• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Glenn Hoddle - time to come home?

Would you like Hoddle to manage Spurs again?

• No, thank you.

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • Yes, I want him in, whether it's now or at the end of the season.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Yes, I want him in the future, but I want Sherwood to continue managing next season.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Yes, I want him in the future, but I want LVG to manage us next season.

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Rob

Peter Taylor
Maybe it typifies the way in which we rose tint the past when we see fit (and to whom) that the idea of Glenn Hoddle coming back (and the dream of him leading us to glory is finally is finally realised) is an idea which first started as a seed and over the years has grown and grown? Maybe I'm deciding to forget his previous shortcomings and I'm taking the limitations of his squad as part of his defence....?

But the idea, which probably started as a seed the day he left, has grown nonetheless. What more could represent TRUE Spurs Folklore better than Hoddle being the man to take us to that next level? I took keen interest in his other jobs at clubs and his academy has impressed me from the word go - he set a target and has reached it, and set new ones and reached those too.

This latest article really caught the eye and I know he's been touting himself off like Danielle Lloyd at the Club Christmas Bash but I can't help but I can't help but think he talks a lot of sense....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-struggle-despite-spending-110m-9206153.html

I know the Dutchman is the clear new fans favourite for the top job in the summer but, given that as a possibility, would it be then regarded as a bad thing or a good thing if we got Glenn instead? With both men touting for the job could that suggest that they both feel the job might become available but that's all they know and Levy could still be convinced by the Sherwood who is so obviously well respected behind closed doors at the club?

Who would best serve us out of the three?

A Hoddle quote from the Express:

"In the opening six games, Roberto Soldado was running into spaces and channels, but he soon stopped, as the ball was never delivered when he made those moves, and therein lies the crux of the problem"

A Hoddle quote from the Express:

"In the opening six games, Roberto Soldado was running into spaces and channels, but he soon stopped, as the ball was never delivered when he made those moves, and therein lies the crux of the problem"

Yep that's the same story as the link above. At least we know someone else can see it!

I think in the mid-to-late 90s he was one of the most progressive coaches in the world.

I feel sorry that his spell in charge of us coincided with having such crap players.

But for me he's been out of the game too long and things have moved on so much that I think he'd be another Dalglish.

I would love to see him as England U21 manager though.

Every time I see him put up a formation on sky I think he's still living in a pre-guardiola pre-mourinho age.
Then I come on here and there's always someone impressed by his formation.
I think if he's still driven by management and coaching then he should get back into it, get to grips with the modern game and work his way up.

Last year around the time we sacked AVB he was talking about the merits of a transitional 352 with wingbacks and the holding midfield becoming the central playing in the back 3. His idea impressed me as it is in a way similar to teams like Liverpool or Bayern. What didn't impress me was that when he applied it to our squad he set it out with Walker and Rose as the wing backs with three central defenders screened by Paulinho and Sandro with Townsend as the solo creative force in the centre behind the two strikers. Basically it was a 352 that lacked transition.

I'd assume that if he actually had time with our squad of players he could make it work but his preliminary idea did worry me.

I think in the mid-to-late 90s he was one of the most progressive coaches in the world.

I feel sorry that his spell in charge of us coincided with having such crap players.

But for me he's been out of the game too long and things have moved on so much that I think he'd be another Dalglish.

This 100%.

The two worst things that happened at Anfield in the last 30 years were Souness and Dogleash returning as managers. With Dogleash it was like watching "Life on Mars"; he acted like someone from the 80s.

The right backseat role for Glenn, with the right manager, could be brilliant though. DoF? At other clubs a legend like this would be Honorary Club President.

NOOOOO

And wouldn't be another Daglish, Daglish had actually achieved something. Hoddle would be another Keggan.

you dont know what you're talking about IMO

you cant possibly know what this man knows and just because you are biased against the English contingent doesnt mean that you can assume that everyone local fits in with your thoery about their level of knowledge about the game

GB this is not meant to get at you but did you ever see Glenn play? This man was light years ahead of his time as a player , someone who could stand toe to toe with the current greats and IMO someone whose boots even Modric was not fit to lace as a playmaker. So he is not cut from the same cloth as the traditional cloggers English football produces. He is more intelligent and able to adapt to the modern game far more easily. His problem is man management.

I agree.

I'd like to see him replace Trevor Brooking at the FA and be given ten years, a free reign and a big pot of cash to reform youth development in this country.

Yes yes Yes. Till the end of the season only. We are not just standing still under Sherwood, we are seriously regressing, and this mentality could fester through the club till next sesson (look what happened to our league form under Ramos after we won the cup and how that negativety carried on at the start of the following campaign).

Im seriously worried about our club at the moment.

No. I would like to see him manage England. We need a manager with a plan and a free hand to recruit and develop the type of player needed in that plan and not just "names" to placate delusional fans and sell replica kits.

I prefer if he had a dry run with someone else first,i know he has his training schools out in Spain,but it im not sure who he is waiting for or if he has applied for any jobs recently,it was a rumour down here, he was asked if he wanted the Swansea job till the end of the season but he said no.

If Norwich sack Chris Hughton and they stay up he should go there to see if any of his ideas come off,but to come into the Spurs job a bit raw i can see him failing again,i think.In years to come the Spurs job will come up a few times knowing how Levy operates so the opportunity of managing Spurs will always be there.

Every time I see him put up a formation on sky I think he's still living in a pre-guardiola pre-mourinho age.
Then I come on here and there's always someone impressed by his formation.
I think if he's still driven by management and coaching then he should get back into it, get to grips with the modern game and work his way up.

Now who else could that career path be suggested to?

Ha ha no way no chance no thank you Sir

As a pundit he talks sense one second and nonsense the next, so just as you are thinking "yeah OK sounds good" he says something like Zokora being able to burst forward and provide creativity, or Kaboul able to play wing back, or Eriksen being a holding quarterback and you just think "no mate... just... no"

I think, if we get real about the sort of club we are, we should get him as boss.

We ain't gonna win the league without a few hundred million invested. The closest we might get is when we manage to have a team of capable players for a season or two, before bigger fish come and take away the stars. Watch how it pans out for Liverpool -- they'll have a great season this year, end up selling Suarez, and be battling away for 4th again, all the while thinking "just a couple more players and we'll be right up there." They won't be able to compete with Chelsea, City and Utd (once they get a better manager), they don't have the money. Yet they still have more money for wages than us, as do Arsenal.

"Oh, but wait til we get the new stadium" -- sorry, goons already did that, and they still can't top the wall of money. All we currently aspire to be is a worse version of Arsenal, finishing 4th to get the money to finish 4th again next year.

Or, we could just accept that, bar a miracle, we won't win the league. BUT, we can win the cups, as we traditionally have done in our history. We've never been a league club, not really. We're a cup team. With a tradition of attacking football.

Under GHod last time, we played some good stuff. We couldn't sustain it and the wheels came off, but he had nowhere near the squad depth the we have had over the past 5 years. We got some spankings, but we've got them, under Harry, under AVB. We'd get them again, I'm sure.

But we'd have one of us in charge. We could hopefully continue to try and bring through young talent (likes of Bentaleb), play good football and win a few cups. And, from next season, we can aim for Champions League football via winning the Europa League. We've won 2 Uefa cups in our history, and we have a decent chance of adding to that tally and getting some more great European nights in the Champions League by actually winning a trophy.

I am really done with the whole concept of 4th to finish 4th, and I am done deluding myself that we will ever compete for the title on a regular basis. Oil-money takeover apart, it's not going to happen. I would like to see us stand for our traditions, and it might even be fun to go to home games again if we just forgot about where we finish in the league.

Back