• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

Its a gamble though, its taking funds from later for now - and if it doesnt work now you are stuffed for years.

As I said previously - look at Everton:
The first Adam & Co loan was drawn last October and the second last month, meaning that Everton now have a total of 12 outstanding loans against their
property and assets. Most significant among them is a £30m loan from the Prudential which will cost £68m to repay over a 25-year term and "will be repaid in a securitisation agreement serviced by future season-ticket sales and match-day ticket sales".

They gave that money to Moyes, he tinkled it up the wall, and until the take over they were basically unable to compete in the market thereafter with all this debt to service hanging over them.

There is very little else for a ‘non doped’ football club to raise working capital for transfers and wages.
Its the main resource at our disposal. We can’t do it any other way.

Leeds had that idea, spending money in advance of income and we all know what happened there.

They all do it, but it’s how it’s managed which the trick. Levy has been very good at this so far.
Ridsdale took his eye of the ball and borrow far to heavily to pay for massive assault on the on the league title IF memory serves me.

images

I wonder whether he meant "braves"?

We do probably need 1 or 2 signings to make a big difference. We need quality signings though - a level above even Wanyama and Sanchez.

I wouldn’t compare us to City, Chelsea or United. The first two are bankrolled by people with near bottomless pockets and United are a commercial powerhouse in a way we will never be.

Take Liverpool so. They’ve gone and done what I’d have loved us to do this summer.

Their revenue is 364m. Ours is 306m. We will virtually plug that gap with the new stadium if it brings in an extra 50m per year. Based on Arsenal’s match day revenue, it will bring in around that amount.

Liverpool’s tv money will grow from the latest accounts but so will ours. There’s will grow by more though given they got to the CL final. However, we should see an upturn in commercial revenue to offset some of that. Either way we are in the same league as them with the new stadium yet they’re a long way ahead of us this window.

They spend 57% of turnover on wages. We spend 42%.

That’s the difference. Take a risk, be brave or continue to be risk averse.
Any idea how much we need to spend annually to pay the stadium off? That’s what I’d expect the remaining gap to be to Arsenal in the short term.

They all do it, but it’s how it’s managed which the trick. Levy has been very good at this so far.
Ridsdale took his eye of the ball and borrow far to heavily to pay for massive assault on the on the league title IF memory serves me.

There have been several clubs who tried to " live the dream" by spending money that they THOUGHT would be coming in, and they regret it now. And the ones who suffer most are the fans, some of them who encouraged/agreed with the spending of money that the club did not already have.

That’s why Levy is being called all sorts of things on here, because he will not risk beyond a certain point.

And who would you trust to have the health of our club at heart, Levy or fans who think the buying of players is as easy in real life as it is on one their kids p u t e r games.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less if we buy players or not

However Levy did say on a few occasions that financing and building the new stadium will have no impact on the ability to buy new players. So let's not blame the new stadium for not buying anyone

The club is well run, generating plenty of cash, the money is there to spend on new signings and always has been but we are just being careful in who we buy and making sure the squad is lean and not bloated.

I couldn't care less if we buy players or not

However Levy did say on a few occasions that financing and building the new stadium will have no impact on the ability to buy new players. So let's not blame the new stadium for not buying anyone

The club is well run, generating plenty of cash, the money is there to spend on new signings and always has been but we are just being careful in who we buy and making sure the squad is lean and not bloated.

Not helped by the stupid new rules over deadline closure.

Lollerpool don't have to finance a new stadium, though. That could be a 10% difference. And let's not forget the new contracts we renewed and players we still have to renew, which will bump up that 42% number.

That’s a good point on financing the stadium. Not sure on the numbers there.

But if we bumped our percentage of spend on wages to Liverpool’s level (57% of revenue), that’s an additional 45 million. That’s moving our current spend from 42% to 57% of our smaller revenue number. We’ve given Kane an additional 100k a week which is only 5.2 million. If we grew our revenue to Liverpool’s level, which we will get close to, that gives us even more to play with if we go closer to Liverpool’s ratio of spending on wages. We’d then have an additional 80m to spend on wages.

If we can’t compete with them on wages it’s because we’re choosing not to compete.

The stupid decision is not pushing back the season start till late August. 9 of our players have literally got 4 days of pre-season.

Ive been saying for years I want the window shut before the season, in time it will prove to be a good thing IMO.

Doing it this way, this season, however, was bloody stupid. As yo say - push the season back a week or so and its not such a problem.

Leeds had that idea, spending money in advance of income and we all know what happened there.

Leeds banked their future on reaching the CL. That was dumb given that they had no history of it, it was only 3 places at the time and they had a relatively young squad and manager. No one is suggesting we do that.

However there is nothing wrong with taking a risk against likely future revenue particularly when some of that revenue is guaranteed. The Glaziers bought United on that basis. Why do you think Juve spunked so much money on 33 year old Ronaldo? Every successful business does it contrary to your earlier post. Facebook and Amazon lost money for years but they are successful businesses.

Taking some risk is the sensible thing to do. Taking a Leeds type risk is reckless but not doing anything isn’t far off being just as stupid.

Ive been saying for years I want the window shut before the season, in time it will prove to be a good thing IMO.

Doing it this way, this season, however, was bloody stupid. As yo say - push the season back a week or so and its not such a problem.

Its got to be a europe wide agreed date and time as well.

Back