• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Humble Pie Transfers

Giovani Dos Santos. I was over the moon when we got him in after having just gotten Modric. Soldado too, obviously. Stephan Dalmat - though he did ok for us, in my opinion. Postiga (swallowed all the hype, knew nothing about him).

I thought Ruel Fox was going to be great for us, same with others about Roberto Soldado. I also had high expectations for Paulinho....

I didn't want us to sign Pav, we did but he was marginally better than I thought he would be. I mean, he still had the touch of a pinball table, but he scored some good goals for us still.

I heard Ian Wright say that there had been a chance for him to join us, instead of those clams down the road, and that he nearly did. That could have been interesting with the squad that we would have had at the time. Now no one likes him because of his Arsenal association, but things could have been a lot different.

Furthermore, weren't we close to sign Scifo, and/or, Hagi? Would have been very interesting signings. And, if only Francis hadn't turned down Zidane... Bergkamp and Petit had signed for us, and not Arsenal. And if Suarez had been signed back when we were heavily linked.

Things could have been so different in the interim period. Now, I'm very happy with our squad and the direction that we are moving in.

Remember being relieved we got Clive Allen in 1984 and not the up-and-coming Lineker (the media said at the time it was always going to be one or the other) especially when Clive had that amazing 49 goal season in 1986/7. Allen had cost us £700,000 from QPR whilst a year later Lineker went to Everton for £800,000, but the sting came the following summer when Lineker was sold to Barcelona for £2.8m. Allen's star faded soon after his record-breaking 86/7 season and he was sold to Bordeaux for a mere £1m.

Thankfully we ended up getting the best of both worlds - of sorts - when Venables brought Lineker back from Barcelona in 1989.

Rebrov and Paulinho for me. Paulinho especially. I thought he was a marvelous player who would be everything Dele Alli has been for us this season. I think Rebrov was a sad story as he didn't do badly at all but we expected 30 goals a season and suddenly his confidence was shot.

Rebrov and Paulinho for me. Paulinho especially. I thought he was a marvelous player who would be everything Dele Alli has been for us this season. I think Rebrov was a sad story as he didn't do badly at all but we expected 30 goals a season and suddenly his confidence was shot.

Rebrov was amazing on his debut against Ipswich. Hit the crossbar with a shot taken from the outside of his boot & scored a couple, I think? But then he was quieter. I think he needed to play a withdrawn role, rather than the top man but given the fee paid, the expectations were heavy on him. And then Sheringham and Rebrov wanted the same place but that couldn't work. Rebrov's confidence was gone & he was never the same player again.

I thought Andy Carroll would have been a good signing from Saudi Sportswashing Machine, though not for what Liverpool ended up paying!

I thought Soldado would be a good signing and I didn't rate Harry Kane when I first saw him.

In other words, I know phuck all. But then, I suppose most managers have got it wrong to sign these types of players, or let other players go who ended up being top class.

So players that we signed that I thought would be amazing but didn't work out:

Blondel, Dalmat, Moussa Saib, Dean Richards, Bentley, Rebrov, Postiga, Gilberto, Murphy, Dumitrescu, Tramezzani, Dominguez, Acimovic, Toda, Zamora, Boateng, Saha, Rocha, Vega, Fryers, Bostock, Taaraabt, Dos Santos and Davenport.

The original question from the OP i.e. players that I desperately wanted us to sign but who have ended up brick:

Shevchenko, Rio Ferdinand (when he left Man U), Jack Rodwell, Lovren, Seth Johnson, Santa Cruz, Alves (the one that went to Middlesborough), Andy Carroll, Brolin, Marlet, Jeffers, Veron, El Hadji Diouf, Reyes, Luque, Kezman, Bosko Balaban, Joe Cole, Cuadrado, Falcao, Marlet, Boumsong, Denilson, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Quaresma and Diego.

Yes Gio Dos Santos I thought would tear it up with us but was promptly loaned to Ipswich!!

Also thought Postiga, Ferdinand and Rebrov would replace Teddy from 1999 but all turned out brick.

Back