• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

What a stupid comment. Some random facial expression is meant to signify the length of Wink's absence? And they are able to diagnose it there and then?!?
The Physio indicates something, then Poch and Jimenez both slump back, raise their hands and slap their thighs whilst looking disappointed.

What a stupid comment. Some random facial expression is meant to signify the length of Wink's absence? And they are able to diagnose it there and then?!?

Not the facial expressions - look at the medic's hand gestures.

I'm 1000% against playing amateur diagnosis on an Internet forum, but his nonverbal "snapping" depiction of the injury followed by the coaches' slapping their thighs ain't good.

Not the facial expressions - look at the medic's hand gestures.

I'm 1000% against playing amateur diagnosis on an Internet forum, but his nonverbal "snapping" depiction of the injury followed by the coaches' slapping their thighs ain't good.

Well it would be odd if Poch smiled after the info. He's clearly injured, maybe another out for the season. But just like us, they won't know now the extent of the damage. Having Dier and Wimmer relatively well bedded into the team means we'll be ok. The big question is can Sissoko find some form, and Dembele maintain fitness? Son and Janssen are also ready to play.

Looked bad and a real shame for him and us. Will be missed for however long he's out.

If Winks plays again this season, its a bonus. Sissoko has to step up now.

Or any other player in the squad seeing as Pochettino seemingly doesn't rate Sissoko as a central midfielder at all.

I think our next alternative to Dembele and Wanyama now will be Dier back to CM, and either a change in formation or Wimmer in at CB

And @braineclipse I think Sissoko could do well with Dier and/or Dembele playing deeper. As part of a 3 man midfield, win the ball and then Dembele or Sissoko drive it forward and lay off to Eriksen. Our passing won't be as good, but plenty of power!

I posted this somewhere the other day, but we played Hull at home earlier in the season. 3 at the back (dier,toby,vert) but no Dembele in midfield.

We set up kinda like this:

--------------lloris
------dier----toby---vert
walker------wanyama-------rose
-------eriksen--sissoko---dele
--------------kane

We played well, won 3-0. I could see us with a similar lineup against weaker teams, if Dembele is out and no Winks to give direct cover.

And @braineclipse I think Sissoko could do well with Dier and/or Dembele playing deeper. As part of a 3 man midfield, win the ball and then Dembele or Sissoko drive it forward and lay off to Eriksen. Our passing won't be as good, but plenty of power!

He could perhaps do well there. But the emerging pattern is quite clearly that whenever Pochettino has the chance to play Sissoko either wide right or centrally he consistently plays him wide right and makes whatever changes to the team that will accommodate that.

What Winks has brought to our central midfield has been exactly passing tempo and accuracy. I don't know if you've noticed, but we're not exactly short on power in central midfield. As long as Dembele is available a duo with him and either Wanyama (if fit) or Dier seems much better than trying if Sissoko could perhaps work out in a new role he's arguably not very well suited to. The problem is what we do when Dembele isn't fit enough to start, or he starts struggling in a game and needs to come off.

I posted this somewhere the other day, but we played Hull at home earlier in the season. 3 at the back (dier,toby,vert) but no Dembele in midfield.

We set up kinda like this:

--------------lloris
------dier----toby---vert
walker------wanyama-------rose
-------eriksen--sissoko---dele
--------------kane

We played well, won 3-0. I could see us with a similar lineup against weaker teams, if Dembele is out and no Winks to give direct cover.

I'd probably play GKN or Onomah ahead of Sissoko in that system. Hell even Edwards (against Gillingham) has shown more ability than Sissoko this season.

He could perhaps do well there. But the emerging pattern is quite clearly that whenever Pochettino has the chance to play Sissoko either wide right or centrally he consistently plays him wide right and makes whatever changes to the team that will accommodate that.

What Winks has brought to our central midfield has been exactly passing tempo and accuracy. I don't know if you've noticed, but we're not exactly short on power in central midfield. As long as Dembele is available a duo with him and either Wanyama (if fit) or Dier seems much better than trying if Sissoko could perhaps work out in a new role he's arguably not very well suited to. The problem is what we do when Dembele isn't fit enough to start, or he starts struggling in a game and needs to come off.

Sissoko developed and played well for Saudi Sportswashing Machine when he was deployed centrally. But you can see why Poch plays him wide. He could be like a crap Bale, powering into space from out wide. But I think it somehow suits him better through the middle, he has options to go left or right, and he's not precise enough to dance along the touch line.

Sissoko developed and played well for Saudi Sportswashing Machine when he was deployed centrally. But you can see why Poch plays him wide. He could be like a crap Bale, powering into space from out wide. But I think it somehow suits him better through the middle, he has options to go left or right, and he's not precise enough to dance along the touch line.

Centrally, as a #10, playing behind a lone striker. Similar to the role Alli has for us in our 4-2-3-1 playing behind Kane and spending a lot of time going beyond Kane.

That is very different to a deeper central role. This is a role he only occasionally played for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and a role he didn't do well in (according to Greg this summer). It's a role he really doesn't have the tools to do well in.

The central role he has done well in has very little to do with the role Winks has played for us.

I'd probably play GKN or Onomah ahead of Sissoko in that system. Hell even Edwards (against Gillingham) has shown more ability than Sissoko this season.

To be fair to him, Sissoko had a decent game in that system v Hull. I'd only be an advocate if both Dembele and Winks are out.

Back