• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I'm going to be a daddy

My kids (3 years + almost 11 months) don't sleep more than three hour shifts (max) at night and especially never after 6am. Which is a genetic absurdity and very frustrating, as neither me nor the wife are morning people. All we want to do between 6am and 9am is sleep. (the rest of the night too)

As a result of constant interrupted sleep (or lack of), my projected life span is likely shrinking every night (as we speak, actually). But I still love the buggers to bits.

Despite the cronic lack of previously precious things like good sleep, a private life, my own personal space, sex and energy, being a father is actually awesome. Which is something pre-dad me would never understand. Dad-me struggles to understand the concept too at times; that even with those important things missing, life is generally better with kids than it was without.

It will just be slightly shorter.
Try this...
http://gro.co.uk/product/gro-clock/
Worked a treat for mine - they wouldn't get up until the sun showed (we set it later and later by 5 mins each morning until we reached the "don't take the tinkle" setting)

Try this...
http://gro.co.uk/product/gro-clock/
Worked a treat for mine - they wouldn't get up until the sun showed (we set it later and later by 5 mins each morning until we reached the "don't take the tinkle" setting)

Oh, we've tried this with the oldest - two different clocks like this, actually - but she's stubborn as hell, and ignored them both. Didn't matter if the monkey/cow/dog whatever was still sleeping (the sun too), she just got up whenever she wanted to. :confused:

It's getting better now she's older, though, and gets the whole day/night concept, although darker winter afternoons are a little confusing. We're saving the clocks for her little brother, who isn't quite as stubborn (yet), in the hope it will work for him and we can start sleeping properly again before it's too late... :p

My kids (3 years + almost 11 months) don't sleep more than three hour shifts (max) at night and especially never after 6am. Which is a genetic absurdity and very frustrating, as neither me nor the wife are morning people. All we want to do between 6am and 9am is sleep. (the rest of the night too)

As a result of constant interrupted sleep (or lack of), my projected life span is likely shrinking every night (as we speak, actually). But I still love the buggers to bits.

Despite the cronic lack of previously precious things like good sleep, a private life, my own personal space, sex and energy, being a father is actually awesome. Which is something pre-dad me would never understand. Dad-me struggles to understand the concept too at times; that even with those important things missing, life is generally better with kids than it was without.

It will just be slightly shorter.

Its simple, we change. I and my wife were never morning people, but now after 9 years of it every day of the week i am up at 6am. Ok i may laze around in bed a bit on the weekend but fundamentally i am awake!

I'm losing it. My littlest, nearly 4, won't go to sleep. Every damn night, he turns into a Tasmanian devil!

Tried everything, nothing works. Can't plan anything, the evenings are spent trying to remain calm and sane, but I end up tinkled off any tired after 3 hours of this brick.

I'm losing it. My littlest, nearly 4, won't go to sleep. Every damn night, he turns into a Tasmanian devil!

Tried everything, nothing works. Can't plan anything, the evenings are spent trying to remain calm and sane, but I end up tinkled off any tired after 3 hours of this brick.
Drugs? (For whom I'll leave up to you.)

Are you giving him any foods/drinks before he goes crazy? My son goes mad after sweets/chocolate but the thing that makes him go most crazy is blackcurrant squash... it seems so innocuous, just a diluted bit of squash, but he turns into a LOON.

Are you giving him any foods/drinks before he goes crazy? My son goes mad after sweets/chocolate but the thing that makes him go most crazy is blackcurrant squash... it seems so innocuous, just a diluted bit of squash, but he turns into a LOON.
The only constant in the equation is c (crazy). We can have a nice evening, a healthy meal and read a book together. When it's time to say good night, the game is on.
Hoping it's just a phase, he hasn't always been like this.

Saw Elbow's recent show here in Toronto and had to laugh when Guy Garvey intro'd a song called Magnificent (She Says).

He put the lyrics together after learning that his wife was pregnant with their first child and would be delivering a daughter. Inspired, he really worked on creating a marvellous song with lyrics to show how he felt about her impending arrival.

After laying down early tracks of the song with the band, the happy couple went for another ultrasound a few weeks later and it was then that Garvey told us "I saw the first pictures of my daughter's penis."

The song was too good and too deep into production to change. Just as well, too. Lovely song that stood out in the show, so here's wishing more kids to them if that's the result.

Great comedy show now in its second season called Life In Pieces, about the family doings amongst two brothers, a sister, their parents and assorted loved ones and children from newborns to teens. Half hour episodes with four separated stories per show. Hilarious and occasionally quite poignant. Tom Hanks son, Colin, is a hoot in the same self-deprecating style of his dad.

The only constant in the equation is c (crazy). We can have a nice evening, a healthy meal and read a book together. When it's time to say good night, the game is on.
Hoping it's just a phase, he hasn't always been like this.
Have you moved the clocks forward yet?

My son refuses to go to bed before 8pm, so our clocks are all 45 minutes fast. That way he's asleep by 8 after all the delaying tactics.

Have you moved the clocks forward yet?

My son refuses to go to bed before 8pm, so our clocks are all 45 minutes fast. That way he's asleep by 8 after all the delaying tactics.
He can't tell time. It's like a defense mechanism, he looks tired and rubs his eyes, but he won't close them and let the Sandman do his job... Instead he talks about random stuff, jump up and down, go to the toilet, basically anything but lay still.

One trick we've read is to sit in his room and pay no attention to what he's doing. Read a book while he does his thing. No good when you can't keep him in bed without using force...

Tried tiring him out before bedtime, chasing and playing, exhausting him. Nope.
Took him cross country skiing the other day, fresh air and tired legs. Nope.

Out 7 year old is not a problem anymore, he usually stays in bed and can feel when he's tired. But the little one messes him up with his nightly activities.

Hope tonight will be the turning point, I've got some ribeye in the fridge ;)

He can't tell time. It's like a defense mechanism, he looks tired and rubs his eyes, but he won't close them and let the Sandman do his job... Instead he talks about random stuff, jump up and down, go to the toilet, basically anything but lay still.

One trick we've read is to sit in his room and pay no attention to what he's doing. Read a book while he does his thing. No good when you can't keep him in bed without using force...

Tried tiring him out before bedtime, chasing and playing, exhausting him. Nope.
Took him cross country skiing the other day, fresh air and tired legs. Nope.

Out 7 year old is not a problem anymore, he usually stays in bed and can feel when he's tired. But the little one messes him up with his nightly activities.

Hope tonight will be the turning point, I've got some ribeye in the fridge ;)
Has he started kicking or biting yet?

Back