• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Re: Transfer Rumours

Ask the 50 best clubs in Europe who they'd want out of Lloris, Begovic and Foster. 50 would say Lloris. I don't understand this attitude of sell a good player if we get a good offer so we can replace him with someone not quite as good but use the money to marginally upgrade another position. You're just moving a weakness from one part of the field to another, why should fans care how much we get? We got over £110m of "I'd take that" for six players this season and look where it's gotten us. Keep good players -> sell/replace bad players -> get better. Sell good players -> replace with inferior players -> get worse.

I agree with your post and I don't think that Begovic nor Foster are anywhere near Hugo's quality. I just meant that clubs tend to prefer and be slightly biased towards the home grown players. I'm pretty sure that if PSG had an option between Neuer and Lloris, they would choose Lloris.

Is his poor distribution down to him or the way we play?

Also he has not had a consistent back 4 in front of him at any time to help build understanding.

He is a top class keeper. The world knows it. We just need our defense to improve.

I don't think Lloris has had a particularly good season, he's had as many lowlights as highlights, but I think that description could apply to most of our squad this term. IMO we should keep Lloris for one more season at least and go for Begovic as well. We need a decent back up keeper considering Gomes' likely exit and Friedel's decrepitude. We can sell him on the idea that he'll play all cup matches and be number one the following season (probably....maybe.....possibly). If Lloris has another meh season like this one then move him on and promote Begovic.

because Lloris is more of a name - the top clubs buy established stars, mostly - doesn't mean they're always the best or that others can't prove to be better than them.

why did Arsenal buy Ozil and not Eriksen?

Because the Scum wanted a "pacify the fools" purchase

Lloris is miles better than Foster/Begovic/etc. And again people keep going to saves, you have to look at how many attacking plays he kills before it happens. And if we plan to keep the high line, don't think there is a better keeper in the world.

We forget the nightmare run of **** keepers we had, even good keepers have issues (look at Brad "my feet are nailed to the line"), Lloris only issue for me is his distribution, which a coach can fix in 10 seconds by telling him to roll out to defense and have them distribute.

So you think those two are at least equal to Hugo? Makes you wonder why a big club like PSG are wasting their time when they could just get one of those two for much cheaper eh ...

Personally I don't consider PSG a big club, just a rich one now and that's why they what him... The French captain. They need to get some French blood in IMO as at the moment there major signings have all been foreign

I rate Lloris incredibly highly but he is far from irreplaceable. His distribution is woeful but he commands the area well. His reflex shot stopping is second to none but he comes out too rashly at times.

Begovic for example does all that Lloris does extremely well but actually kicks the ball to his own players

That kind of distribution in a fast league is massively important IMO

I agree with the above (apart from the use of there rather than their but that's my own problem I guess...)

Lloris is spoken of as some sort of GHod sometimes but he's been far from perfect, at times excellent and at times ****ing woeful.

Seems like a nice guy but has a lot to work on, it won't be the end of the world if he leaves in the summer

Personally I don't consider PSG a big club, just a rich one now and that's why they what him... The French captain. They need to get some French blood in IMO as at the moment there major signings have all been foreign

I rate Lloris incredibly highly but he is far from irreplaceable. His distribution is woeful but he commands the area well. His reflex shot stopping is second to none but he comes out too rashly at times.

Begovic for example does all that Lloris does extremely well but actually kicks the ball to his own players

That kind of distribution in a fast league is massively important IMO

Maybe because you watch Lloris every game and only see Begovic making a couple of nice saves on motd and filter the rest out of your mind. Big clubs will go for Lloris because he's a name, can't possibly be because he's actually better .. :-k

I bet we all think Caulker's better than Vertonghen now as well don't we.

Lloris is spoken of as some sort of GHod sometimes but he's been far from perfect, at times excellent and at times ****ing woeful.
He's not perfect but he'd seem pretty far down our priorities list for me, would we really do any better? The 4 guys (any formation thereof) stood in front of him, apparently playing the game for the first time, would be much more of an issue.

Maybe because you watch Lloris every game and only see Begovic making a couple of nice saves on motd and filter the rest out of your mind. Big clubs will go for Lloris because he's a name, can't possibly be because he's actually better .. :-k

I bet we all think Caulker's better than Vertonghen now as well don't we.

I'd love to keep Lloris and think he has been very good this season but has made the odd mistake or two... No one Is perfect. If he is happy to stay then I wouldn't sell as the others are be scarily upgrades but are very good with potential to be as good or better

Begovic has a great clean sheet record too and is being talked of signing for Madrid (think it was Hughes who said it so take it with a pinch of salt). We wanted him before and actually got paid some moment for him from Portsmouth because they sold him to us but he signed for stoke IIRC

Caulker I wouldn't go near to be honest. Still has raw potential and great in the air but generally average to poor on the floor.

Ask the 50 best clubs in Europe who they'd want out of Lloris, Begovic and Foster. 50 would say Lloris. I don't understand this attitude of sell a good player if we get a good offer so we can replace him with someone not quite as good but use the money to marginally upgrade another position. You're just moving a weakness from one part of the field to another, why should fans care how much we get? We got over £110m of "I'd take that" for six players this season and look where it's gotten us. Keep good players -> sell/replace bad players -> get better. Sell good players -> replace with inferior players -> get worse.

Or the - lets replace VDV with Siggy approach (which was actually very popular on here before it happened)

Can he be replaced with better should be the question. If the answer is no then why as a fan would you "take it" if a reasonable offer came in? Can we just keep our good players please, sell the worst ones first.

Agreed.

To some extent selling settled players that are performing at a high level to replace them with players that won't be settled will always have an inherent risk. Whatever profit is made by selling one player and replacing him with another deemed to be at the same level must outweigh the risk of the new player not settling properly or not actually being as good as previously thought.

In addition to that we might be looking at 2-3 new regular starters in the back 4 next season, along with one or two elsewhere on the pitch. And we have 7 players that are still integrating from last summer that aren't exactly super settled apart from Eriksen. Replacing even more players like Lloris could further set us back in terms of consistency and that's not a good thing.

I know its only Metro

Chelsea have reportedly agreed a £50m deal for Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa, 25, to join them on 30 June.

Full story: Metro

But, if this is true, we need to be speaking to Chelsea now about sorting a deal out for Lukaku

I know its only Metro

Chelsea have reportedly agreed a £50m deal for Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa, 25, to join them on 30 June.

Full story: Metro

But, if this is true, we need to be speaking to Chelsea now about sorting a deal out for Lukaku

Yep ... talk to him now

Or the - lets replace VDV with Siggy approach (which was actually very popular on here before it happened)

Agreed. Ridiculous wasn't it? Can't believe how many people were happy with it - was the vast majority. We manage to attract someone with 100 caps for Holland, ex Real Madrid and still in their prime and people were happy to replace him with someone who'd had one good season for Swansea and one for Reading. Now look at the mess we're in - if we tried to sign a similar Rafa from Real today we wouldn't have a chance

I still think the transfers are academic, and very much secondary, to the manager/coach situation.
Until that is fixed, then whoever comes in, won't function to their potential imo, along with the other under performers.
I would also look at overhauling the medical team, because again, what good is having 40% on the treatment table.

I'd keep Lloris all day. Just wish Levy would open talks with him for a one year extension on the provision that we get a decent coach in. That way he gives us one more year and if he wants to leave he can because if we forced another year he would go for cheap the next summer (Lloris only has two years left on the contract IIRC)

I'd keep Lloris all day. Just wish Levy would open talks with him for a one year extension on the provision that we get a decent coach in. That way he gives us one more year and if he wants to leave he can because if we forced another year he would go for cheap the next summer (Lloris only has two years left on the contract IIRC)

Nope, give him a full new contract (4 years +raise), if someone wants him end of next season, they will pay for it.

Groan .. this **** never dies does it ...

If PSG offer 10M for Lloris, Levy will do like Pool ...
Much like if Madrid offers 85M for Suarez, Pool will do like Levy

Then let's say it how it is - we will always be a selling club under Levy and Enic. Time for another billionaire to come along and make us like they have Chelsea and City!

Bet you're going to respond with something along the lines of "we don't want to lose our identity etc." blah blah blah!

Selling your best players doesn't work - evidence? Tottenham Hotspur Football Club!

I think you are underestimating how good Lloris is and how hard it is to find a decent keeper.

Lloris is the first really good goalie we've had since Clemence. That's 25 years.

I totally agree. People spouted the same bollox when VdV was moved on - I'm still waiting to see a player with his ability to influence a game not to mention his goals.

Why we would take a utd reject and a player who chose to move to Stoke is beyond me? Neither are better than Lloris in my eyes and if we have learnt anything this season its £better the devil you know!"

Back