• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

The Guardian at the moment have got it in for Mourinho in a big way, which is bloody tiresome.

I knew a bloke who moved down with The Guardian and he was a massive City fans, he use to have a season ticket and go up there every home game, poor sod passed away before they hit the jackpot.

Saw some story that Ashley Young is set to be replaced in next squad with Luka Shaw.
Seems strange to me. Not just because Ashley Young should never have been near the England team in the first a
place but that they would think the next best thing is someone who has played 3 leagues games for a side that has lost 2 of them, conceding a load of goals!
I'm not saying Shaw won't discover some form and become an England regular but there has to be some decent full backs to pick ahead of him right now?

Shaw is in form, even if Utd arent.

He is also a proper LB, unlike Young. So him and Rose being in the squad makes perfect sense.

Who else is there?

No one obvious. KWP plays there for the U21s (with Kenny at RB)

Joe Gomez can do a job there (though is really a CB), and is a much better player/prospect than Shaw

Me? The pensioner who lives next door to me? Maldini's probably fitter than Shaw too.

Ha! Well yes - fair point - no guarantee Shaw will be available.

No one obvious. KWP plays there for the U21s (with Kenny at RB)

Joe Gomez can do a job there (though is really a CB), and is a much better player/prospect than Shaw
Totally different player. Shaw is playing, for Utd, and is playing well - I dont think its controversial for Southgate to pick him in the squad.

Who's the lad at Pool?

Hes Scottish - Robertson?

Gomez was starting ahead of Walker in the back 3 before his injury. Him and Tarkowski are the obvious first new defenders to bring in.

Yes, CBs, so what does that have to do with Shaw as a WB/FB?

Both can happen, neither one is dependent on the other.

Cahill out - Gomez/Tarkowski in
Young out - Shaw in

There is no connection

Yes, CBs, so what does that have to do with Shaw as a WB/FB?

Both can happen, neither one is dependent on the other.

Cahill out - Gomez/Tarkowski in
Young out - Shaw in

There is no connection

Sure. It's just that Shaw isn't very good and Gomez does play FB, so it's a way of getting two better players in the squad.

Shaw is a fine player when on form, which he is.

Ive got nothing against Gomez, but it seems a bit funny to me peoples willingness to write off Shaw.

For us, as well as for England where his inclusion is perfectly logical.

Its hardly a controversial choice.

England squad
Goalkeepers:
Jack Butland (Stoke),
Jordan Pickford (Everton),
Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

Defenders:
Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool),
Fabian Delph (Emirates Marketing Project),
Joe Gomez (Liverpool),
Harry Maguire (Leicester City)
Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur),
Luke Shaw (Manchester United),
John Stones (Emirates Marketing Project),
James Tarkowski (Burnley),
Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur),
Kyle Walker (Emirates Marketing Project)

Midfielders:
Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur),
Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur),
Jordan Henderson (Liverpool),
Adam Lallana (Liverpool),
Jesse Lingard (Manchester United),
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards:
Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
Marcus Rashford (Manchester United),
Raheem Sterling (Emirates Marketing Project),
Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

GB logic flawed again, Gomes, Tarkowski and Shaw all in the squad.
Still, for the life of me, cannot understand Welbeck making the cut.
Lallana a little surprise, has he been playing? Good player on his day, but 30 now and not played much football the last year - so I didnt even think of him making it in.

Lallana has not been playing,he is decent if he can stay fit.

From what I know Sancho is a similar player (linking MF & Forwards) to Lallana- Southgate may have a system that requires that sort of player but does not think Sancho is there yet and putting him into the first team now may damage his development. This way the other players can get used to the system (with Lallana) and then Sancho can slot in at a later date once he has developed. Makes more sense than playing Welbs or Lingard only to make the change to a clever player at a later time imo.

Other players may be better than Lallana or played more minutes, but no one with his skillset.

Last edited:
Back