• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

"But how is all this worked out? Take Kane's hat-trick against Leicester last week, for example.
The 21-year-old's three goals at White Hart Lane helped Tottenham win 4-3, whereas without Kane they would have lost 4-1 - hypothetically speaking, of course.
Kane, therefore, 'won' three points by taking Tottenham from a losing position to a winning one, as he did against QPR on March 7 and Arsenal on February 7, too."

o_O

Last edited:
But how is all this worked out? Take Kane's hat-trick against Leicester last week, for example.
The 21-year-old's three goals at White Hart Lane helped Tottenham win 4-3, whereas without Kane they would have lost 4-1 - hypothetically speaking, of course.
Kane, therefore, 'won' three points by taking Tottenham from a losing position to a winning one, as he did against QPR on March 7 and Arsenal on February 7, too.
o_O
But, playing devil's advocate, it's also technically feasible to argue he gained us only one point in that game. Because it was our fourth - Schlupp's og - that eventually provided our winner and gained us the two extra points. :p

Isn't it obvious they just take each players goals away from the final scores and change the points accordingly?

It's an interesting footnote but ultimately doesn't really hold up to any scrunity.

Isn't it obvious they just take each players goals away from the final scores and change the points accordingly?

If you take 3 Harry Kane goals away, the final score is 1-3?

what a stupid statement. Take Costa's goals away or Aguero's and see what happens. He is our Lone striker, the point of our attack.

what a stupid statement. Take Costa's goals away or Aguero's and see what happens. He is our Lone striker, the point of our attack.

Well, they did that. Costa is 11th on the list for 'points won' and Aguero didn't make the list of 20. Probably because these teams have a greater variety of goal-scorers and a lot more clean sheets than we do.

Of course it's a crude stat, but I think it illustrates the need for us to improve defensively, as much as the importance of Kane and Eriksen to our side. Prime example is Harry scoring a hat-trick and all of those goals being required to get any points against the bottom side in the league. We never seem to get 2-0 'regulation' wins.

Kane, Mason, Townsend all starting, according to tabloids who photographed Hodgson's notes with his formation for yesterdays training:

_81885125_mirror_sport.750-1.jpg

If you take 3 Harry Kane goals away, the final score is 1-3?

Missprint i would have thought

It's an interesting footnote but ultimately doesn't really hold up to any scrunity.

That's what I thought too.

Probably a very high correlation to % of goals the player scored for the team with the GD of the team factored in.

Perhaps some interesting information with a large enough sample size. Some players seem to mainly score in games where the team is already winning or even crushing the opponents. Some players are better at coming up with goals in tight games. But you would need a much larger sample size along with some more detailed analysis to show anything.

It's primarily just a quick headline generating stat I think.

That statistic is questionable, as I've said, you can't value one player's contribution in that way.

Just another example of how stats are useless in a lot of cases. Stats are a useful tool ( I have used them in work) but more then not they never tell the full story and can be used to make what ever point some may be pushing.

The worst thing is that so many now regard them as the Holy Bible but they are not.

Kane, Mason, Townsend all starting, according to tabloids who photographed Hodgson's notes with his formation for yesterdays training:

So im expecting England to play like us then ;) Townsend will produce nothing, Mason will be all action and Kane will get a goal or two. But on a serious note its a good game to get them involved. Should have started Rose as well.

There is no way that that is the midfield for the Lithuania match. I would guess that those are the midfielders in the squad who won't be starting in midfield. That will be Carrick, Henderson, Sterling and possibly Delph/Milner.

My guess would be that these notes are for a defensive drill, and that those players are the ones who will try to attack against the defense and midfield that will start the match. Kane and Rooney might be the starting strikers, though. They don't need to take part in the defensive drill, so instead they are used as attackers to test the defense and to give Kane and Rooney the chance to get used to each other.

Just another example of how stats are useless in a lot of cases. Stats are a useful tool ( I have used them in work) but more then not they never tell the full story and can be used to make what ever point some may be pushing.

The worst thing is that so many now regard them as the Holy Bible but they are not.

Many on here? Or just journalists looking for a quick headline and fans in general?

Generally across the board, I blame it on the game players and their blind faith that its all down to stats in the real world as it is in the game world.

Not seeing many stats-bible-thumpers on here. More frequently I see people post that stats are meaningless or something similarly at the complete other end of the spectrum.

Most games are about attributes of individual players, not performance stats.

After selling Bale this really is the tonic we need. It's so good even if it is exaggerated by the media to an extent.

Had a peep on Arsemania and some of their fans are pretty complimentary towards him.

Back