• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

What doubts do you have?

My doubts are around that a lot of players in the first season (yes I know he played games at the end of Sherwood reign) being an unknown quantity and thriving on that. Not convinced he is as good as people make out (hold up play, playing upfront on his own), not convinced he has the ability (mainly pace, aggressiveness and few other bits) to create his own chances, not convinced that this season will not be a one off..

I was really hoping that in the cup final he would give Terry and Cahill the runaround a 2nd time and that his abilities would beat their reading of him and aggressiveness towards him and prove me wrong but he didnt..

I would be very impressed he if plays against Italy and gives whoever he comes up against a good game. What I am willing to concede is that he appears to be one of the best finishers I have ever seen and his goal tally is very impressive despite the overall service. His chance/conversion ratio I would guess at being immense and I would love to be proven wrong long term with Harry.

My doubts are around that a lot of players in the first season (yes I know he played games at the end of Sherwood reign) being an unknown quantity and thriving on that. Not convinced he is as good as people make out (hold up play, playing upfront on his own), not convinced he has the ability (mainly pace, aggressiveness and few other bits) to create his own chances, not convinced that this season will not be a one off..

I was really hoping that in the cup final he would give Terry and Cahill the runaround a 2nd time and that his abilities would beat their reading of him and aggressiveness towards him and prove me wrong but he didnt..

I would be very impressed he if plays against Italy and gives whoever he comes up against a good game. What I am willing to concede is that he appears to be one of the best finishers I have ever seen and his goal tally is very impressive despite the overall service. His chance/conversion ratio I would guess at being immense and I would love to be proven wrong long term with Harry.
If there's one lesson Harry's spectacular rise has taught us it's that there's no earthly point in speculating what he'll be like in the future. Not one single punter forecast he'd emerge so suddenly to become our most prolific scorer goals-per-game wise since Jimmy Greaves, so why don't we all just chill out, enjoy the here and now and let the future take care of itself?

My doubts are around that a lot of players in the first season (yes I know he played games a is t the end of Sherwood reign) being an unknown quantity and thriving on that. Not convinced he is as good as people make out (hold up play, playing upfront on his own), not convinced he has the ability (mainly pace, aggressiveness and few other bits) to create his own chances, not convinced that this season will not be a one off..

I do not think it is a case of him being as good or as bad as people make out, rather there at this time there is no reason to suggest that he is not as good as he has shown so far. And whether you accept it or not he has scored most of his goals so far playing up front on his own.

Interestingly, there are a number of pundits who subscribe to the fact that in the future he will excel in a number 10 position, likening him to a Teddy Sheringham type player. I would suggest that he has shown he is an intelligent player and has created a number of chances for others earlier in the season from a deeper role. You raise the issue of his lack of pace, well that is another reason why people have been drawing comparisons with Sheringham although he has shown he is stronger and faster than Sheringham.

I would also suggest that the fact that he does not have lightening pace means that he would be less susceptible to hamstring injuries. His non reliance on blistering pace gives me confidence that he will never go the way of Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler, i.e. become half the player once the blistering pace has been eroded by injuries.

I was really hoping that in the cup final he would give Terry and Cahill the runaround a 2nd time and that his abilities would beould also at their reading of him and aggressiveness towards him and prove me wrong but he didnt..

Least you forget the whole team played poorly in that final.

Yes he could become a one season wonder, although I sincerely doubt it, but personally methinks I have seen enough of his alround game to believe that even if does not become a 30 goal a season player every season he will continue to be a very important player for us,

no the paciest no doubt, but he makes up for it with strength, close control, a good shot, and ability to score from almost every part of his body.

he's the kind that will still score goals despite being man marked in a crowded box.

i dunno about you but i find that these type of strikers have a longer and more predictable career than the pacy sort.

I also think being a bit of an all rounder makes him harder to defend against as you be ready for, and cope with, everything not just brute strength or pace. That's one of the things that made shearer so good for so long, he didn't RELY on just a few exceptional attribute.

Harry is not exceptional at anything except being exceptional at decent at everything.

pacy players tend to fall apart due to their hamstrings. Owens game was never the same due to his injuries compared to when he was younger, you could argue the same thing has happened to Torres. You really want a Sheringham/Shearer kind of player.

pacy players tend to fall apart due to their hamstrings. Owens game was never the same due to his injuries compared to when he was younger, you could argue the same thing has happened to Torres. You really want a Sheringham/Shearer kind of player.

its all about being lucky with injuries.....the likes of Lineker, Wright, Henry were quick pacy players but never had any hamstring issues. Cristiano Ronaldo is fast, again no real hamstring problems in his career

article-3009269-26F301F400000578-504_636x461.jpg

edit: which other part did he score with ?

Clearly Kane needs to work on scoring with his chest, knees and shoulders :D

I see on http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings that we are joint top of the league (3 along with Swansea) when it comes to scoring with "other" body parts. Although Dembele is the only Spurs player with a goal in that category, courtesy of his chested goal against Liverpool.

You didn't see the league game at their ground?? He had them all over the place and they had no answer. he was bloody unlucky with the effort that hit the bar there too. The game at WHL was IMO him learning what worked in the first game. The final was them having a defensive midfielder covering the supply line and us not creating much at all

His chance conversion rate is so high s he works bloody hard on his shooting and tries to put it where it can't be saved which is the mark of a very good finisher

The reason why the pundits are not expecting him to be a one season wonder is that he has done it at every level on the way up (youth, under 21s etc..) and he hasn't came out of the blue really, along with his work ethic, great finishing, good team play, strength and stamina!!!

Id normally be in your boat and say wait and see him do it for 2/3 seasons which i think is fair however so far you have to take what he has done on merit and see what he can do next

Indeed.

Going back through the archives, back to when I first started following Tottenham:

Lineker (as mentioned) scored 15 goals in his first 13 league games at the start of 1991/92.
Sheringham scored 14 goals in 12 league games on his way to the Golden Boot in 1992/93.

The only comparable purple patches that spring to mind in recent years are:

Bale scored 14 goals in 15 games during the latter part of his 2012/13 campaign.
Defoe scored 14 goal in 18 PL games at the start of 2009/10 but he only found the net a further 4 times after the new year.

Keane (2007) and VdV (2011) jointly hold the club record for scoring in 5 consecutive PL games (along with Teddy in 1993) but neither finished those seasons with as many goals as Harry has already slotted home so far this campaign.

It's now 17 in Kane's last 15, meaning he overtakes even Lineker's best-ever sequence above. To find a longer run of better than a goal-a-game we must go back to Clive Allen's amazing start from the kick-off in August right through to December 1986 when he banged in 23 in 21 as lone striker in front of an outstanding five-man midfield that included Ardiles, Galvin, Hoddle, Waddle and his cousin Paul.

That statistic is questionable, as I've said, you can't value one player's contribution in that way.

Most statistics are, probably better use of the statistic would be the value/dependence of team on "contributing" player. (vs. purely points contributed)

The table would then say Spurs are more dependent on Kane/Eriksen than other teams are on any single player, which I wouldn't disagree with

But with this stat, we're only valuing goals. What about defenders who make decisive tackles, midfielders who make crucial passes/assists and the goalkeepers who keep them out at the other end? Without a goalkeeper saving shots then the goal that the striker scores isn't worth as much & so the statistic means nothing.

Instead, the statistic boils down to which player had scored most match winning goals & Harry Kane is the top Premier League Goalscorer so hardly surprising that he leads the way here too.

But with this stat, we're only valuing goals. What about defenders who make decisive tackles, midfielders who make crucial passes/assists and the goalkeepers who keep them out at the other end? Without a goalkeeper saving shots then the goal that the striker scores isn't worth as much & so the statistic means nothing.

Instead, the statistic boils down to which player had scored most match winning goals & Harry Kane is the top Premier League Goalscorer so hardly surprising that he leads the way here too.

I didn't make up the stat mate .. just presented it

Back