• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Anyone else think Hugo looked like he was bricking it in the tunnel before the game last night? It was another nervous performance in a big game - a couple of good saves, but poor kicking and some bad distribution choices imo.

Anyone else think Hugo looked like he was bricking it in the tunnel before the game last night? It was another nervous performance in a big game - a couple of good saves, but poor kicking and some bad distribution choices imo.

Has the same look in every game

He is being asked to play out from the back too often for his liking maybe?
Pep would would bin him and just buy a Manuel Neuer.

Anyone see the interview with Hugo on Spurs TV?

"We stuck with our principles and played football with our philosophy"

"We probably had a lack of aggression offensively because we tried to create from the back. We took a lot of risks like the gaffer asked"

Does anyone else find that comment about 'taking risks like the gaffer asked' a bit of an odd thing to say?

Anyone see the interview with Hugo on Spurs TV?

"We stuck with our principles and played football with our philosophy"

"We probably had a lack of aggression offensively because we tried to create from the back. We took a lot of risks like the gaffer asked"

Does anyone else find that comment about 'taking risks like the gaffer asked' a bit of an odd thing to say?
Not really, in fact i think it' a good thing they do what the manager tells them.
The big difference between us and Emirates Marketing Project yesterday when playing out from the back, their attacking midfielders dropped back for the ball and created angles. Ours didn' and left big gaps between them and the defence that Emirates Marketing Project cut off very easily.
How many times did kdb come way back for the ball, quite a few. Don' remember Dele or eriksen doing it once between them.

If money is no object (which, of course, it isn’t) then I can’t see Real looking beyond De Gea. He’s better than Hugo in every department - and younger.

De Gea is brilliant but doesn’t control or command his area on anywhere near Hugo’s level... it’s why Neur is better

But Madrid and signing Kepka I tjink his name is

Not really, in fact i think it' a good thing they do what the manager tells them.
The big difference between us and Emirates Marketing Project yesterday when playing out from the back, their attacking midfielders dropped back for the ball and created angles. Ours didn' and left big gaps between them and the defence that Emirates Marketing Project cut off very easily.
How many times did kdb come way back for the ball, quite a few. Don' remember Dele or eriksen doing it once between them.

De Bruyne played deep though, the equivalent would be did Dembele and Winks come back for the ball. Eriksen and Alli were much more advanced but should definitely have come deeper to get the ball from Winks and Dembele and link the play. They also didn't track back a huge amount.

I also agree it's good they acted on the managers instructions and I think the way we approached the game was correct, it just didn't work out. I don't think we would have held out sitting deep, not with our makeshift defence.

Dele did, once. And when he did, City backed off, because they were outnumbered in the press and had to fall back. Dele could turn with the ball, look up and play it forward without pressure - which I remember well, because it was an absolute rarity.

Then he never did it again, and neither did Eriksen.

Dele did, once. And when he did, City backed off, because they were outnumbered in the press and had to fall back. Dele could turn with the ball, look up and play it forward without pressure - which I remember well, because it was an absolute rarity.

Then he never did it again, and neither did Eriksen.

And that for was were we failed, and big time.
City had time to look up and exploit our weaknesses, we didn't close them down or track them.
As you have pointed out, time and again trippier was left 1 on 1 with sane. Where was son, Dele, eriksen, winks, dembelle?
It happened last year against liverpool i think with rose totally isolated and son standing in the Liverpool half waiting on the ball.
I know everyone is pointing to Toby be out, but for its wanyama we miss the most and for these games lamela is a big miss.

Poor game from Hugo today but what was worrying is that the same issues are repeated themselves too often....

Beaten yet again at the near post by an eminently saveable shot; flapping at corners and free kicks and - as always - abysmal distribution. His main strength remains his sweeper-keeper ability which is without doubt the best in the business...

His positives outweigh his negatives by a distance.
Also who would replace him?

As I said, he is the best sweeper keeper in the business (bar maybe Neuer - and even that would be debatable). And as result, seeing as Poch's game is all about squeezing high up the pitch, there is probably no-one who we could afford to replace him adequately.

He is on the short side - and therefore unlikely to be dominant in his box; not much to do there. However his distribution frustrates the hell out of me. If Harry could improve his game by sheer practice, why does Hugo mot do likewise with his kicking???

Poor game from Hugo today but what was worrying is that the same issues are repeated themselves too often....

Beaten yet again at the near post by an eminently saveable shot; flapping at corners and free kicks and - as always - abysmal distribution. His main strength remains his sweeper-keeper ability which is without doubt the best in the business...

Poor is reaching ... the shot at near post was hit pretty hard, yes, no keeper likes/should be beaten at near post, but it happens (when Kane/Eriksen score there, we don't say the opposition keeper was brick).

To your point, he was out very early at one point today to clean up/shut down a potential threat. Yes, he sucks at kicking, but he's a great sweeper, good overall keeper, good part of team ethos and we aren't going to get a better option.

How quickly we forget Robinson letting in anything from outside the box, Gomes fudging Circus, the list goes on, keeping at Spurs was so bad for so long we actually were amazed by Brad.

Poor is reaching ... the shot at near post was hit pretty hard, yes, no keeper likes/should be beaten at near post, but it happens (when Kane/Eriksen score there, we don't say the opposition keeper was brick).

To your point, he was out very early at one point today to clean up/shut down a potential threat. Yes, he sucks at kicking, but he's a great sweeper, good overall keeper, good part of team ethos and we aren't going to get a better option.

How quickly we forget Robinson letting in anything from outside the box, Gomes fudging Circus, the list goes on, keeping at Spurs was so bad for so long we actually were amazed by Brad.

Amazed by Brad? Mate, we were bowled over by Cudicini just being *steady* - he wasn't even that good as a keeper, just average. But he was *steady*, which at the time seemed like a blessed change from early-version Gomes, and Robinson before him.

Friedel was above average - an upgrade on Cudicini, and someone who was both steady *and* reasonably good at commanding the box, although he stayed on his line at corners and in crossing situations too much for my liking given his size. But he wasn't the first of that type - that was Cudicini, and I remember how happy we were to have a safe pair of hands after Gomes' awful first six months.

Lloris is the best keeper I've seen at Spurs, and probably the best we've had since...oh, well before I was born, I would imagine. His kicking is pretty bad, and he occasionally mucks up - but he's an excellent shot-stopper, a very good sweeper-keeper, a good captain (by all accounts) and brave enough to try commanding his area and coming out for crosses and balls into the box, which is more than can be said for some of the keepers he's compared to (De Gea, for one - also Courtois and Cech, who play quite conservatively). That's plenty good enough for where we are now, and also for where we want to be - we're unlikely to find anyone better at this point.

I'd like to see us promote Gazzaniga to #2 giving him a bigger role so we can have propper look at the lad.

There was a twitter item yesterday that a team in Belgium (may have been Club Brugge, I can't remember) were in talks to buy Vorm in January. Could be rubbish, but that would free up space for Gazzaniga.

Back