• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Going backwards

Thats the whole point of having this squad in these competitions, you're not supposed to have a "best eleven" - I bet SAF wouldtn be able to tell you what his best eleven has been in previous years, he used his squad accordingly. What needs to happen is everyone just needs to be on the same wavelength, seen plenty of little one-twos that havent come off due to not reading eachothers movement, that comes with Europa League games like this where we can see Lennon and Eriksen for example and Eriksen and Lamela when we havent neccesarily seen these guys in the league together.

While Europa is useful for experimenting with combinations of players, I still don't think AVB knows what players to play where in the league. Is Holtby a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder, or a #10. I expect Holtby might have an opinion. Lamela - left, right, centre?

I find it hard to believe you spend all that money on players, but don't know where you want them to play. Or do you just buy quality players and assume they can play wherever you want to fit them in - because I don't believe that's a recipe for success. Did AVB really buy a bunch of players in the hope that he might be able to put them together in some way that would click, and would discover that by trial and error.

Sure you might have players who can do a job in several positions, but most players are at their optimum in particular position (often one that they want to play in).

Why break our necks at the end of a game ? We were winning, we needed to just hold on to the ball. This was what we couldn't do in years past.

I think AvB prefers a slow build up as we push and probe. Yes can be boring, but we don't waste energy in the game and over a long season. At the moment for me, results matter. I do, however, prefer a faster tempo, and win. Hopefully we will see that, but I do feel we are creating and finishing chances well now.

I agree with OP scum and Chelsea go for the throat when up 2 goals and put opposition to the sword where as we seem content to sit back and pass meaningless back passes and invite pressure somewhat.

I can see the argument that this is Europa far from home job done etc.. But we have done this in cup and league games as well under AVB and I think it's why our goal difference is never up to the other top clubs.

I don't want to sound like I'm not happy with our start or AVB but with the quality in our squad there is no reason we shouldn't be putting a crooked number on our opponents or at least trying to

The best start to a season in the clubs history and people still find reasons to bitch and moan. Jesus. It makes me very cynical about the modern breed of Spurs supporter.

It's really quite amazing.

Spurs have played 14 games this season.

Won 11.

Drawn 1.

Lost 2.

Scored 27 goals.

Conceded 5.

Kept 11 clean sheets.

Equaled our best start to a Premier League season.

Are two points better off than in the identical fixtures last season.

And there are still people who find things to complain about.

I just echoed your thoughts (which I had not seen) in another thread. It's mind-boggling.

I appreciate your sentiments, but I think that we should always be looking at ways to improve what we have. If we finish 2nd, do we really just think, 'oh, we've finished second, let's pat ourselves on the back for the achievement but we will completely ignore deficiencies'? Of course we shouldn't, we should be looking for ways to become even stronger and to finish in that first position.

We should always be looking to improve and complaints, and questions regarding performance are not always complaints but are questions raised for the consideration of certain tactics or a certain selection of players. Those questions can then be debated so that we may review our stance on the subject based on a wider set of ideas and opinions about the current scenario. That's the whole essence of a forum, isn't it? We can't have a forum where everyone agreed with everyone else, it would never work. A forum works on the grounds that people have different ideas.

Correct mate. And yours are being challenged! :lol:

Nothing of the sort, you are taking it to extremes. It is possible, you know, to win stuff playing decent football.

We were shocking tonight an could easily have lost. We are so negative its criminal with the players we have.

What AVB does is akin to driving a Austin Martin 50mph down the motorway. Yeah you will get there in the end but where is the fun in that? You can do the same with a £1k boring passat

Because frankly, as shown by some here, he will get ZERO support and backing without results. You know it and I know it. He has to try and mould an attractive side but also a very successful one. The pressure was on him the moment he stepped through the door.

His predecessor, on the other hand, walked into a false position with more than enough talent to get out of the relegation s**** and was also given 20-odd mill to buy us out of it that January. Even he admits in his autobiography (which I have to admit is a very good read and did leave me feeling a bit sorry for him over the court case)...

The mans getting caned NOW! FFS! It really feels like some want to be able to say 'I told you so' more than see him succeed. It's weird...really weird...

Because frankly, as shown by some here, he will get ZERO support and backing without results. You know it and I know it. He has to try and mould an attractive side but also a very successful one. The pressure was on him the moment he stepped through the door.

His predecessor, on the other hand, walked into a false position with more than enough talent to get out of the relegation s**** and was also given 20-odd mill to buy us out of it that January. Even he admits in his autobiography (which I have to admit is a very good read and did leave me feeling a bit sorry for him over the court case)...

The mans getting caned NOW! FFS! It really feels like some want to be able to say 'I told you so' more than see him succeed. It's weird...really weird...

thats an overreaction on your part........he is nowhere near being "caned". All some people are saying is that they would like to see us play with more verve and excitement.

anyway i cant be bothered to express anything negative now. We are winning and all is good in the world

3 pts v Hull [-o<

When teams park the bus against us sometimes the only way to go is backwards, we saw last night the number of times we tried to force that one last clever ball and they hoofed it clear for the counter.

We're in league competitons that are judged by the number of points you win, so far it's 9 from 9 in the EL and if it means playing out a 2-0 away win and passing backwards I'll take it and I'm sure when it comes to a point where goals mean more than pints you'll see them being scored by us I seriously don't think we've got out of third gear yet so that Aston Martin won't be hitting more than 50 for a while.

Correct mate. And yours are being challenged! :lol:

I know and you know I wouldn't want it any other way, :lol: I haven't replied to so many of the other posts, yet, because of sleep. I'll be back later to see if I've been left any breathing space to reply. :D

I just echoed your thoughts (which I had not seen) in another thread. It's mind-boggling.

Yes but the 'moaning' is around something different from winning matches. No one is moaning that we lost two games (although west spam everyone had a right to moan). People are 'moaning' about the quality of football not our ability to win games. Do they go hand in hand? partially and are not mutually exclusive I would agree but theyre not that intrinsically linked. You can play poorly and win.

Whether we're playing poorly or not depends on what people think our aim is. Above all else AVB has to win games and from that point of view we are definitely NOT playing poorly. Those that crave all out attacking football and lots of goals might not be entirely satisfied all the time, but it's not as if we're parking the bus and hoofing it.

I disagree, our problem last night was we were looking to go forward. Sheriff looked to sit deep and catch us on the break, we should have been passing it around amongst our defenders and keeper to draw them out, especially being a goal up there was no need to chase the game

When teams park the bus against us sometimes the only way to go is backwards, we saw last night the number of times we tried to force that one last clever ball and they hoofed it clear for the counter.

We're in league competitons that are judged by the number of points you win, so far it's 9 from 9 in the EL and if it means playing out a 2-0 away win and passing backwards I'll take it and I'm sure when it comes to a point where goals mean more than pints you'll see them being scored by us I seriously don't think we've got out of third gear yet so that Aston Martin won't be hitting more than 50 for a while.

Excellent post.

Whether we're playing poorly or not depends on what people think our aim is. Above all else AVB has to win games and from that point of view we are definitely NOT playing poorly. Those that crave all out attacking football and lots of goals might not be entirely satisfied all the time, but it's not as if we're parking the bus and hoofing it.

I don't think we are playing poorly in general this season, just the style of play isn't the best. The tempo starts slow and gets slower. But I do agree it's results that count and it's not like we are playing like Stoke under Tony Pulis.

However, some people are in denial about the performance last night. Yes we won and that's great, but some were arguing we didn't play badly.

thing is, it only seems to be slow against those teams that SHOULDNT be beating us. Like I said, against Chelsea we didnt play slow. Not as slow as against the likes of Cardiff, West Ham etc.

Back