• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Sorry but what you've heard sounds like a predictable load of rubbish that schoolkids would make up....

Right..... But in this context, heard wasn't me actually hearing it, it was me reading it on this forum.

What if some people believe that Sherwood is just ****ing **** and has no idea how to manage people, let alone football players? Is that genuinely shocking too?

Did you even bother to read my post?

I wasn't even defending sherwood, I actually didn't want avb to go, especially not for sherwood. But he's here now and I got on with it. Other people didn't get on with it and become hysterical, making up conspiracy theories about why certain players weren't playing.

I'm not sure what making up conspiracy theories about why adebayor didn't play vs benefica has to do with people thinking sherwood is a **** man manager?

Will this guy feature anymore this season ? When is he back in full training and in competition for the squad ?

i cant even remember when he last played??

[tweet]454744718292054016[/tweet]

SkyFootball: #Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood says he does not expect record signing Erik Lamela to play again this season. http://bit.ly/1hz7mp2 #thfc

...Hip and back injuries have prevented Lamela from lining up for Spurs since the 3-0 win over Stoke in December and Sherwood has all but written off the Argentina international's chances of returning this season.

"He isn't fit to play," Sherwood said. "He's been unfortunate with injuries and it's a shame that he's picked up the knocks because taking the settling in period aside, how are you meant to settle when you can't go out there and perform because you've had this serious back injury?

Lamela's World Cup place could also now be hanging in the balance due to his inactivity but Sherwood would have no qualms if Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella wanted to include the winger in his squad.

"Like I say, he's been out a very long time," he added.

"He's going to need a pre-season before he can play. It's up to their manager and if they think he needs to play any competitive games previous to that.

"I think it comes down to how sought after he is out there by the manager. He needs the games doesn't he? And next season he comes back in and he's in a better place."

Certainly seems that way according to the gaffer...

[tweet]454733857279840256[/tweet]

@guardian_sport: Tim Sherwood questions wisdom of Tottenham's summer transfer dealings http://gu.com/p/3zcfq/tw via @guardian
The technical director, Franco Baldini, oversaw the investment of £110.5m in the group and the most expensive, Erik Lamela, who joined for a club record £30m from Roma, has now been ruled out for the remainder of the season with back trouble. Tim Sherwood said that another, Etienne Capoue, would most likely not play again this season because of an ankle problem.

Sherwood talked up the form of Christian Eriksen and the recent impact of Nacer Chadli in central midfield but the overall picture has been one of inconsistency. Vlad Chiriches, Roberto Soldado and Paulinho have fired mostly in fits and starts.

Sherwood described himself as a "firm believer that Premier League experience is key" and he highlighted Everton's recent business as the blueprint for success.

The Merseyside club, who will go fourth with a draw or better at Sunderland on Saturday, added Gareth Barry, Romelu Lukaku and James McCarthy on 2 September from Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Wigan Athletic respectively – the first two on loan deals. They had taken Gerard Deulofeu on loan from Barcelona earlier in the summer.

"You can buy someone who has never played in the Premier League and he comes over and he is a revelation but it's more of a risk doing that," Sherwood said. "If you want to look at any team, you've got to look at Everton and what they've done in the transfer market. It's second to none.

"On deadline day, they look like an average side but, all of a sudden, they make three signings and it turns them into what they are now. You've got Gareth Barry with 534 games or whatever it is in the Premier League – crucial for any club – while Lukaku was the best young player last season on loan at West Brom and you have the acquisition of McCarthy.

"And then there's Deulofeu who, as everyone in the development phase of football knows, can be anything he possibly wants to be. He is showing that now."

Lamela's first season in English football has been a disaster, with the Argentina winger having started only three league games. He has not played since 29 December because of, initially, a thigh injury and now a back problem that Sherwood said would sideline him for their remaining five fixtures. It also threatens his participation at the World Cup finals.

"He had some treatment from the Roma physios and our guys – I think he's been pretty much everywhere," Sherwood said. "It's a similar injury to the back problem that Chiriches had and we're pleased to have Chiriches fit so our guys have done a good job with him. Lamela's probably not going to play [again] this season. He's been out a very long time. He's going to need a pre-season before he can play.

"He's basically been out of the picture because of his injury and hopefully he's using this time to learn English. That will stand him in good stead for when he's eventually fit."

Couple of observations to make about something Sherwood said when discussing Lamela. He said:

"He's basically been out of the picture because of his injury and hopefully he's using this time to learn English. That will stand him in good stead for when he's eventually fit."

Observation #1: Tim Sherwood has been Spurs coach since December and he doesn't know how good Lamela's English is? Could it be that our record signing hasn't had a conversation with our manager in a few months? Maybe that's normal in football, but it seems odd to me (note: I'm not one of the "Lamela isn't injured" conspiracy theorists - of course he's been injured - but shouldn't the manager be keeping in semi-regular contact with his top players - injured or not?)

Observation #2: Sherwood does make a good point about hoping Lamela is learning English though. The guy must be feeling like **** - initially mismanaged in my view, on top of having trouble adapting and then he gets hit by a recurring injury and almost a whole season gets written off. But if he's genuinely determined to be a success at Spurs, he will have used the downtime to learn English so that next season he hits the ground running and has no trouble integrating. Not saying he should be fluent, but if he comes back during preseason and he clearly hasn't been working on his English - then it'll be a cause for concern for me.

Still find it hard to believe that Sherwood doesn't actually know, one way or the other. Or maybe he does know - maybe Lamela hasn't learnt a word of English, Sherwood is ****ed off by this, and is making a pointed remark towards the player to sort himself out...

(and I said I wasn't a conspiracy theorist...)

Couple of observations to make about something Sherwood said when discussing Lamela. He said:

Observation #1: Tim Sherwood has been Spurs coach since December and he doesn't know how good Lamela's English is? Could it be that our record signing hasn't had a conversation with our manager in a few months? Maybe that's normal in football, but it seems odd to me (note: I'm not one of the "Lamela isn't injured" conspiracy theorists - of course he's been injured - but shouldn't the manager be keeping in semi-regular contact with his top players - injured or not?)

Observation #2: Sherwood does make a good point about hoping Lamela is learning English though. The guy must be feeling like **** - initially mismanaged in my view, on top of having trouble adapting and then he gets hit by a recurring injury and almost a whole season gets written off. But if he's genuinely determined to be a success at Spurs, he will have used the downtime to learn English so that next season he hits the ground running and has no trouble integrating. Not saying he should be fluent, but if he comes back during preseason and he clearly hasn't been working on his English - then it'll be a cause for concern for me.

Still find it hard to believe that Sherwood doesn't actually know, one way or the other. Or maybe he does know - maybe Lamela hasn't learnt a word of English, Sherwood is ****ed off by this, and is making a pointed remark towards the player to sort himself out...

(and I said I wasn't a conspiracy theorist...)

I think that you might be reading too much into it

'back' injury :-k yeah right........sounds like all those benefit cheats who use 'back' pain to claim incapacity benefits. IMO it looks like he doesnt want to be in England and just wants out asap, back to Italy or maybe somewhere in Spain

'back' injury :-k yeah right........sounds like all those benefit cheats who use 'back' pain to claim incapacity benefits. IMO it looks like he doesnt want to be in England and just wants out asap, back to Italy or maybe somewhere in Spain

Or maybe we pay Roma 8m a year depending on appearances.

Or maybe this year is not our turn so say's the mystic of football corruption, but next year is, play him then and we can say that he is the difference between now and then.

Or maybe he is injured.

Or maybe we pay Roma 8m a year depending on appearances.

Or maybe this year is not our turn so say's the mystic of football corruption, but next year is, play him then and we can say that he is the difference between now and then.

Or maybe he is injured.

no, iirc it was 25 mill transfer fee rising to 30 mill based on appearances/trophies......Lamela was one of their best players, they didnt want him to go and were not prepared to give him away on silly terms

literally he has gone into hiding. We rarely see him, hear from him...nada. Even when players are injured, they give interviews, take part in club events etc. With Lamela, forget about it

no, iirc it was 25 mill transfer fee rising to 30 mill based on appearances/trophies......Lamela was one of their best players, they didnt want him to go and were not prepared to give him away on silly terms

literally he has gone into hiding. We rarely see him, hear from him...nada. Even when players are injured, they give interviews, take part in club events etc. With Lamela, forget about it

Actually, he has been wheeled out on the O/S quite a few times very recently, I think he was wheeled out by the club to go and see some kids in hospital only last week. There was a picture of a grinning Lamela and someone photo-shoped it with the words "I don't know where the f*** I am" which I thought was pretty hilarious given his season...but there you go.

As to Sherwood and Lamela. Every time Sherwood is asked about Lamela he says he has a future at the club and that he'll hopefully do well next season. Some may not believe him, but remember he doesn't actually have to say anything about his future at the club, he could just maintain he's injured. So for me, he probably IS injured and I think Sherwood would have utilised him if he wasn't, as he did use him in his first game or two in charge (he started away to Southampton).

Back