• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Handing in Notice.. Best way to do it!

Dicko

Edgar Davids
So after 4 odd years (where I've been considering leaving for about the last 18 months!) the day as almost come to hand in my notice. I've found a brand spanking new role and I'm ready to stick it the boss man..

Any ideas for the best way to hand in my notice?

PS. Serious question... If I need to give 4 weeks notice can I just book the whole 4th week off as Annual Leave or can they be tossers and make me work the whole thing?

Don't be a clown shoe about it, no matter how tempting.

Have you resignation printed and signed, set up a meeting with your manager and hand it in, simple enough. Make sure you do the "want to thank you for the opportunity given" etc. etc. bit.

Yes it's fairly normal to hand in a months notice, but take into account Annual Leave time outstanding.

So after 4 odd years (where I've been considering leaving for about the last 18 months!) the day as almost come to hand in my notice. I've found a brand spanking new role and I'm ready to stick it the boss man..

PS. Serious question... If I need to give 4 weeks notice can I just book the whole 4th week off as Annual Leave or can they be tossers and make me work the whole thing?

very much depends on the company - but its not really in their interest to not let you take it, as a) they know you wont give a damn for 4 weeks and b) they would most likely have to pay you for any outstanding (pro rated) annual leave

best thing is to do politely and professionally - dont burn any bridges

Nah I'll be polite. I wouldn't burn any bridges, it's a good company and you never know if i'll work with any of my colleagues again in the future.

The big boss left last year and I think everyone else is blind to the fact that things are going downhill.

I'm think i'm pretty well respected so I think they'll be gutted i'm leaving but it's relief to finally have something else sorted.

I'm off to Belgium to work in Brussels for the rest off the year. Should be good to try a new country and all that.

Yeah dont burn bridges - everyone knows someone and it comes back full circle to your boss who just so happens to know the Manager or Boss you will be potentially working for. They all do 'off the record' stuff.

Hand it in simple.

Depends on the boss and how well you know them, when i left i add a bit of humor some thing along the lines of "sorry to be leaving the loving arms of such and such company"..... They said it was the best and nicest resignation letter they have ever had.. i know get 80 % of my free lance work through them!!!

this doesn't - of course, prevent you from leaving a small selection of prawns hidden behind his furniture, immediately prior to leaving.

apparently the smell of rotting prawns in an air conditioned office is spectacular.

Or a nice nuggety 5 coiler snapped off in his bottom drawer.

I do of course, recommend the don't burn your bridges approach.........

1) You might still need a reference from them in the future
2) You probably aren't entitled to take the holiday, they would most likely deduct it from your final pay

Just be cool, say thanks for the experiences and be on your merry way. Who knows, you might even get a present.

Tape your resignation letter onto your erect **** and walk into the office proclaiming: "I'm not a number, I'm a fee man" then proceed to trash all pc monitors.

Believe me, you won't be forgotten in a hurry.

The court case will see to that.

Never burn bridges in life, you never know if it'll come back to bite you on the ass.

If you're going to a competitor tehn they'll probs put you on gardening leave. Otherwise you'll have to work the notice!

Tape your resignation letter onto your erect **** and walk into the office proclaiming: "I'm not a number, I'm a fee man" then proceed to trash all pc monitors.

Believe me, you won't be forgotten in a hurry.

The court case will see to that.

:ross:

Might need to be on A3 though hey? ;)

Whats the job? I'd love to work abroad.

Nothing too exciting, I work for a Pharmaceutical company. I've decided to set up myself as a Ltd company and try and make more money from contracting instead. Most of the contracts are in and around London but heard about this role in Belgium and thought 'Why not!?'

1) You might still need a reference from them in the future
2) You probably aren't entitled to take the holiday, they would most likely deduct it from your final pay

Just be cool, say thanks for the experiences and be on your merry way. Who knows, you might even get a present.

Annual leave is pro rata'd eg 24 days a year would be 2 days a month and if leaving in July you will have been entitled to 12 days annual leave so providing you have not had your 12 days you are entitled to take the difference in leave. Alternatively you can get it paid.

I agree though just be cool, if she is a hottie just ask her for all times sakes to ... you know... ahem...

Nothing too exciting, I work for a Pharmaceutical company. I've decided to set up myself as a Ltd company and try and make more money from contracting instead. Most of the contracts are in and around London but heard about this role in Belgium and thought 'Why not!?'

Nice I'm currently trying to get a secondment to somewhere for a few months, no joy as yet

I gave 4 weeks notice to my company on 1st June. (I start with my new job on 2nd July).

I was polite, courteous and official. No silly stuff. But I also reminded them I had accrued leave in the form of Bank Holiday lieu days (we get 8 per year, 9 this year) and I would like those to be deducted from my notice period in order that I could leave a.s.a.p..

Since the 1st June, I have had a running battle with my company, trying to finalise an actual leaving date based on the above. No-one, HR, admin, duty managers, department managers would make a decision.
By my calculations, I could have left following mondays shift, as I have 8 lieu days owing (I work a 3 days on, 3 days off pattern).

Finally today, they have agreed I can go after tomorrows shift, thus using 6 of those lieu days. They will have to pay me or the other two.

It's the strangest feeling.................26 bloody years at gatwick airport. It will be very hard saying good-bye tomorrow.

Going to cost me a fortune in cakes 8-[

Annual leave is pro rata'd eg 24 days a year would be 2 days a month and if leaving in July you will have been entitled to 12 days annual leave so providing you have not had your 12 days you are entitled to take the difference in leave. Alternatively you can get it paid.

I agree though just be cool, if she is a hottie just ask her for all times sakes to ... you know... ahem...

Thats my point though mate. I know plenty of people that thought they would be clever ****s and take all of their holiday then walk in and hand in their notice, only to find that they aren't entitled to most of it and get practically no money on their final paycheck. And how, there's no need to be an arse unless the place have been out of order. Being fed up of your job is no cause to be out of order imo.

Back