• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Georginio Wijnaldum

Around two thirds of that will be the sale price.

I'm not so certain but probably slightly less. We have no need to sell, don't need the money and he has 5 years left on his contract. The market is also very much over in flates.

We're also selling to Liverpool. They paid us £35M for Andy Carroll once.

If he chooses us over Liverpool, it will be a reflection on the relative values of the Spurs and Liverpool brands. Of course, their brand is better at the moment, but every year we chip away at their lead. Soon our brand will at least as good as theirs and it will not long before we overtake them as Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea have already done.

If he chooses us over Liverpool, it will be a reflection on the relative values of the Spurs and Liverpool brands. Of course, their brand is better at the moment, but every year we chip away at their lead. Soon our brand will at least as good as theirs and it will not long before we overtake them as Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea have already done.

Pool faded a while ago (other than in media/pundits view)

If price/wages were the same, I have no doubt he would choose us (CL, settled team, London, etc.), truth is, we have a ceiling on how stupid we are willing to pay, Pool doesn't seem to buy anyone unless they have overpaid, so could easily see him ending up there at a 30M price, earning 140K/week.

In terms of branding, we're decades behind Liverpool! Today I went to the replica sport shops in Bangkok, of which I visited at least 40. NONE of them had our new kit, and they all said I was the only one that had asked for it! All the others were available, even the likes of fudging Hull City and Boro! Add to that, we have AIA as our main sponsor and they are huge here! We're almost an unknown quantity outside of Europe.

Sent from outer space

Last edited:
I guess it is about feelings not facts. And all thing being equal, most players, as Raziel says, would choose us for footballing reasons.

As for the brand values, I would say the Spurs brand is strengthening, whilst the Liverpool brand is being trashed by their owners. However, what we can not deny is that the gap in revenues between us and them is widening year on year.

I'm not so certain but probably slightly less. We have no need to sell, don't need the money and he has 5 years left on his contract. The market is also very much over in flates.

Yes but you were both PL teams back then. You are now a Championship club. You say you have no need to sell, but your wage bill is large and your income in the Championship will be reduced drastically. It is feasible that Ashley will dip into his pocket to cover the shortfall, but more feasible is you selling a couple of players.

I think you should sell. The stumbling block is that he is not £27mil good and if Saudi Sportswashing Machine hold out for that then only a club like Liverpool who still hanker after some magic pill to get them back into the CL will pay such a stupid figure. If you think Wijnaldum and Sissoko were dialing it in last year just imagine how motivated they will be next season in the Championship. Cash your chips in and buy someone who gives a damn is my opinion on it.
(edit ...or give Aarons a run out. He looks like he could develop into a good player)

Last edited:
I guess it is about feelings not facts. And all thing being equal, most players, as Raziel says, would choose us for footballing reasons.

As for the brand values, I would say the Spurs brand is strengthening, whilst the Liverpool brand is being trashed by their owners. However, what we can not deny is that the gap in revenues between us and them is widening year on year.

Don't think I agree on that (both clubs increase in total turnover in past year is within 1% of each other), revenues really are 3 things

- Matchday revenue -> 45M for Spurs vs. 51M for Pool, that gap will probably swing around in our favour as both stadiums get updated (Pool final plan is 58K, ours 61K), with a huge emphasis on our side to greater corporate/suite type facilities.
- TV revenue -> 95M for Spurs vs. 100M for Pool, this is moot, it will usually be close enough, depends on cup runs, etc.
- Commercials -> 42M for Spurs vs. 103M for Pool, this is where Pool has had the advantage, merchandising, sponsorship, etc.

If I look forward

- Spurs will likely have an advantage in Matchday revenue once stadiums are done
- TV revenue will be similar
- Neither club have a marque player globally (Pool's merchandising was from historical success +Torres/Gerrard/Suarez moving a lot of kit), out of the two clubs, Kane & Alli might have the most draw if their progress continues.

I'd bet on the NFL deal, CL participation this year, better sponsorship, the work we do with overseas markets like the US and Levy's general business acumen to keep closing the gap.

Pool finished 8th on 5th highest wages, we finished 3rd on 6th highest wages, Pool may have a historic advantage, but that gap is certainly not widening.

Don't think I agree on that (both clubs increase in total turnover in past year is within 1% of each other), revenues really are 3 things

- Matchday revenue -> 45M for Spurs vs. 51M for Pool, that gap will probably swing around in our favour as both stadiums get updated (Pool final plan is 58K, ours 61K), with a huge emphasis on our side to greater corporate/suite type facilities.
- TV revenue -> 95M for Spurs vs. 100M for Pool, this is moot, it will usually be close enough, depends on cup runs, etc
- Commercials -> 42M for Spurs vs. 103M for Pool, this is where Pool has had the advantage, merchandising, sponsorship, etc.
ge in Matchday revenue once stadiums are done
- TV revenue will be similar
- Neither club have a marque player globally (Pool's merchandising was from historical success +Torres/Gerrard/Suarez moving a lot of kit), out of the two clubs, Kane & Alli might have the most draw if their progress continues.

I'd bet on the NFL deal, CL participation this year, better sponsorship, the work we do with overseas markets like the US and Levy's general business acumen to keep closing the gap.

Pool finished 8th on 5th highest wages, we finished 3rd on 6th highest wages, Pool may have a historic advantage, but that gap is certainly not widening.

Those were my feelings but I looked at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

and their figures seem to suggest that the revenue gap is widening.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 16.46.22.png

However, I share your optimism for the future and I look at Liverpool's decline with a certain amount of schadenfreude.

Yes but you were both PL teams back then. You are now a Championship club. You say you have no need to sell, but your wage bill is large and your income in the Championship will be reduced drastically. It is feasible that Ashley will dip into his pocket to cover the shortfall, but more feasible is you selling a couple of players.

We don't need to sell full stop. Things might be different if we don't get promoted at first time of asking but I expect us to win the league easily with in excess of 100 points.

Rafa Benitez has the final say on all transfers, he will sell Wijnaldum and Sissoko if the money is right and he sees it as better value for him to re-invest.

We've already reduced our wage bill by releasing high earners like Coloccini and Taylor (yes this clown was on about 50k a week) and selling Cisse. I'd also expect Tiote to be binned.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine are on the up. We've got one of the best managers in the world and he has full control of the club. We'll be back in the upper tier of the Premier League in no time.

Those were my feelings but I looked at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

and their figures seem to suggest that the revenue gap is widening.

View attachment 2853

However, I share your optimism for the future and I look at Liverpool's decline with a certain amount of schadenfreude.

something odd about those numbers (and probably wildly skewed by player/suarez/bale numbers in past few years), when you separate it (as I did), its really a merchandising/sponsorship gap to look at.

- additionally on that list in 2008, Pool was the 4th highest ranked club, we were 14, presently that's 8th & 10th (we have more than doubled in value in that period, Pool has slightly less than doubled)

Perhaps it rose tinted glasses, but I see a tough future for Pool, I think like the Scum & Manure, their financial model is really built on requiring CL football for long term stability, they would be in huge trouble if their last sale didn't manage to miraculously clear debt. They have lost their top 4 status and not only need to outspend/outperform City/Cheat$ki/Manure/Scum, they have us and the inevitable 1-2 outside challengers per season.

Back