• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

The Guardian article is essential reading. This boy needs and deserves a break from some of his critics.
I suppose many people are not the experts they purport to be in terms of what happens within the club and within the lives of footballers.

We signed him Aug 2013, according to the below site he has had 64 starts, and 32 sub appearances in the league in that time (scoring 8).

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=62762

This says 96 appearances so seems to confirm.
13/14 - 9
14/15 - 33
15/16 - 34
16/17 - 9
17/18 - 11
https://www.premierleague.com/players/4842/Erik-Lamela/stats

As good as a player he can be, I think that his reliability is absolutely in question at this point. As is the idea he hasnt yet shown us the best of his potential.

Ive said many times, I love him - I think he has something special about him - but if I were managing him I would have to look elsewhere for cover/competition because at this point Id be a fool to assume I could get a full season out of him.

There are news reports from Italy that says we have offered Lamela on loan to Roma. It cannot be true. Surely Pochettino and Levy won't be that stupid ! We have waited more than 1 year for Lamela to return from injury. It will be madness to loan him out just when he is regaining his best form. Besides, we are lacking depth in midfield and don't look like buying anyone so far.

Assuming Moura does arrive, as seems increasingly likely, it creates 5 players (Son, Eriksen, Lamela, Dele and Moura) for 3 spots, which is decent level of competition. Of those, I'd say that Dele, Eriksen and Moura would be our first choice trio, though lots of rotation given multiple competitions and injuries so all would get reasonable game time over a season.

However I can't decide whether Lamela is the sort of player who needs to play week in week out in order to be on form. If you take Son, it always feels like he can come on for 20-30 mins or come into the side after being out, and deliver very quickly - kind of like Solskjaer used to for Man U. Moura's pace would always make him seem like a potential impact player; I'm not sure that Lamela is.

The good thing is that he seems to have a great attitude so wouldnt strop if he wasnt a first choice; just wonder whether we'd get the best out of him if he wasnt

Assuming Moura does arrive, as seems increasingly likely, it creates 5 players (Son, Eriksen, Lamela, Dele and Moura) for 3 spots, which is decent level of competition. Of those, I'd say that Dele, Eriksen and Moura would be our first choice trio, though lots of rotation given multiple competitions and injuries so all would get reasonable game time over a season.

Why would he automatically get in ahead of an inform Son who has scored 8 league and 3 CL goals this season?

@AdamB I would suggest at the very least Moura start on the bench and earn a place in any starting 11 just as Dele did when he joined us. First Dele did enough in training to earn a place on the bench and then in subsequent sub appearances did enough to force his way in the starting 11, Moura simply does not have enough credit in the bank to automatically get in the team ahead of Son, particularly as he has achieved just 6 sub appearances all season

Why would he automatically get in ahead of an inform Son who has scored 8 league and 3 CL goals this season?

Yes, I agree. I didnt mean from the moment he arrived - thats not Poch's style in the slightest even if you set aside Son's form. I meant once he had settled in and assuming all on similar form

Not in the team today even though most of the players making their way back from Injury are. Not even on the bench.

Fuel to the rumours?

Back