• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

So where does everyone feel is going to be his best position for us once he’s fully acclimatised?

I’m starting to think more ‘Modric’ than ‘Eriksen’....

Central midfield. He's a tenacious bastard.

I still cannot see why we could not have Bruno Fernandes and Lo Celso in the same side TBH (stand by as I actually show I can see why and thus argue myself down). It must come down to physicality and Mourinho not wanting too many shorties in there. I suppose that makes sense given the league, but is it too much to ponder a pairing of Lo Celso and Fernandes? One left, one right, each capable of playing great passes and with Gio -as you said- showing he does not mind getting in there? Once he toughens a little more? Still, probably won't happen as a pair because a) we won't sign Fernandes and b) as said, we want bigger in the side.

I still cannot see why we could not have Bruno Fernandes and Lo Celso in the same side TBH (stand by as I actually show I can see why and thus argue myself down). It must come down to physicality and Mourinho not wanting too many shorties in there. I suppose that makes sense given the league, but is it too much to ponder a pairing of Lo Celso and Fernandes? One left, one right, each capable of playing great passes and with Gio -as you said- showing he does not mind getting in there? Once he toughens a little more? Still, probably won't happen as a pair because a) we won't sign Fernandes and b) as said, we want bigger in the side.

I think that it will be Ndombele alongside but slightly deeper of the two. I think that there is a nice balance between the two, both can do a bit of everything and can switch positions.

Slightly confused when you say one left one right. Are you talking about in the centre of midfield or wider on the wings?

If you're thinking the centre then we already have Ndombele to play the passing CM along with Lo Celso and potentially Gedson. I really don't think you could get away with a midfield three of Ndombele, Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes. If you're thinking the wide areas, neither are wide players and that would not get the best from either of them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Slightly confused when you say one left one right. Are you talking about in the centre of midfield or wider on the wings?

If you're thinking the centre then we already have Ndombele to play the passing CM along with Lo Celso and potentially Gedson. I really don't think you could get away with a midfield three of Ndombele, Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes. If you're thinking the wide areas, neither are wide players and that would not get the best from either of them.

Why couldn’t those three work?
Their goals, creative and a work rate
The modern DM that people want is actually just a hard working player that covers space and ground quickly

Why couldn’t those three work?
Their goals, creative and a work rate
The modern DM that people want is actually just a hard working player that covers space and ground quickly
I dont know if I want a pure DM but you do need someone positionally aware. There isn't a top team that doesn't have that player. Could one of those 3 be that player? Maybe Ndombele, he's shown inklings and his interception and tackle rates are actually very good. But a Busquets, Fabinho, Fernandino, Casmiro etc are all more defensive minded than he is and seems neccesary to truly free your passers in midfield imo.

I do feel that Gedson can fit the mould that we are speaking of, a defensively aware player would good work rate but he isn't Bruno Fernandes and that balance looks better to my eye.

I did mean the centre and honestly, it is probably untenable even hypothetically due to size. I agree with you and Milo re:Ndombele but we have to hope he becomes a 35+ game a year player first.

We do need a battling CDM or whatever nomenclature is used nowadays else we will find ourselves back pre-Wilson Palacios days.

We do need a battling CDM or whatever nomenclature is used nowadays else we will find ourselves back pre-Wilson Palacios days.
I’m not so sure, think back to Leicester and they had drinkwater and Kante holding midfield, hardly big or what I would call holding DM’s. It worked however due to work rate and harassing people, and on that basis I think gedson, NDombele and Lo Celso can work in a 3.

Makele, Cambiaso, Diarra, Khedira, Matic.

Basically always.

I wouldn't describe Makelele as a battling midfielder. He likes a player who can disrupt play but he also wants his midfield to be able to break fast and move the ball quickly. Lo Celso and Ndombele both offer this.

I wouldn't describe Makelele as a battling midfielder. He likes a player who can disrupt play but he also wants his midfield to be able to break fast and move the ball quickly. Lo Celso and Ndombele both offer this.
Depends on definitions. I don't think it can be argued that Lo Celso and Ndombele are as good defensively as those listed above at this point, probably they never will be imo. If in time they could be good enough defensively in a well functioning team to do that job time might tell.

Depends on definitions. I don't think it can be argued that Lo Celso and Ndombele are as good defensively as those listed above at this point, probably they never will be imo. If in time they could be good enough defensively in a well functioning team to do that job time might tell.

I'm not against signing a more defensively minded midfielder, I think that it would be a good idea, it was more the term battling midfielder that I was questioning. I'm probably splitting hairs.

Back