• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Golf Thread

Typical. I sound like a right moaning **** but last year I had £20 on Scott at the start at 8s then I topped him up after each round. I stood to win £430 and he was 4 up with 4/5 to play and completely bottled it!! This year I put £3 on him at 16s and fosters boy goes and wins it lol!!!!

Fair play to Scott, seems like a nice guy and good for him to win after the open.

Also credit to Cabrera, played amazing. Couldn't believe that iron he nailed on the 18th, Scott must have been devastated to see that. Could well have birdied both play off holes as well, that chip would have dropped on another day.

Fair play to Scott, seems like a nice guy and good for him to win after the open.

Also credit to Cabrera, played amazing. Couldn't believe that iron he nailed on the 18th, Scott must have been devastated to see that. Could well have birdied both play off holes as well, that chip would have dropped on another day.

So would his birdie putt on the 2nd play off hole...

Very gracious in defeat,too. Good to see.

Some great play from Scott I do like him, not sure what he will do when his putter is banned though as he was awful with a short putter

Right, I have a task for all you golfers out there..........

I'm building up a (used) new set for my youngest lad. Need a couple more clubs to get where we need to be.

He's pretty damn good (still only 12), so have got him Pings. He's also pretty small (5ft 1in) so only using ladies clubs as replacements for his old junior set.

This is what we have:

Irons: Ping Rapture (not V2), 5,7,9, with ladies ULT129 graphite shafts, gold dot (cut down by 2 inches)
Hybrid: Ping Rhapsody 26degree with Ladies ULT129 shaft
Woods: Ping G5, 3 and 5 wood, with ladies ULT50f graphite shafts

Am looking for additions to the irons, PW, SW, and maybe 6/8 irons, as well as a suitable driver.

If any of you are out and about, have a quick look in the used clubs bins at your clubs, and see if any of these are lying around would you?
Have exhausted e-bay and other similar sites.

Cheers

To celebrate the upcoming season, I bought a used Nike SQ Sumo2 4 wood with the stock Diamana stiff flex shaft. Thinking of taking it out on the range for a little test drive later today.

My goal for the season will be scoring regularly in the 80's, preferably the low end, but I'll take all sorts of 8's as I was shooting low 90's at the end of last season. March have been stupid cold, April likewise, still plenty of frost in the ground :(

Everyone on the PGA Tour is long off the tee, but in seven years on the tour, Bubba Watson has never finished a season ranked lower than second in the driving distance statistic. Last season he finished first for the fourth time with an average distance of 315.5 yards.

Watson's recognizable pink Ping G25 driver is easy to see in person and on TV as he lashes at the ball, but what most people fail to notice is that his grip is as big as a Sequoia.

"When I first met him in 2000," says Matt Rollins, Ping Golf's senior PGA Tour manager, "he had eight and six."

By that, Rollins means Watson enlarged his driver's grip by putting eight wraps of tape under the bottom half and six wraps under the top half.

"That was homemade and done by the Bubba Watson family. It just sort of came about by him and his Dad," Rollins says. But the four-time Tour winner and 2012 Masters champion didn't stop there.

"As we got going, Bubba said, 'Gosh, I wish it was a little bigger,'" Rollins says. "So we made it a little bigger. 'Man, I wish I didn't hook it as much.' So we made it even bigger. Finally we got to 12 and 10, and it's been there since 2004."

Aside from his putter, which has eight wraps of tape under the grip, all of Watson's clubs have that unique 12 and 10 wrap build up except his lob wedge—it has 13 wraps under the bottom half and 11 under the top.

To put Watson's massive grips into perspective, Rollins says, John Daly uses the second-largest grips on the Tour, but he only uses six layers of tape under his grips. Rollins is unaware of any professional golfer who does anything like Bubba.

Watson enlarges his grips so much because like a lot of big hitters, he fears hooking. Larger grips discourage rotating your hands and shutting the face on the downswing, so they promote a fade. Conversely, a club with a smaller grip encourages a draw because it lets golfers rotate their hands more easily and close the face.

Daniel Udd, Ping's master tour technician, is the person who does the work on Watson's equipment at Tour events. He says that Watson has his clubs re-gripped only twice a year, once in October and once shortly after the U.S. Open. Watson uses a Ping Gold grip, which is 1/32" larger than a standard-sized grip.

When he re-grips Watson's clubs, Udd cuts the old grips off carefully so he doesn't damage the tape underneath. Re-taping a club isn't hard work, but it adds about three to five minutes per club to the job (40-45 minutes for 13 clubs), so re-using an old tape job saves time.

Watson's decision to switch to a cordless grip a few years ago also helps Ping save time.

"Years ago, Bubba played a full-cord grip," Rollins says. "For us to put a new set of grips on a set of his clubs, so we're talking about 13 clubs, we'd need about 20 grips because the cords would pop. The build-up was just so big. Over time, and because his game evolved, he's gone to a rubber grip, which has made our lives a lot easier."

When you hold Watson's driver in your hands, it feels like an axe that Paul Bunyan would have used to clear a forest. With Bubba Watson morphing into a folk hero after his win last year at Augusta, that seems appropriate.

How did you get on at the Belfry, Marky?

Not bad really, hit my new driver so well, the 3 wood and hybird I kept fatting so need to hit a few balls with those methinks..

Think that with a bit more playing over the next few months I could easily play off 15 or 16 with not much effort

Back