• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

It was a 'throw-back' performance, him playing like he used to for us when tracking back. Dizzy, tricks in our own half. I think it was because of a new setup where he was asked to play more central to bolster midfield. If Wanyama or Dembele was on Lamela could have stuck to his normal game being creative in the opposition half, and tracking back to double up with Walker.

It was a 'throw-back' performance, him playing like he used to for us when tracking back. Dizzy, tricks in our own half. I think it was because of a new setup where he was asked to play more central to bolster midfield. If Wanyama or Dembele was on Lamela could have stuck to his normal game being creative in the opposition half, and tracking back to double up with Walker.

I agree, look at the time Monaco had to get a cross in for the second goal, eriksen was about 10 yards away and didn't seem to know where he should be.
Same with dele in the centre and two defenders going for the cross.
Whatever the tweeks poch has made during the close season are they haven't bedded in yet.

I agree, look at the time Monaco had to get a cross in for the second goal, eriksen was about 10 yards away and didn't seem to know where he should be.
Same with dele in the centre and two defenders going for the cross.
Whatever the tweeks poch has made during the close season are they haven't bedded in yet.

I think it was just this game - moving from two DMs to a setup which included Son. As we'd looked so potent against Stoke with that setup, scoring 3 goals.

I think it was just this game - moving from two DMs to a setup which included Son. As we'd looked so potent against Stoke with that setup, scoring 3 goals.
Looking at the signing of gorgeous George and sissoko I reckon poch is tweaking our play, this will take a while to bed in.
It's not helped by not getting those two until late.
I expect the performance against stoke to become the norm, there was flashes against Liverpool as well. Early season inconsistencies are to be expected.

Lamela fudgeed up but you don't concede a goal from that position of the pitch, there was still plenty of time/opportunity for us to stop the attack.

Exactly!

I would have thought/hoped that knowing an oppositions player favoured foot is basic 101 football defensive knowledge, or is the new 'Belgium method', where they are so good they dont need to know such mundane information.

Jan should be washing cars this week as a forfeit.

Looking at the signing of gorgeous George and sissoko I reckon poch is tweaking our play, this will take a while to bed in.
It's not helped by not getting those two until late.
I expect the performance against stoke to become the norm, there was flashes against Liverpool as well. Early season inconsistencies are to be expected.

Why?

I would love to see this group of players being tutored by Guardiola.
I doubt we would see the same lackadaisical attitude we saw from the majority last night.

Why?

I would love this group of players being tutored by Guardiola for a couple of months.
I doubt many would be playing for us in month 3
Peo has a few more years of managerial experience than Poch. Young (inexperienced) team + young (inexperienced) manager = learning curves and bad results.

Lamela fudgeed up but you don't concede a goal from that position of the pitch, there was still plenty of time/opportunity for us to stop the attack.
I disagree completely. Why do you think that Guardiola, Pochettino, Biesla, Klopp, etc all like to deploy a high press? It is because turning over the ball high up the pitch equates to more/better chances being created. When Lamela gave away that ball it was the perfect counter attacking scenario for the opposition.... They had possession centrally, deep inside our half, with our fullbacks starting to push on and our midfield heading forward to join our attack so that they were effectively facing up a centre half one on one in open space. Attacking situations like that are dream scenarios. In a situation like that I would expect a team to end up taking a shot at goal more often than not. Once Lamela had lost the ball the best outcome was probably for Davies to ensure his attempt at a tackle would take their man out at all costs.

Exactly!

I would have thought/hoped that knowing an oppositions player favoured foot is basic 101 football defensive knowledge, or is the new 'Belgium method', where they are so good they dont need to know such mundane information.

Jan should be washing cars this week as a forfeit.
Again I disagree completely.... It looked to me as though Vertonghen was trying to show the player outside onto his right foot, but the player used the fact that Vertonghen was faced up and backtracking as he did this to cut inside, him cutting inside seemed to cause Vertonghen to lose his feet a little (as he wasn't expecting this) and that, in turn, gave the player the time to get his shot away a fraction before Vertonghen recovered and made his attempt at getting in the block in.

No team wants their opponent to be running one on one against their central defenders, it is why holding midfield players are so commonplace. If you face up any central defender one on one in a reasonably central position you are likely to get joy.

Why?

I would love to see this group of players being tutored by Guardiola.
I doubt we would see the same lackadaisical attitude we saw from the majority last night.
Because our teams style of play is still evolving.
Add to that the shortened close season due to international tournaments and two late squad additions.
Not to mention at one stage or another we have lost our keeper (and captian) the pivot in the middle of the team and both first choice fullbacks.

Because our teams style of play is still evolving.
Add to that the shortened close season due to international tournaments and two late squad additions.
Not to mention at one stage or another we have lost our keeper (and captian) the pivot in the middle of the team and both first choice fullbacks.

All bloody team are "evolving" if you put that way. Poch has been here two seasons and we look to be going backwards. Someone has to take the responsibilities for losing.

We had 85000 people at Wembley last night and they were dished up a fare of mediocrity.

I feel sorry for some of our players because I a Spurs fan for 50 years had the pleasure of seeing what footballing progress really looks like on Saturday at old trafford. City looked superb and what they showed everybody is what is possible with heart and application.
City were the basic same group of players that we dumped on last year bar a couple of newbies.

All bloody team are "evolving" if you put that way. Poch has been here two seasons and we look to be going backwards. Someone has to take the responsibilities for losing.

We had 85000 people at Wembley last night and they were dished up a fare of mediocrity.

I feel sorry for some of our players because I a Spurs fan for 50 years had the pleasure of seeing what footballing progress really looks like on Saturday at old trafford. City looked superb and what they showed everybody is what is possible with heart and application.
City were the basic same group of players that we dumped on last year bar a couple of newbies.
5th followed by 3rd, followed by 4 results in the PL that exactly match our results last season. You have a bloody weird sense of going backwards! We did indeed have 85,000 people at Wembley last night, were you one of them cheering the team on? Or did you prefer to moan from behind a keyboard?

Emirates Marketing Project won their first 5 games last season and everybody was talking about how they were going to walk the league. In the end they didn't ever actually put in a challenge. As I said in another post it is unwise to judge things on a small sample (also did Emirates Marketing Project not spend over £100 million this summer?!?)

If you are going to judge us against Emirates Marketing Project all the time then you are going to be disappointed.

If you are going to judge us against Emirates Marketing Project all the time then you are going to be disappointed.

Its the ability of an individual to improve a group nothing to do with money. Poch talks the talk and then just stumbles when it matters.

Are we are flat track bullies in the making?

Back