• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Lamela now has 2 goals and 5 assists in 7 matches this season. That makes it 4 goals and 9 assists in 13 matches for us since last season. Remember he has not started the last 2 league matches which is really disappointing. Lamela should be an automatic starter for us unless he is injured.

Frankly, we should built our team around Lamela as he is our most creative player. Also, he should be made one of the vice captains. Found it annoying that Carroll was made the captain after Eriksen was replaced against Gillingham.

Lamela now has 2 goals and 5 assists in 7 matches this season. That makes it 4 goals and 9 assists in 13 matches for us since last season. Remember he has not started the last 2 league matches which is really disappointing. Lamela should be an automatic starter for us unless he is injured.

Frankly, we should built our team around Lamela as he is our most creative player. Also, he should be made one of the vice captains. Found it annoying that Carroll was made the captain after Eriksen was replaced against Gillingham.

He was to be captain after eriksen went off but he never stood still long enough to get the arm band on.

Lamela is great and getting better all of the time. It was great to see him taking responsibility on Wednesday night. Eriksen is our most creative player though, he creates the most chances and when he is on form, the team plays so much better.

We have so many good players at the moment and no real top level superstar so I don't think it's advantageous to build the team around a single player. I really rate Lamela (and have done so all along), but right now he has real competition from Eriksen, Alli, Son (and hopefully soon Sissoko and Nkoudou). That's a good thing, but I still think Lamela should be starting if we want our strongest team out.

Carroll has been at Spurs for 8-9 years now I think. He looked absolutely chuffed to be given the armband when he got it and I can only think it will motivate him further and perhaps even serve as a bit of an inspiration to younger players. Absolutely the right decision for me.

Time for his new contract IMO. Been superb overall for just over a year now and a new contract for him and Lloris would be the icing on the cake.

Time for his new contract IMO. Been superb overall for just over a year now and a new contract for him and Lloris would be the icing on the cake.

He was on quite a high wage when he joined. That might be a stumbling block on negotiations on a new deal. As good as he is, he doesn't deserve to be on more than Eriksen or Dembele.

Eriksen is our most creative player and Kane is our best player so we need to build the team around him ideally.

With Son's improvement/adaptation to English football, the addition of Sissoko and us also having Eriksen and Alli - 2 very good players are going to miss out every game. I think Pochettino is currently managing his squad over a particularly busy period of games.

With Son's improvement/adaptation to English football, the addition of Sissoko and us also having Eriksen and Alli - 2 very good players are going to miss out every game. I think Pochettino is currently managing his squad over a particularly busy period of games.
Agreed.
He also knows exactly what Lamela will do, whether it's for 20 or 90 mins
He is giving Son the chance to show the same, so when the time comes for Son to sit out a game he should be fresh and confident and raring to go from the bench if needed.
Sissoko is having opportunity to settle in and be used to the system and new team mates

Should give us a pool of players all ready and raring to go, so when an injury, suspension or dip in form comes someone can "slot in" rather than "step up"

80 touches, 6 take-ons: Lamela's touch of class helps Spurs down CSKA

The Tottenham midfielder played a vital role in his club's first Champions League points of the season.

tottenhams_son_heungmin_celebrates_scoring_their_first_goal_with_331212.jpg

Tottenham's Son Heung-min celebrates scoring their first goal with Erik Lamela

Tottenham Hotspur's Erik Lamela may not have grab the headlines after the Londoners' hugely important 1-0 win away to CSKA Moscow, but again the Argentine showed his importance for the Lilywhites with a crucial assist.

The winger certainly didn't have his best game for Spurs away to CSKA, with the Argentine among a group of talented attacking Tottenham players who just failed to send the ball through at the right angle, or just failed to control the ball ideally, when in a number of promising positions.

Particularly in the first half, the 24-year-old was unable to make a difference in the final third, despite Spurs having plenty of possession. Even though CSKA were the home team, they looked hugely cautious against a Tottenham side that was missing five of its first team players.

In the second period, and particularly with the introduction of Georges-Kevin Nkoudou, things improved somewhat, and it was Lamela who received the ball between midfield and defence in the 71st minute and then played an inch perfect pass through to Son, who squeezed it past Igor Akinfeev.

Below are Lamela's stats from the match:
Goal Assist : 1
Total Attempted Assists : 3
Total Scoring Attempts : 3
Duel Won : 6
Successful Take Ons : 6
Touches : 80
Accurate Pass : 50
Mins Played : 90

The two stand out statistics for Lamela are of course the vital assist to the only goal in the game, but also the the Argentina international's excellent dribbling numbers. With six successful take ons, no player dribbled past more players than Lamela in the Champions League on Tuesday night.

As can be expected now from the former Roma man, he was also combative, winning six duels for possession, while his 80 touches and 50 accurate passes, in an attacking midfield position, also demonstrate how involved he was in the game.

The match was lacking that final moment of class in and around either penalty area, but Lamela's through ball to Son is very much the decisive moment in Tottenham's Champions League campaign thus far.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/09/2...s-lamelas-touch-of-class-helps-spurs-down-cs/

------------------------------------------------

Lamela now has 2 goals and 6 assists so far this season. His ability to create goals for others is helping us greatly this season. Just wish he can score more goals as well.

Just taking the time to savour the fact that lamela has become such a player for us. Got so much stick the first two years, we almost sold him. He didn't give up and became somewhat of a beast of a hard working creative force. Love it. It just show that fans too often give up on players too early. To think that some are negative of Janssen already, for instance, ridiculous.

I don't watch so many Spurs games each year, so my experience is limited, but I have watched our two CL games so far and the only negative thing I can come up with against Erik is that he, sometimes plays with too small margins. The borderline between a successful pass and the opposite it too small.

Risk taking is crucial when it comes to breaking down packed defenses though.

We need to be bold. It's something that we weren't often enough last year.

Small margins decide results and define championships.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's a deliberate tactic - playing passes which drag defenders to the ball and out of position leaving space for us to move in to

For me that's why our attack has been so poor this season, waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen. It's not until late in matches where we have forced the issue that we've created good chances.

You have to select your moments when taking risk and when not taking then though. And when I watch Erik I get an impression that he, sometimes wants too much. Making a few safe passes during a match that takes 90 minutes is not a bad habit; you cannot make those match decisive passes all the time, particularly not on your own half.

Just taking the time to savour the fact that lamela has become such a player for us. Got so much stick the first two years, we almost sold him. He didn't give up and became somewhat of a beast of a hard working creative force. Love it. It just show that fans too often give up on players too early. To think that some are negative of Janssen already, for instance, ridiculous.

See my posts about lamella when he joined - I was very happy as I'd seen him at Roma

Then he regressed a lot - so I made my views known

Then he won me over again - so I was wrong about him and gladly admit it

It's why I'm with you and defend Jansenn. It's hard hitting the ground running and possibly more so in a settled successful side. More so too when your young and inexperienced.

If it was easy to play in our league we would have better players joining in their prime but they generally don't as yet

An OT lamella is now being recognised by fans of other sides for how good he is too

Recently he has started turning the ball over in dangerous areas again. He did it against Monaco which resulted in a goal and he did it again against City. How many league goals does he have again?

He can hold the ball too long, or be caught in indecision. If he can remedy that, the rest of his game is excellent.

Back