• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Agreed; knowing what to do in any situation is so very important.

Dembele looks absolutely fantastic as he glides around bullying other players off the ball and shimmies left, but since he never scores and never assists, *all* he is there to do is win the ball, break the press and give it to someone that can attack better than he does. Winks is a VERY different player to Dembele but might turn out to be more effective, in a much quieter way. He was only on for 20 mins today, but got a very neat assist.
Dembele gives us a far better platform defensively still IMO. I love Winks and he will turn out to be fantastic player but Dembele is the better choice as of now.

Dembele gives us a far better platform defensively still IMO. I love Winks and he will turn out to be fantastic player but Dembele is the better choice as of now.

Agree with that. Winks is great, but Dembele is definitely ahead of him at the moment - his physicality is a huge plus especially in games like today

Can anyone post a replay of his assist for Dele? The highlights I have only show him delivering the ball in but I want to see 5-10 seconds before he kicks it because that was some clever thinking on his part. It seemed like half the Everton players were switched off when he did take the free kick, maybe because they thought he would go short? That's serious class considering how young he is.

Can anyone post a replay of his assist for Dele? The highlights I have only show him delivering the ball in but I want to see 5-10 seconds before he kicks it because that was some clever thinking on his part. It seemed like half the Everton players were switched off when he did take the free kick, maybe because they thought he would go short? That's serious class considering how young he is.

I actually think we are benefiting significantly from Poch not lending out young players he has identified for the future with us. I look at Winks and I see turns or shielding reminiscent of Dembele, no look passes and dinks ala Eriksen. No question he is a different player to any of our midfield, but training and playing day in, day out with players like Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Dele and Kane absolutely seems to be benefiting him.

Re the goal itself, no question he and Dele had it planned .. link below shows Dele going back and back at edge of box and as Winks runs up, sprints at almost 90 degree angle his original movement to get to ball.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...scores-unexpectedly-important-goal-vs-everton

I actually think we are benefiting significantly from Poch not lending out young players he has identified for the future with us. I look at Winks and I see turns or shielding reminiscent of Dembele, no look passes and dinks ala Eriksen. No question he is a different player to any of our midfield, but training and playing day in, day out with players like Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Dele and Kane absolutely seems to be benefiting him.

Re the goal itself, no question he and Dele had it planned .. link below shows Dele going back and back at edge of box and as Winks runs up, sprints at almost 90 degree angle his original movement to get to ball.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...scores-unexpectedly-important-goal-vs-everton
Mopo's celebration, wow - almost better than the goal. And that was something very special too.

Thanks for that, I needed to see that to figure out why Everton were so switched off. Janssen is moving towards the sideline away from the box and it's only Dele that's in an attacking position. Their two centerbacks are looking around after they got split open by that run. Timed to perfection, what a delivery.

Thanks for that, I needed to see that to figure out why Everton were so switched off. Janssen is moving towards the sideline away from the box and it's only Dele that's in an attacking position. Their two centerbacks are looking around after they got split open by that run. Timed to perfection, what a delivery.
I was just saying to my son.."why the fudge is Janssen going out there"... and well it dragged a player away. Not sure if that was intentional but it worked.

It was great but it didn't last long mind. He had a face like a storm cloud a few minutes later.

Try sixty or so seconds later. One of the most hearty chuckles I've had this season (after the final whistle went), watching Poch's passionate celebrations and fist-pumping on the touchline turn into a look of cold, merciless, unadulterated murder in just under a minute. :p

Try sixty or so seconds later. One of the most hearty chuckles I've had this season (after the final whistle went), watching Poch's passionate celebrations and fist-pumping on the touchline turn into a look of cold, merciless, unadulterated murder in just under a minute. :p

Honestly, I was hoping Poch really gave the players the blowdryer back in the locker room. As much as I'm ecstatic that we made Everton switch off, we more or less did the same thing and that's inexcusable for any team that's pushing on for the title.

Honestly, I was hoping Poch really gave the players the blowdryer back in the locker room. As much as I'm ecstatic that we made Everton switch off, we more or less did the same thing and that's inexcusable for any team that's pushing on for the title.

Agreed. I'm sort of glad he looked like Genghis Khan back from a long day of pillaging to find some bosson-boov hulgaich in bed with the wife - it indicates that he probably didn't let it go after the game.

Edit: he brought it up in literally his first answer (to an only semi-related question) in the post-match press conference, so I think it's fair to say that he was still stewing about it as he walked off post-game.

Last edited:

I think it dovetails perfectly with the manager's philosophy that you sign to train. Thus if you are promoted to the first team squad, you are (in his eyes) gainfully employed and in pole position to attain what is needed to play for this club.

Agreed. I'm sort of glad he looked like Genghis Khan back from a long day of pillaging to find some bosson-boov hulgaich in bed with the wife - it indicates that he probably didn't let it go after the game.

Edit: he brought it up in literally his first answer (to an only semi-related question) in the post-match press conference, so I think it's fair to say that he was still stewing about it as he walked off post-game.

Oh dear. That makes me think of being younger, having committed some misdemeanour or other and dreading the angry reaction of a teacher or parent. But instead of reading the riot act they just say how disappointed they are in you. Rather than being pleased to have escaped a rollicking you feel far worse for having disappointed them.
I imagine that's how I'd feel if I were the cause of Poch's 'disappointment'.

Talk about high dudgeon. From that interview, if you didn't know the result you'd be convinced from Poch's facial expression and general demeanour we'd just catastrophically thrown all three points as a result of conceding that late goal.

But that's exactly what the situation demands of course. If we are going to challenge for big trophies absolutely all traces of sloppiness must be comprehensively and assiduously rooted out of our game from start to finish.

I think Poch got that sour taste from the end of last season (specifically Saudi Sportswashing Machine). He will put on a hard hat and start tearing down the stadium himself if that brick continues.

Poch was obviously tinkled at conceding the last goal, it was clearly a switch off by us.

That said, wouldn't read too much into it, he'll read them the riot act, make sure they keep the habit of concentration up after breaks/goals/etc.

Think we have to feel a little lucky that a defense that does not fudge up too often (in a way that leads to goals), slipped twice in same game yet it cost us nothing.

Only just joined the forum, but Winks is Marmite between my friends and me. I really can't see it. To me he is exactly like Mason, Bentaleb, and even Stephen Clemence. He passes the ball left to right and backwards, has loads of energy, but offers little more. He treats the ball like a hot potato and shows little confidence. Yes, he obviously has some ability, but to me he is a Hull/Stoke/West Brom player.

It certainly seems to have worked for Winks but Onomah has gone backwards IMO.

Only just joined the forum, but Winks is Marmite between my friends and me. I really can't see it. To me he is exactly like Mason, Bentaleb, and even Stephen Clemence. He passes the ball left to right and backwards, has loads of energy, but offers little more. He treats the ball like a hot potato and shows little confidence. Yes, he obviously has some ability, but to me he is a Hull/Stoke/West Brom player.
Funny how opinions work.... I see the exact opposite... I think he always looks for a good option... passes it if one is on and holdo on to it if a good pass isn't on. Looks a proper footballer to me.... intelligent, good control, vision, pass execution and cute movement off the ball.

Back