• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re. Lamela's tackling, I think that he has got a bit of a temper on him and loses his head for a little while after someone has clattered him

Like with a lot of things Lamela his risk/reward calculations seem a bit... misinformed... at times. He does have a temper, but he does also come into tackles in our own half when players are essentially contained with little chance of winning the ball - a bit too frequently. Others do it too, he's still inexperienced at 23, but it's one of those things he should improve on.

He was criticised not so much for the incident that got him the card as for not modifying his behaviour afterwards, given that he'd been booked, and even in the knowledge that the referee's performance had been terrible.

I think that's harsh. I don't think he was ever close to actually getting sent off. And considering what we've seen from much more experienced players like Milner (against us) and Lucas (against Chelsea) I think Lamela looked well in control of what was going on.

He stood up today at the end of the game when everyone else was panicing and hitting long balls back to Villa.
He decided fudge this and ran into the corner with the ball. Real leadership when it was needed and no one else was showing it.
He put on a cynical Argentinian clinic on timewasting and the rest of the team took their cue from this.

Absolutely, did everything right just when we needed someone to take the bull by the horns. We work he did in the corners was good enough, but to cap it off with an assist was top drawer.
I admit I am not his biggest fan, but I will give credit where it is fully deserved. Well done that man

I think that's harsh. I don't think he was ever close to actually getting sent off. And considering what we've seen from much more experienced players like Milner (against us) and Lucas (against Chel53a) I think Lamela looked well in control of what was going on.

Were you at the game? The ref was a loose cannon, and I saw what I saw. The player did alright tonight, though; only had one or two dodgy moments and demonstrated good professionalism at a time we were threatening to fall apart.

Last edited:
He stood up today at the end of the game when everyone else was panicing and hitting long balls back to Villa.
He decided fudge this and ran into the corner with the ball. Real leadership when it was needed and no one else was showing it.
He put on a cynical Argentinian clinic on timewasting and the rest of the team took their cue from this.

Definitely one of his most mature performances in a Spurs shirt I can remember.

And the quiet confidence starting to grow when at the end he could have taken a touch and gone for the glory goal himself, but instead does the smart thing and quickly sets up his team mate.

Were you at the game? The ref was a loose cannon, and I saw what I saw. The player did alright tonight, though; only had one or two dodgy moments and demonstrated good professionalism at a time we were threatening to fall apart.

Watched it on tv. Thought the ref was awful. But the player at risk of getting sent off was Milner, not Lamela.

Walking the balance between agression and standing off doesn't mean not tackling after getting a yellow. It means not putting in a tackle that gets you sent off if you miss it. He didn't do that from what I remember.

Walking the balance between agression and standing off doesn't mean not tackling after getting a yellow. It means not putting in a tackle that gets you sent off if you miss it. He didn't do that from what I remember.

It doesn't mean not tackling, but it does mean avoiding lunging in with your arms flailing all over the place, which Lamela did on more than one occasion after his caution, whether you saw it or not. That ref could easily have reacted to one of those sorts of challenges, and the player needs to learn to control himself better.

Nice assist there, easy to overcook those or go for goal yourself. Smart performance last nice, retained possession pretty well and worked hard. Chased a lot of balls over the top. Did give it away a couple of times in the 1st half but seemed to learn from that and improved as the game went on.

He was poor for the first 85 minutes yesterday. Very poor in fact.

But his contribution in the last 5 minutes arguably sealed the win. He held the ball up well, kept it in Villa's half, caused a threat from the short corners and then set did well to set up the goal when most players probably would have tried to score themselves. Amongst a young squad that level of maturity at a crucial moment in the game is highly appreciated.

I can see why some people rate him. But I don't think the flashes of brilliance are either regular, nor brilliant enough to justify his price tag nor his long term place in the team. I would still prefer that he is replaced by Son in the starting lineup as soon as possible.

When he did that the bloke next to me said "Nice of Lamela to finally do something worthwhile in the 90th minute, even if that worthwhile thing is simply running the clock down". I thought he summed it up perfectly.
He was poor for the first 85 minutes yesterday. Very poor in fact.

But his contribution in the last 5 minutes arguably sealed the win. He held the ball up well, kept it in Villa's half, caused a threat from the short corners and then set did well to set up the goal when most players probably would have tried to score themselves. Amongst a young squad that level of maturity at a crucial moment in the game is highly appreciated.

I can see why some people rate him. But I don't think the flashes of brilliance are either regular, nor brilliant enough to justify his price tag nor his long term place in the team. I would still prefer that he is replaced by Son in the starting lineup as soon as possible.

I thought he was absolutely woeful and a bit of holding the ball up in the 90th minute and an injury time assist did not mean the 85 minutes before that should be excused. I think he was very, very lucky to still be on the pitch at that point as he should've been hooked much earlier for constantly failing to give Walker any help as Villa overloaded our right hand side.

Certainly dont think he was woeful or bad. He made one rash challenge that I can remember and up until the assist he didn't create anything but did anyone else really when we were coasting.... not IMO

I thought he had a decent game and did some smart thing at the end

When he did that the bloke next to me said "Nice of Lamela to finally do something worthwhile in the 90th minute, even if that worthwhile thing is simply running the clock down". I thought he summed it up perfectly.

I thought he was absolutely woeful and a bit of holding the ball up in the 90th minute and an injury time assist did not mean the 85 minutes before that should be excused. I think he was very, very lucky to still be on the pitch at that point as he should've been hooked much earlier for constantly failing to give Walker any help as Villa overloaded our right hand side.

When in the game did that "constantly" happen?

He created 5 chances, got an assist, lost possession twice, and completed 88% of his passes, but you think he was woeful?
Yep I thought he was back to his frustrating worst again. I honestly can't remember the five chances that he created. There was the injury time goal and the corner that Rose nearly scored from. What were the other three? Did we even have three other chances in the game? I'm also not sure that you can always tell the story with stats. There were occasions when Lamela got the ball with us in a good position to break, failed to get it under control quickly, turned the wrong way, paused and then eventually passed it (admittedly to one of our players) In the game stats that would go down as one of his 88% completed passes. In the reality of the game it is a wasted opportunity.

Yep I thought he was back to his frustrating worst again. I honestly can't remember the five chances that he created. There was the injury time goal and the corner that Rose nearly scored from. What were the other three? Did we even have three other chances in the game? I'm also not sure that you can always tell the story with stats. There were occasions when Lamela got the ball with us in a good position to break, failed to get it under control quickly, turned the wrong way, paused and then eventually passed it (admittedly to one of our players) In the game stats that would go down as one of his 88% completed passes. In the reality of the game it is a wasted opportunity.
Don't agree at all. I think the worse you could say in the first half was that he did nothing of note neither in an attacking nor defensive sense but rather just kept play moving. I certainly don't remember many occasions where he failed to get the ball under control. I'd say this part of his game has significantly improved and he doesn't give the ball away with the frequency of last season. In fact as you point out I remember him being pretty tidy in possession his passes finding his team mates . I remember him being fouled on a number of occasions by the oaf Richardson and him putting in a delicious cross to Rose. I would describe Lamela as a mercurial talent, he could have a quiet game then do something special that will turn the game. Unfortunately we have this obsession in English Football of training work horses and athletes and training out skill.

Back