• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Can't see Levy going for that. It is rumour but doesn't the story go that Jose wanted to rest players for the midweek Southampton game before the Carabao Cup final v City and Levy told him in no uncertain terms that he couldn't because we were still in with a shout of top 4. Apparently it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

May be flimflam but doesn't seem too far fetched.

Would love an FA Cup final though - I have a feeling this is our year (disclaimer - I have that feeling most years).

Edit - it's more than rumour - https://www.givemesport.com/1679580...eement-with-daniel-levy-at-tottenham-hotspur/. Not that givemesport is a reliable source but Duncan Castles is basically Mourinho's mouthpiece.

I don't see any reason to believe that Levy would interfere with team selection in this way

It's not so much a tin pot validating him as a player, as it is that any great player wants to finish his career with silverware. And not just any silverware, but a league and/or PL title. John Stockton is the NBA's all-time assist leader and will continue to be for many years, and arguably the best pure point guard to play the game. I bet he would trade all that for one NBA title.

I don't know who would come in for Harry. It won't be City and Liverpool's style doesn't suit him. But United seem to be getting their brick together and, if we're out of CL next season, I can see him going there, if United make a bid. They're the closest to Harry winning a title, unless we have some continuity and managerial stability to allow us to challenge.

They had this conversation with a couple of strikers in the media, none were willing to trade a personal record for a trophy.

Re where he would go
- If outside of UK (very unlikely), he has Bayern & Madrid who might sniff
- In UK it's probably United only.

While I agree he has a shot at something with United, I don't think it's a title, City will be back, Saudi Sportswashing Machine will continue to spend, Chelsea will spend another £300M, Pool will be around. I think United is more taking advantage of the moment than truly a top side yet.

They had this conversation with a couple of strikers in the media, none were willing to trade a personal record for a trophy.

Re where he would go

While I agree he has a shot at something with United, I don't think it's a title, City will be back, Saudi Sportswashing Machine will continue to spend, Chelsea will spend another £300M, Pool will be around. I think United is more taking advantage of the moment than truly a top side yet.
There was something the other day I saw. Kanes records will be there forever etched in history books, him winning a league cup won't be remembered the same

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Can't see Levy going for that. It is rumour but doesn't the story go that Jose wanted to rest players for the midweek Southampton game before the Carabao Cup final v City and Levy told him in no uncertain terms that he couldn't because we were still in with a shout of top 4. Apparently it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

May be flimflam but doesn't seem too far fetched.

Would love an FA Cup final though - I have a feeling this is our year (disclaimer - I have that feeling most years).

Edit - it's more than rumour - https://www.givemesport.com/1679580...eement-with-daniel-levy-at-tottenham-hotspur/. Not that givemesport is a reliable source but Duncan Castles is basically Mourinho's mouthpiece.

It iis the sad state of football. League cup is worth maybe £2m. Cl could be £100m+.

Re where he would go

The thing is, though, that Harry already has the personal records and is going to add to them. It's not like anyone will be taking them away in exchange for a trophy. We just use that comparison for discussion purposes. So given he already has the personal records (at least until the next player eclipses them), he's not going to say "well, I'm done here; I'm not even going to try for a trophy." Because the same mentality that got him these records will push him to add trophies to his collection too.

The only thing in our favor is that in the near term there appears to be only one destination for Harry: United. He wants to break the PL scoring record, which is so much more meaningful than becoming Spurs' all-time top scorer, so he will likely choose to stay in the PL. Making United the only possible destination. Now if he breaks the record and still has a couple good years left, Real or Bayern would become an option. So let's hope that we make CL again this year and get our brick together mangerially this summer to incentivize him to stay.

The thing is, though, that Harry already has the personal records and is going to add to them. It's not like anyone will be taking them away in exchange for a trophy. We just use that comparison for discussion purposes. So given he already has the personal records (at least until the next player eclipses them), he's not going to say "well, I'm done here; I'm not even going to try for a trophy." Because the same mentality that got him these records will push him to add trophies to his collection too.

The only thing in our favor is that in the near term there appears to be only one destination for Harry: United. He wants to break the PL scoring record, which is so much more meaningful than becoming Spurs' all-time top scorer, so he will likely choose to stay in the PL. Making United the only possible destination. Now if he breaks the record and still has a couple good years left, Real or Bayern would become an option. So let's hope that we make CL again this year and get our brick together mangerially this summer to incentivize him to stay.

OR. Win a fudging trophy and finish above utd this season.

It's not so much a tin pot validating him as a player, as it is that any great player wants to finish his career with silverware. And not just any silverware, but a league and/or PL title. John Stockton is the NBA's all-time assist leader and will continue to be for many years, and arguably the best pure point guard to play the game. I bet he would trade all that for one NBA title.

I don't know who would come in for Harry. It won't be City and Liverpool's style doesn't suit him. But United seem to be getting their brick together and, if we're out of CL next season, I can see him going there, if United make a bid. They're the closest to Harry winning a title, unless we have some continuity and managerial stability to allow us to challenge.

There is an argument to suggest there is far to much made of the trophies in sport argument though. Yes they are there to win and are the aim but sports people are probably just by being professionals in the top 1-2% of the populations by just being a pro and as much as we all love to debate the game, myself included, who are we really to suggest what constitutes success for any player? Whats to say that just turning pro is not the ambition some player has and just by reaching that anything more is beyond their dreams? The percentages I speak of suggest that idea is much more likely than believing a career is only a success if you win something. I would say as an "Ok" player in his day who played to step 4 that turning pro would have been an ambition fulfilled, playing for one of the worlds biggest clubs ever in Spurs would be beyond those ambitions and becoming theirs and the countries record goal scorer would be beyond wildest dreams. I would say that putting those successes and filing in a compartment named failure is actually laughable when you think about it.

There is an argument to suggest there is far to much made of the trophies in sport argument though. Yes they are there to win and are the aim but sports people are probably just by being professionals in the top 1-2% of the populations by just being a pro and as much as we all love to debate the game, myself included, who are we really to suggest what constitutes success for any player? Whats to say that just turning pro is not the ambition some player has and just by reaching that anything more is beyond their dreams? The percentages I speak of suggest that idea is much more likely than believing a career is only a success if you win something. I would say as an "Ok" player in his day who played to step 4 that turning pro would have been an ambition fulfilled, playing for one of the worlds biggest clubs ever in Spurs would be beyond those ambitions and becoming theirs and the countries record goal scorer would be beyond wildest dreams. I would say that putting those successes and filing in a compartment named failure is actually laughable when you think about it.

Agree to an extent. But one of the biggest clubs ever is a stretch.

It is not possible to remember something that has not happened.
It was theretical comment on what would be remembered more a cup win or the records. Its one I tend to agree with, his records will stand and draw comments and association for alot longer than a cup win would

Not when you consider how many proffesional clubs there are across the planet it's not

Ever? Yes it is.

I don't know what metric you'd even use to try justifying us being one of the biggest clubs ever. Not trophies.

Ever? Yes it is.

I don't know what metric you'd even use to try justifying us being one of the biggest clubs ever. Not trophies.
I'm using the fact that there are literally hundreds of thousands of proffesional football clubs in the world. Spurs are undoubtedly within an elite % of that number which is my point.

And it's all about the bigger point relating to Kane and ambitions as I said. What chances to become a player, play in prem, play for a top team, break their record, break a national record. It's an absolutely dream's of all dream career to realise all those and only cynics would say any of that's failure because of not winning a trophy in my opinion.

I'm using the fact that there are literally hundreds of thousands of proffesional football clubs in the world. Spurs are undoubtedly within an elite % of that number which is my point.

And it's all about the bigger point relating to Kane and ambitions as I said. What chances to become a player, play in prem, play for a top team, break their record, break a national record. It's an absolutely dream's of all dream career to realise all those and only cynics would say any of that's failure because of not winning a trophy in my opinion.

I get what you are saying but people always want more. A player earning £10k a week is rich compared to most of us. He probably has a Ferrari and nice house. But if another player in the dressing room is earning £50k a week and has a superyacht he might feel poor. Then you have another that earns £100k a week and has a private jet. Then one that earns £500k a week and has an island. Suddenly our £10k a week player feels poor.

I get what you are saying but people always want more. A player earning £10k a week is rich compared to most of us. He probably has a Ferrari and nice house. But if another player in the dressing room is earning £50k a week and has a superyacht he might feel poor. Then you have another that earns £100k a week and has a private jet. Then one that earns £500k a week and has an island. Suddenly our £10k a week player feels poor.
Maybe so but that's not a written rule for everyone and even so that's up to the player to decide not for others to decide for them which is the basis of my oriental point.

Anyway got the Long good Friday calling me for tonight's viewing

Maybe so but that's not a written rule for everyone and even so that's up to the player to decide not for others to decide for them which is the basis of my oriental point.

Anyway got the Long good Friday calling me for tonight's viewing

Enjoy. And i love the oriental point.

This whole trophy issue is driven by media they have no heart or love of the game, they only want to sell to the most buyers/viewers/readers so must over hype winning a trophy as that attracts people who feel they are achieving something in their empty lives by clinging on to a winner. How many people know the players in the Blackburn league winners team or how many medals Luke Chadwick or Henning Berg have or who played left back for Sunderland when they last won the cup? People will know of Harry Kane long after all these pundits are on the dust heap.

Back