• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Imagine yourself in a world where the internal combustion engine has just been invented. Then imagine the reaction of those who have spent their lives making horseshoes or shovelling horse **** or whatever else makes a horse go.

That's pretty much the situation with stats here.

gonad*s.

I hate to go down your route of dissing some posters who you disagree with, but maybe you should go back through my posts and read them properly. How many times do I have to say I worked with stats in football for years and they can be very useful.
So far I've yet to see you agree with a single stat posted on this site. You can talk about the history of what you did before stats in football were properly collected and analysed all you like - it's your actions that clearly mark your bias.

So far I've yet to see you agree with a single stat posted on this site. You can talk about the history of what you did before stats in football were properly collected and analysed all you like - it's your action that clearly mark your bias.

Whatever mate I care little, as I said earlier we were using correctly analysed stats back in the 90's but you carry on trying to suggest to people that you really do know what you are talking about over this. As I say I am not going down your route of trying to belittle those who disagree with you, but needless to say you are talking out of your arse. :D

Whatever mate I care little, as I said earlier we were using correctly analysed stats back in the 90's but you carry on trying to suggest to people that you really do know what you are talking about over this. As I say I am not going down your route of trying to belittle those who disagree with you, but needless to say you are talking out of your arse. :D
Do you realise how much more data is collected now than back then? If you think the two eras are even on the same planet in terms of usefulness then I can only assume you don't.

I fully understand that people were looking at some stats back then, but anyone still analysing them now will tell you what a step change 2009 was for football data.

At least now I know the limitations of the data sets you've been working with I can understand why you don't see the true value in modern stats.

Do you realise how much more data is collected now than back then? If you think the two eras are even on the same planet in terms of usefulness then I can only assume you don't.

I fully understand that people were looking at some stats back then, but anyone still analysing them now will tell you what a step change 2009 was for football data.

At least now I know the limitations of the data sets you've been working with I can understand why you don't see the true value in modern stats.

As I say whatever. We are getting nowhere and I really do not see the point of going round in circles with you over something you have no working knowledge on ( football coaching). We are better agreeing to disagree.

Imagine yourself in a world where the internal combustion engine has just been invented. Then imagine the reaction of those who have spent their lives making horseshoes or shovelling horse **** or whatever else makes a horse go.

That's pretty much the situation with stats here.

Ha! That's yet to be proved just yet but I do agree that the use or interpretation of statistics is going to be the single biggest thing to change the way clubs in general make purchases and assess performance of players.

I've seen stats/data being used in other industries in my line of work and it is just amazing at the outcomes that come of it. In a lot of cases, linkages that are first seen as counter-intuitive come out, so it would not surprise me if the statistical analysis that comes out will challenge the common place beliefs as to which players will be successful.

What this area needs more than anything is more data, and more analysis to prove the aspect. This is why I am looking on with real interest as to what is happening at Brentford. The owners there are putting their money where their mouth is with regards to stats, and that is a very interesting scenario. Not least something very profitable for them.

When they start properly tracking the performance of players, how many touches do they need, how often is their first touch true, how many of their crosses reach their intended target (if indeed there is one), how many shots are on target that require the keeper to move, then I really do believe that the possibilities are endless. What it will require is to have the savvy people interpreting those results and people that are not close-minded i.e. managers/chairmen/directors of football. Embracing this data revoloution is going to allow clubs to close the gap with those that have the financial muscle.

Thanks.

I've actually watched Eriksen play regularly from the age of 16 and was delighted when we signed him, I've been very happy with his performances overall but that doesn't mean I can't point out faults in his game or his poor form in 2015. I don't know why me questioning Eriksen's suitability to the #10 role is being taken as a personal attack.

My apologies for the provocative post. But I suppose that is your point too? To be constructively provocative: Eriksen is not a bad player but is streaky and currently not on form?

If we sign another attacker, I think Eriksen could be played deeper in midfield. But remember how many late goals he got for us over the past couple of seasons turning games by himself? He has been singled out by opposition teams ever since as he can win a game in a flash. I liked your post because it is an interesting question, why isn't Eriksen performing as well as he can? For want of a better cliché, form is temporary class is permanent. I'm excited by opposition teams having Kane, NJ, Son and Eriksen to worry about. In other words more to worry about. At the moment they mark Eriksen out the game all too often. He can be too dangerous around the box.

The question is, how can he/ the team develop so he gets more time on the ball around the box? Late runs maybe...?

Last edited:
As I say whatever. We are getting nowhere and I really do not see the point of going round in circles with you over something you have no working knowledge on ( football coaching). We are better agreeing to disagree.
We're not discussing football coaching, we're discussing statistics. Unless you can come up with some convincing logic as to why stats don't apply the same way as they do you everything else, then a working knowledge of football management (especially one from the dark ages) need not be required.

Lets hope Erik pushes on now, chances are he'll go into a shell and we won't see him much now. Shame really.

I think the loan was probably contingent on Berahino going through. Lamela needs to get his mojo back in the cup games. Lamela can hopefully relax, the pressure is off, he needs to just play his game and his skills will come though.

Poch needs to sit him down and say,

"Erik, forget the £30mill or whatever it was, everyone thinks you're brick now and as the great 'Yazz and The Plastic Polulation' once said, the only way is up!"

But in Spanish obviously.

We're not discussing football coaching, we're discussing statistics. Unless you can come up with some convincing logic as to why stats don't apply the same way as they do you everything else, then a working knowledge of football management (especially one from the dark ages) need not be required.

If you are interested then at our next AGM I will get you a visiters pass and then you can educate all the pro coaches in stats and what they can do to help them improve pro players. :rolleyes:

Ah yeah I had forgotten about this goal. Well put it this way, a lot would have preferred someone to touch it so he got a highly talked about assist rather than a goal.

If you are interested then at our next AGM I will get you a visiters pass and then you can educate all the pro coaches in stats and what they can do to help them improve pro players. :rolleyes:
Gladly - anything to help bring the sport further into the modern world.

Having seen a few reactions in the sport when people have the nerve to show any level of intelligence I can imagine how it would be received though.

Having seen a few reactions in the sport when people have the nerve to show any level of intelligence I can imagine how it would be received though.

They would probably give you the respect you deserve ( but probably not the type you would want).

Agreed. Poor AVB. Had the temerity to be an intelligent, forward-thinking chap in a press environment that appeared positively Luddite at times. Same thing with Rafa, and even Wenger, when he first came to England.

They would probably give you the respect you deserve ( but probably not the type you would want).
That's OK, it's nothing new.

Back when I worked as an IT consultant I did a lot of data extraction for a stat team working freelance when modern analytics were taking off.

I've seen them accurately tell accountants and HR bods in a large UK corporate with decades of experience who was cheating their expenses without meeting a single one of them. I've seen them accurately tell bank execs with decades of experience which traders would push their risk profiles too high over the next 18-24 months. I've seen them accurately tell a blue chip (and be ignored) which forms of market growth in which regions would fail and why. The list goes on and on.

Do you know the one thing all of those teams of people sitting across their desks from us had in common? Each one, without fail, was convinced that their years of experience couldn't possibly be matched or bettered by a team of intelligent kids and a pile of data. That their finely tuned methods and habits couldn't be improved by amateurs and that there was simply no possibility of step change improvement.

The other thing they had in common is that they were all wrong.

Back