• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I am still undecided about Lamela and have been since we signed him. I have never been a fan of Italian football ( too slow and boring for me) so I had never seen Lamela before we bought him. I thought at the time it was a hell of a lot money to spend on a kid who I knew nothing about, however I felt that there were comments by fans who's opinion I respect who were saying he will be a big star in the future. and it"s only fair to give him the time to see how he plays.

Two seasons on I have seen some good things from him but also some poor things so I am still not sure if he will ever be the big thing. At the moment I believe we should give him another season and see how it turns out, however if it is the same after that I think we should move on and sell him.

My thoughts exactly. Would love to be proved wrong, but I don't feel he is suited to this league, that's not to say he doesn't have talent and that the Premier League is the be all and end all.

I never quoted you, my post doesn't quote anyone as it was meant for everyone in the thread, hence I also started with the word "guys" plural. You're the one that steamed in asking me why I'm quoting you when I'm not and never have done and basically acting like a complete prick.

keep-calm-and-go-to-specsavers-3.png

That's not the point. I was just pointing out that as he returned to us late, and barely took part in pre-season, he'll be behind. I think he may well have started versus United instead of Dembele if he had been fully up to speed. My point is I think he's a big part of Pochettino's plans. I think he likes him. I like him. He's a very hard worker and has a lot of talent. Some people choose to see it, some don't.
I do believe that he came on and lost possession 3 times within a minute. That's why I think the guy just doesn't have it. He is an average player who we massively over payed for

Well we didn't really use scouts that summer, did we? We used AVB's list and some of Baldini's recommendations. I don't know what the club thought they were buying with Lamela. I think we need to forget that. If they thought they were buying a goal-scorer, then they should have looked at his entire club career, not the season just before he signed. He is capable of scoring, but I get the impression that he always likes to look for the pass rather than score himself. The thing is as well is that any goal he does score tends to be spectacular. It's like he doesn't like scoring unless he can score a ridiculously good goal.
NWND, this is the post where you quoted spurspinter, at 8.37am today, on the last page

NWND, this is the post where you quoted spurspinter, at 8.37am today, on the last page

Yes, I quoted his quoted reply of my post during which he is already getting arsey about me quoting him asking where he refers to Lamela's goalscoring. I didn't quote him and my post didn't refer to him at all. He continues in later posts to refer to my first post as quoting him and attempts to ask where he said this, where he said that and then posts an OTT sarcastic rant at me for no reason whatsoever, basically like I said acting like a little prick.

Yes, I quoted his quoted reply of my post during which he is already getting arsey about me quoting him asking where he refers to Lamela's goalscoring. I didn't quote him and my post didn't refer to him at all. He continues in later posts to refer to my first post as quoting him and attempts to ask where he said this, where he said that and then posts an OTT sarcastic rant at me for no reason whatsoever, basically like I said acting like a little prick.

You didn't quote him in the post you're talking about, but you did quote the one he's talking about.

The keep calm part still applies though. There's no need for the names.

You didn't quote him in the post you're talking about, but you did quote the one he's talking about.

The keep calm part still applies though. There's no need for the names.

Well I think there is a need for names:

When did I link his Roma form to goal scoring exploits?

If he is at Roma form then the scouts should be taken out and shot, putting it midly.

So at this point in time we have a playmaker that is unable to pass and has no awareness of when to release the ball lacking actual dribbling skills (sans the pointless stepovers). Maseltov. I do see your point in regards to having pace around him to stretch the space, in a game where we are under the kosh ,let's say if Chadli is not on form, kane can only do so much by himself and eriksen may be dropping back deeper to get more on the ball so it is tough, but that's no excuse for being so wasteful with the ball, especially for someone who is known to be a playmaker.

As I said in my post, what I liked about him early on with us was that he clearly had vision going forwards but I didn't see that vision towards the end of last season. We can see that he tries hard and I do support him and want him to do well, the glimpses have shone through on occasion and there is potential for him to be part of a fluid attacking force, just need him to stop giving the faaaaacking ball all the time and for him to clock on to the fact that he's not playing in the Italian league anymore and those mean defenders will keep on taking the ball off him unless he gets some confidence but most importantly maturity in what he does.

His reply to my initial post, which was not aimed at him, not quoting him, basically, nothing to do with him whatsoever, but he replied to me, I chose to ignore this bolded bit initially because i didn't know what he was on about.

Well we didn't really use scouts that summer, did we? We used AVB's list and some of Baldini's recommendations. I don't know what the club thought they were buying with Lamela. I think we need to forget that. If they thought they were buying a goal-scorer, then they should have looked at his entire club career, not the season just before he signed. He is capable of scoring, but I get the impression that he always likes to look for the pass rather than score himself. The thing is as well is that any goal he does score tends to be spectacular. It's like he doesn't like scoring unless he can score a ridiculously good goal.

I chose to reply to his reply to my post about him being at my Roma form, by saying that I don't know what the club thought they were buying and repeating the press line that we'd pretty much ditched any scouting system by that point hence our crappy decisions that summer, but we need to forget about that because he's our player now and we need to concentrate on what he can do rather than what we thought he was going to do. Don't see there is anything in the above reply that would warrant the next post:

Yes I'm certain for that summer we just used Topps Match Attax cards for gathering info on our purchases, I presume you were in and around the clubs board of directors infrastructure to be so knowledgeable on such things, perhaps it was you who popped down to the newsagents to buy them. (Not trying to be too arsy here but the main point there is that neither of us know, but I'm not sure what has led you to believe that scouts weren't used...)

But oh my days, as I mentioned, I have not mentioned his goal scoring exploits whatsoever, are you even reading my posts? Are you aware we're discussing this together or have my posts been inadvertently quoted?! But to answer your completely unrelated point, to say a characteristic of his is that he doesn't like scoring goals unless spectacular could be fair enough, but to say he commonly chooses to pass over shooting is an odd claim.

Enthusiasm drains 75% of the time I actually get involved in a discussion in this place these days.

WTF bolded above. I'll stop calling him a bell end when he stops acting like one.

Just when I thought I'd lost faith in this place, happy to merely regale in the sheer brilliance of the last page or so.

In seriousness, in terms of my original post, I said "Obviously I do hope he gets back to his Roma form" and the next post was yourself saying "Guys, he is back to his Roma form."

At that time I did realise due to your use of the plural "guys" rather than the singular "guy" that it was not solely directed at myself but it did have a relatively similar theme in a sense that we were talking about exactly the same subject. It was at that stage I thought it fair enough to reply. I'm under the impression that there isn't a specific group reply account when something is put out to the general opinion that has been displayed in the thread so we're still okay to respond when someone clearly references what it is that has been previously written.

If using a slightly satirical fictional situation in which you were the gentleman appointed to buy the football cards due to our apparent lack of scouts was offensive to you then I can only apologise. If hyperbole is upsetting I'll cut that out to save confusion, I'll strive to remain within the realms of reality because I wouldn't want to convince you that you were actually part of the board of directors and that part of your routine was to buy match attax to pick which players to buy, this inadvertent inception-esque planting of a false memory could most likely be distressing and I'd hate to cause that.

Fair enough that your defense mechanism is to call people bellends and feign a lack of understanding of the process of quoting, it's quite novel. I remember reading about this beetle that bricks all over itself when it feels confused/threatened, I'm not sure which approach is best, they're around the same level in terms of creativity

Just for your reference for the next time...

(kwōt)
v. quot·ed, quot·ing, quotes
v.tr.
a.
To repeat or copy (words from a source such as a book or thread about Erik Lamela), usually with acknowledgment of the source

2. To repeat a brief passage or excerpt from: The saxophonist quoted a Duke Ellington melody in his solo.

Last edited:
But all that aside.....There's nothing more I'd like to see then Lamela dominating the game against Stoke, but I'm not there at training so I wouldn't know if he's made sure that he deserves the chance. We'd all love to see him have a really defining moment, personally I'd say if he can nutmeg Charlie Adam three times consecutively, smash in a thirty yarder then end Adam's season with a two footed lunge as his celebration then he'd be at cult hero status. But actually just putting in a shift where he's able to create a bit of space for himself with quick feet but also anticipating the movement of others and playing them in with precise passes that'd be more than fine by my reckoning.

But all that aside.....There's nothing more I'd like to see then Lamela dominating the game against Stoke, but I'm not there at training so I wouldn't know if he's made sure that he deserves the chance. We'd all love to see him have a really defining moment, personally I'd say if he can nutmeg Charlie Adam three times consecutively, smash in a thirty yarder then end Adam's season with a two footed lunge as his celebration then he'd be at cult hero status. But actually just putting in a shift where he's able to create a bit of space for himself with quick feet but also anticipating the movement of others and playing them in with precise passes that'd be more than fine by my reckoning.

Cult status? They'd have to name a stand in the new Stadium after him!!

I think he occasionally gets possessed by the spirit of someone from the 16th century who used to be able to do that sort of thing, but was burned as a witch as a result. The rest of the time, he's just himself.

I dont want anyone to pass to him at all now. He ever loses it or does a rubbish pass. At this moment in time unless we are dominating he is a liability.

Back