• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Kid has got something special about him. He could be a world class player one day if he keeps developing - still has a way to go, but I´m hoping he will have an impact for us in the latter stages of this season, once he settles more and adapts to the PL. He looked more confident today than I´ve seen him before for Spurs, which is a good sign. Ridiculous dive, though.

His ball to the back post for siggy was outstanding by the way.

hope he starts against Stoke getting confidence going into OT.

The only player who managed to pass to another white shirt today.

I have seen this sort of this said about our performance numerous times today and it is quite frankly utter b0llocks...

Let's do a little comparison shall we?

United 2-2 H: 338 passes, 72% completion, 10 shots
Hull 1-0 H: 576 passes, 86% completion, 15 shots
Norwich 2-0 H: 691 passes, 87% completion, 23 shots
Swansea 1-0 H: 490 passes, 84% completion, 21 shots
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 0-1 H: 521 passes, 85% completion, 31 shots
Chelsea 1-1 H: 436 passes, 80% completion, 12 shots

West Brom 1-1 H: 558 passes, 81% completion, 20 shots

Basically, this was a pretty average passing performance from our team. Yes, we played a bit more direct, and yes our total number of passes and completion rate suffered compared to most of our home games. But we were by no means the massive crock of sh!t that most of the pathetic doom-mongers around here would have us all believe.

Back to the point of the thread... Lamela finally looked confident enough to run at players, take them on and move the ball. Promising signs.

I have seen this sort of this said about our performance numerous times today and it is quite frankly utter b0llocks...

Basically, this was a pretty average passing performance from our team. Yes, we played a bit more direct, and yes our total number of passes and completion rate suffered compared to most of our home games. But we were by no means the massive crock of sh!t that most of the pathetic doom-mongers around here would have us all believe.

Back to the point of the thread... Lamela finally looked confident enough to run at players, take them on and move the ball. Promising signs.

Exactly. Its funny how everytime I come on here half the forum are going on about how we are absolute rubbish, cant pass to each other etc yet when I read or listen to match analysis from the media the story is quite different (not to mention what I see with my own eyes). Not saying there isnt areas to be criticised but a lot of the over the top reactions to games on here is hard to undersand....

I reckon I'm a fairly rational fan although I do have my irrational reactions sometimes but I am justified today I feel.

Clearly my statement above is facetious but we were pants I the final third. 20 shots, how many on target? 3. Those passes are fine in midfield but West Brom are a poor manager less side and we barely looked like creating anything. In and around the box the number of easy passes that were intercepted was unreal it felt.

Part of my criticism today is for Sherwood's poorly balanced side. To be fair I only would have put Capoue ahead of Holtby and encouraged the full backs further forward. Injuries have restricted him a bit.

The players however today deserve most of my criticism. I do feel they are massively under performing and there's only so many excuses they can use. We need consistency but some of the basic fundamental mistakes now are getting silly. Dawson cross field passes, Vlads lack of concentration, the numerous 5 yard passes that went astray, the poor delivery into the box time after time.

Not bad today.

Will probably start for the Stoke game. I sincerely hope he is dreaming about the United game.

Someone has to explain what is going on with Lamela. Every time he plays he looks like one of our best players. Yet all he gets is 20 minute cameos. I cannot for the life of me see what AVB or Sherwood see in Chadli that makes them think he merits a place ahead of Lamela. The only way he will adapt to the PL is if he plays in it. It was fair enough not to play him much in September but come October he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Has he f***** Levy's daughter or something. From what I've heard he doesn't have much of an ego. In fact it sounds like he's the opposite and doesn't speak enough.

Technically, he is probably the best player we have and someone needs to explain why he isn't being used.

Someone has to explain what is going on with Lamela. Every time he plays he looks like one of our best players. Yet all he gets is 20 minute cameos. I cannot for the life of me see what AVB or Sherwood see in Chadli that makes them think he merits a place ahead of Lamela. The only way he will adapt to the PL is if he plays in it. It was fair enough not to play him much in September but come October he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Has he f***** Levy's daughter or something. From what I've heard he doesn't have much of an ego. In fact it sounds like he's the opposite and doesn't speak enough.

Technically, he is probably the best player we have and someone needs to explain why he isn't being used.

It is ridiculous. Just play the boy now, he was bought to play football. For Tottenham Hotspur. For crying out loud just play the boy!!! Arrghhhh. This club does my bloody head in sometimes.

one of the more disappointing "record signings ". a couple of optimists here say there have been flashes of brilliance, even if there have been, he's not changing games or scoring goals. He's very lightweight, reminds me a bit of postiga when he played for us, couldn't handle the physicality of the league, I think he goes back to the more genteel climes of serie A sooner rather than later

He was probably our best player today in 15 minutes and he didn't do anything that amazing, says it all

he is class and will be world class - but I doubt it will be with us. 1-2 good seasons and he will be off like berbs, mods, bale..we have a large stake in him to make it work.

For me it's the complete opposite. Chadli does his job and gets crosses in. Lamela tends to take on an opponent and fail too often ATM. They both look best when coming on as a sub though, which is only natural as everyone else is tiring at that point.

I reckon I'm a fairly rational fan although I do have my irrational reactions sometimes but I am justified today I feel.

Clearly my statement above is facetious but we were pants I the final third. 20 shots, how many on target? 3. Those passes are fine in midfield but West Brom are a poor manager less side and we barely looked like creating anything. In and around the box the number of easy passes that were intercepted was unreal it felt.

Part of my criticism today is for Sherwood's poorly balanced side. To be fair I only would have put Capoue ahead of Holtby and encouraged the full backs further forward. Injuries have restricted him a bit.

The players however today deserve most of my criticism. I do feel they are massively under performing and there's only so many excuses they can use. We need consistency but some of the basic fundamental mistakes now are getting silly. Dawson cross field passes, Vlads lack of concentration, the numerous 5 yard passes that went astray, the poor delivery into the box time after time.

do you think a week is enough to erase AVB's indoctrinated methods of play???

do you think a week is enough to erase AVB's indoctrinated methods of play???

In all likelihood, NBD is just discovering what AVB did - that getting a whole load of new players to gel well enough to play intricate passes in the final third takes time.

I'm not sure what Lamela does, or is meant to do? What aspect of his game makes him a world class prospect? Eriksen has settled in almost immediately and I can see aspects of his game that mark him out as an above average player. But all I see with Lamela is him taking his man on and getting tackled most of the time. He doesn't seem particularly quick or strong on the ball. I'm not sure where he should be playing.

On the plus side he has played a couple of incisive passes or tried to. And he tries to give the ball early, and play short one-twos, but I don't see anything that makes him potentially special or worth the extraordinary money we paid for him (who made that decision?) -considering other players that go for that kind of money. (We could/should have kept Thudd and saved some money).

I would say there is a very good chance that both Lamela and Soldado will be sold in the summer at a loss.

I'm not sure what Lamela does, or is meant to do? What aspect of his game makes him a world class prospect? Eriksen has settled in almost immediately and I can see aspects of his game that mark him out as an above average player. But all I see with Lamela is him taking his man on and getting tackled most of the time. He doesn't seem particularly quick or strong on the ball. I'm not sure where he should be playing.

On the plus side he has played a couple of incisive passes or tried to. And he tries to give the ball early, and play short one-twos, but I don't see anything that makes him potentially special or worth the extraordinary money we paid for him (who made that decision?) -considering other players that go for that kind of money. (We could/should have kept Thudd and saved some money).

I would say there is a very good chance that both Lamela and Soldado will be sold in the summer at a loss.

I'd say you're judging him on a handful of games, half of which he has come on as a sub. This will be true of all of our new signings. I don't think any of them are poor players by any stretch. I'm frustrated with the players to a degree because they are making fundamental mistakes which is not a bedding in problem.

Really hope the stories linking this lad with a loan move to Italy are false.....

I have seen enough to convince me that this kid could be amazing in the near future.....really hope we are not giving up on him so soon.

At Roma (admittedly Serie A is a much worse league than the English Premier League) there were signs he could become amazing over time.

Here though? What are you seeing that the majority of us aren't? I think you're just trying to convince yourself more than anything. He dwells on the ball too much at the moment and is as light as a feather. Doesn't help but that he's so low on confidence.

He could well turn out amazing but there haven't been any signs of it yet with us.

At Roma (admittedly Serie A is a much worse league than the English Premier League) there were signs he could become amazing over time.

Here though? What are you seeing that the majority of us aren't? I think you're just trying to convince yourself more than anything. He dwells on the ball too much at the moment and is as light as a feather. Doesn't help but that he's so low on confidence.

He could well turn out amazing but there haven't been any signs of it yet with us.

I would say the assist vs Cardiff............The europa league game.........I can see exquisite control and he trys things that others seem unable to pull off.

Some mentioned it before about the southampton game.......it was his quick thinking and exqusite pass that led to our first goal.....in the same game he pulled a difficult ball down on his chest and tried a lobbed through ball to solly which nearly came off.

Perhaps I am trying to convince myself.....and hoping he will come very good.....but surely we should pesevere for more than half a season no?????? flogging him could be one of the biggest mistakes we could make.

Back