• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Most creative player by far is an exaggeration. Even if you were to judge by assists (which is an overrated stat but that's another debate), he got 7 and Chadli got 5. Eriksen is our most creative player IMO. If he isn't going to score many, then he needs to be approaching Fabregas levels of creativity.

P.S. What's the Gold Cup?

I meant the copa America

There is a football Gold Cup which is the North American equivalent of the Euros/Copa America/African Cup of Nations, it was also played this summer same as the Copa hence the confusion!

I said towards the back end of last season, probably from the Emirates Marketing Project game onwards he was our most creative player by far.

Fair enough, it's cherry picking but I can't argue towards the end of the season he was better than he was during the rest of the season.

The gold cup is a horse race and one that Lamella would struggle in as he can see the obstacles in front of him

People quote his assist stats and Yeo he did have the highest number

Here a stat though... In 38 league game she has scored as many goals as Eric Dier has in 28!!!!!

I now assume when people talk about his outstanding dribbling it's as a result if then concussion he must cinstantky get from running into defenders.

The guy has 10 games max this season to step up IMO or Poch will bin him

We're all looking at Pritchard as the messiah by comparison and he is an inexperienced kid by comparison yet looks to have far more about him for this league

And for someone to compare him to Bale is laughable. They both have black hair and that's about it really. Bale showed really glimpses of quality when he started for us as a kid don't forget, not an experienced international who has played in 3 countries . Lamella has shown random moments at best

Agree fully. Although calling him "she" is a bit uncalled for.

Guys, he is back to his Roma form. He had ONE season where he scored 15 goals in that Roma side. He isn't necessarily a goal-scorer. It's the only double figure season in the guy's entire career. He is a play-maker. He has been performing well, towards the back end of last season, he was our most creative player by far.

He is behind everyone in terms of his fitness, due to the Gold Cup. I think he'll do well this season. I think he'll do a lot better too once we have some players in the forward positions with pace who stretch the defence and create pockets for him to run into and release through-balls.

When did I link his Roma form to goal scoring exploits?

If he is at Roma form then the scouts should be taken out and shot, putting it midly.

So at this point in time we have a playmaker that is unable to pass and has no awareness of when to release the ball lacking actual dribbling skills (sans the pointless stepovers). Maseltov. I do see your point in regards to having pace around him to stretch the space, in a game where we are under the kosh ,let's say if Chadli is not on form, kane can only do so much by himself and eriksen may be dropping back deeper to get more on the ball so it is tough, but that's no excuse for being so wasteful with the ball, especially for someone who is known to be a playmaker.

As I said in my post, what I liked about him early on with us was that he clearly had vision going forwards but I didn't see that vision towards the end of last season. We can see that he tries hard and I do support him and want him to do well, the glimpses have shone through on occasion and there is potential for him to be part of a fluid attacking force, just need him to stop giving the faaaaacking ball all the time and for him to clock on to the fact that he's not playing in the Italian league anymore and those mean defenders will keep on taking the ball off him unless he gets some confidence but most importantly maturity in what he does.

IIRC he barely played?

That's not the point. I was just pointing out that as he returned to us late, and barely took part in pre-season, he'll be behind. I think he may well have started versus United instead of Dembele if he had been fully up to speed. My point is I think he's a big part of Pochettino's plans. I think he likes him. I like him. He's a very hard worker and has a lot of talent. Some people choose to see it, some don't.

That's not the point. I was just pointing out that as he returned to us late, and barely took part in pre-season, he'll be behind. I think he may well have started versus United instead of Dembele if he had been fully up to speed. My point is I think he's a big part of Pochettino's plans. I think he likes him. I like him. He's a very hard worker and has a lot of talent. Some people choose to see it, some don't.

He works hard granted.

If he truly does have talent then it will shin through and we won't need to question him.

Fair enough, it's cherry picking but I can't argue towards the end of the season he was better than he was during the rest of the season.

It's not cherry picking when it's merely pointing out that in what was his first effective PL season, that he seemed to be consistently getting to grips with what is required here towards the back-end.

When did I link his Roma form to goal scoring exploits?

If he is at Roma form then the scouts should be taken out and shot, putting it midly.

So at this point in time we have a playmaker that is unable to pass and has no awareness of when to release the ball lacking actual dribbling skills (sans the pointless stepovers). Maseltov. I do see your point in regards to having pace around him to stretch the space, in a game where we are under the kosh ,let's say if Chadli is not on form, kane can only do so much by himself and eriksen may be dropping back deeper to get more on the ball so it is tough, but that's no excuse for being so wasteful with the ball, especially for someone who is known to be a playmaker.

As I said in my post, what I liked about him early on with us was that he clearly had vision going forwards but I didn't see that vision towards the end of last season. We can see that he tries hard and I do support him and want him to do well, the glimpses have shone through on occasion and there is potential for him to be part of a fluid attacking force, just need him to stop giving the faaaaacking ball all the time and for him to clock on to the fact that he's not playing in the Italian league anymore and those mean defenders will keep on taking the ball off him unless he gets some confidence but most importantly maturity in what he does.

Well we didn't really use scouts that summer, did we? We used AVB's list and some of Baldini's recommendations. I don't know what the club thought they were buying with Lamela. I think we need to forget that. If they thought they were buying a goal-scorer, then they should have looked at his entire club career, not the season just before he signed. He is capable of scoring, but I get the impression that he always likes to look for the pass rather than score himself. The thing is as well is that any goal he does score tends to be spectacular. It's like he doesn't like scoring unless he can score a ridiculously good goal.

It's not cherry picking when it's merely pointing out that in what was his first effective PL season, that he seemed to be consistently getting to grips with what is required here towards the back-end.

He had good creative stats throughout the season tbf - what happened towards the end of the season is that he started to be a bit more simple/quicker with the ball meaning he lost possession less and his positive play was more apparent.

Well we didn't really use scouts that summer, did we? We used AVB's list and some of Baldini's recommendations. I don't know what the club thought they were buying with Lamela. I think we need to forget that. If they thought they were buying a goal-scorer, then they should have looked at his entire club career, not the season just before he signed. He is capable of scoring, but I get the impression that he always likes to look for the pass rather than score himself. The thing is as well is that any goal he does score tends to be spectacular. It's like he doesn't like scoring unless he can score a ridiculously good goal.

Yes I'm certain for that summer we just used Topps Match Attax cards for gathering info on our purchases, I presume you were in and around the clubs board of directors infrastructure to be so knowledgeable on such things, perhaps it was you who popped down to the newsagents to buy them. (Not trying to be too arsy here but the main point there is that neither of us know, but I'm not sure what has led you to believe that scouts weren't used...)

But oh my days, as I mentioned, I have not mentioned his goal scoring exploits whatsoever, are you even reading my posts? Are you aware we're discussing this together or have my posts been inadvertently quoted?! But to answer your completely unrelated point, to say a characteristic of his is that he doesn't like scoring goals unless spectacular could be fair enough, but to say he commonly chooses to pass over shooting is an odd claim.

Enthusiasm drains 75% of the time I actually get involved in a discussion in this place these days.

Yes I'm certain for that summer we just used Topps Match Attax cards for gathering info on our purchases, I presume you were in and around the clubs board of directors infrastructure to be so knowledgeable on such things, perhaps it was you who popped down to the newsagents to buy them. (Not trying to be too arsy here but the main point there is that neither of us know, but I'm not sure what has led you to believe that scouts weren't used...)

But oh my days, as I mentioned, I have not mentioned his goal scoring exploits whatsoever, are you even reading my posts? Are you aware we're discussing this together or have my posts been inadvertently quoted?! But to answer your completely unrelated point, to say a characteristic of his is that he doesn't like scoring goals unless spectacular could be fair enough, but to say he commonly chooses to pass over shooting is an odd claim.

Enthusiasm drains 75% of the time I actually get involved in a discussion in this place these days.

Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

Oh and I never quoted you at any point whatsoever, so I don't know why you keep going on about my interpretation of stuff you said, or unrelated points. My point was never to you individually, nor did I quote any of your posts. So stop acting like a massive bell end.

Oh and I never quoted you at any point whatsoever, so I don't know why you keep going on about my interpretation of stuff you said, or unrelated points. My point was never to you individually, nor did I quote any of your posts. So stop acting like a massive bell end.

If you look up four posts (five if you count this one to help to find it :) ), you have quite literally quoted my post and responded to it. I'm not sure what else I'm able to say at this point. It's quite astounding that you're unable to recognise this and that you've also resorted to name calling. Commendable work there, truly commendable.

I am still undecided about Lamela and have been since we signed him. I have never been a fan of Italian football ( too slow and boring for me) so I had never seen Lamela before we bought him. I thought at the time it was a hell of a lot money to spend on a kid who I knew nothing about, however I felt that there were comments by fans who's opinion I respect who were saying he will be a big star in the future. and it"s only fair to give him the time to see how he plays.

Two seasons on I have seen some good things from him but also some poor things so I am still not sure if he will ever be the big thing. At the moment I believe we should give him another season and see how it turns out, however if it is the same after that I think we should move on and sell him.

If you look up four posts (five if you count this one to help to find it :) ), you have quite literally quoted my post and responded to it. I'm not sure what else I'm able to say at this point. It's quite astounding that you're unable to recognise this and that you've also resorted to name calling. Commendable work there, truly commendable.

I never quoted you, my post doesn't quote anyone as it was meant for everyone in the thread, hence I also started with the word "guys" plural. You're the one that steamed in asking me why I'm quoting you when I'm not and never have done and basically acting like a complete prick.

It was his second season but I digress. Granted last year was his first full season, but he had another year under his belt to adapt to the country itself and the conditions etc. Whilst he did improve slightly, I wouldn't say it was enough for him to warrant being first choice and I hope Pritchard gets his chance when he's 100%

Back