• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I know what our problem is...

The Portugeezer

Terry Yorath
Wind Up Merchant
Just sussed what our problem is...

k2ri.jpg

+
rhau.jpg

||

buqr.jpg

Last edited:
Ah ok :lol:

I'm more than willing to give all of them time tbh but the one thing I may never be able to forgive AVB for is Soldado.

He obviously scored a lot of goals at Valencia but he is clearly mostly a poacher. Not a problem in itself but if we're going to spend £26 million on a 28 year old striker, we need to make sure our system and him are set up perfectly for each other so that he has the highest chance of hitting the ground running.

It isn't often that we as a club can spend that kind of money on a striker and AVB/ Baldini/ Levy/ whoever did this needed to make sure this was a successful purchase.

Oh well, hope he settles in and starts scoring.

I am not convinced. None of the signings have shown their worth so far. Look at Liverpool for instance. They spent sensibly and have surpassed us.

Arsene said any more than 3 signings is ridiculous. I tend to agree. It is not the quality it is the quantity.

I can see a big clear out this January. We have a great squad but not a great 1st XI.

Chadli is a classic case. He is OK. He ticks all the boxes but he ain't half as good as AT. He is a journeyman. Same as too many of our squad.

I agree, as much as we all envy Wenger and what he's done for Arsenal, I hate to say it, he knows what he's talking about; quality over quantity.

Not all of Liverpool's recent signings have been a resounding success.

Allen £15m
Borini £10m
Aspas £7m
Alberto £7m
Ilori £7m

More to do with the players that were already there and Rodgers getting the most out of them, Coutinho and Sturridge were of course very good value though.

I don't think that our signings have been poor signings, its just trying to integrate 7 that is the problem. Eriksen, Chadli and Capoue have all looked good. Chiriches, Soldado, Lamela have all been decent in glimpses though quiet more often than not. Paulinho is the only one which I really feel was a poor buy - over-priced and not the sort of CM we needed

Basically none of them have been consistently good:

Eriksen - Good
Lamela - Promising, needs more games
Capoue - Ok
Chadli - Poor
Chiriches - Poor
Soldado - Not the best but not playing to his strengths either
Paulinho - Disappointing goal return but getting into great positions at least

Chiriches has not been poor at all, two bad games wipes out three months of good? What a joke.

Basically none of them have been consistently good:

Eriksen - Good
Lamela - Promising, needs more games
Capoue - Ok
Chadli - Poor
Chiriches - Poor
Soldado - Not the best but not playing to his strengths either
Paulinho - Disappointing goal return but getting into great positions at least

Come on mate, its quite obvious he's not 100% fit but has to play as we have noone else he has not been poor at all bar last two games....

Chiriches has not been poor at all, two bad games wipes out three months of good? What a joke.

Right, incidentally when we go 4-4-2 with a lightweight CM pairing instead of someone to shield the back 4. Not trying to defend Chiriches though, he straight-up made some poor decisions and gave up possession in dangerous areas.

I think we need to get back to basics and pick a balanced team.

Keeper picks himself, Lloris no problem

Full-backs, I'm happy with Walker and Rose.

Centre-halves (A current problem area)-- imo, a centre-half partnership works best when at least one of them is dominant in the air, and the other is fairly quick across the ground and can pass it a bit.

Dominant in the air centre halves: Dawson, Kaboul.

Quick centre-halves: Fryers (?)

Ball player centre halves: Vert, Chiriches (neither of them are quick).

Kaboul seems as if he's f**ked. So that leaves us with Dawson and one other. Dawson looked at his best when he had Bassong as his partner. So we should pair him with Fryers and see how it goes. I don't like Dawson and Vertonghen as a partnership, there isn't enough pace. I don't think Vertonghen will be at the club if we miss out on Champions League and that seems fairly likely, let's be honest.

Midfield: get the balance right between passers and tacklers, between pace and guile, between directness and subtlety. As we don't look like we have that many goals from midfield in us, I'd probably play 2 strikers, so that leaves us with 4 midfielders to pick. Defensive mid would be Sandro. Next to him, I'd pick a box-to-box player who can do a bit of everything. My choice would be Dembele, as he and Sandro showed the making of a good partnership last season, and both are adapted to English football already.

For the wide areas, I think we'd do best with one player who comes in and looks to create and score, like a drifting number 10. And then one direct, quick winger who gets to the line and crosses. We can go with 2 different pairings here, imo: Townsend on the left, Lamela on the right. Or Eriksen on the left and Lennon on the right. I think the latter is currently better, as they are more creative, but the first pairing has potential. In the interests of results, I'd go Lennon and Eriksen.

Upfront, Ade has to play. He is our only presence, he's the only striker with any pace and he's the only one who really links midfield and attack. The last spot goes to Soldado. These two have shown some signs that they can play together, so just pick them and see how it goes>

so, the 442 balanced team is:

-----------lloris
walker---dawson--fryers--rose
lennon--sandro--dembele--eriksen
---------ade---soldado

Try and keep the tempo up and let the players do what they are good at. Recall BAE as cover for Rose.

Second XI, as a balanced 442:

------------friedel
naughton--kaboul--vert---bae
lamela----capoue--paulinho--townsend
-----------kane---defoe

You can interchange the keeper and fullbacks from either XI. Wide players have to be swapped in pairs, if possible. So not Lamela and Eriksen in the same side, no Townsend and Lennon. Keep it as one "drifter" and one orthodox winger. Likewise, at centre half, one "header man" and one "pace man" (Kaboul can be both, when fully fit). Upfront, one link man (Ade/Kane) and one poacher...and one of the pair should also provide some presence.

Odd men out are Holtby, Sig, Chadli and Chiriches. Chiriches could replace Vertonghen, and I expect this may happen in the summer. The others could possibly find their way into the wide spots.

I'm sure there are other formations we could play to produce a balanced side. And I'm sure you lot will suggest them!

Can anyone remember Ade or Soldado passing to each other v WBA?

I thought there was a striker love-in after the Soton game but my memory of today is Ade screaming at Soldado in the last knockings for not passing to him.

Or...we go with 2 wingers, one number 10 in the VdV mould and Ade upfront, binning Soldado. Which I wouldn't be against, entirely.

Can anyone remember Ade or Soldado passing to each other v WBA?

I thought there was a striker love-in after the Soton game but my memory of today is Ade screaming at Soldado in the last knockings for not passing to him.

Soldado put a great cross into the box in the first half but no one was near it unfortunately.

Going to our most successful side in recent years in it's best run of form, the team was:

---------friedel
walker--kaboul--king--bae
lennon--parker--modric--bale
----------vdv
----------ade

current possible team to mirror that one:

-----------lloris
walker---????----????---rose
lennon---sandro--eriksen--townsend
-------------lamela
-------------ade

Centre-half is the big problem area. Kaboul isn't the Kaboul from that season. Vert could be like King, but who do we pair Vert with? Can't be Dawson, and neither Vlad nor Fryers are good enough in the air to compensate for Vert's lack of aerial prowess.

Buy a centre-half in January? Bring in Eileen Drewery to get Kaboul in tip-top shape? I don't know.

Back