• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Agree with most of this. However the new stadium is too small to make any notable change. All the growth is abroad.

My view is that we need to stop thinking like the rest of the league and differentiate ourselves from the tag that we are a more than an above average PL club. We cannot compete on salaries and transfer fees so we need to offer something else to attract and retain top players and staff.

This starts with changing the perspective of everybody that views the club from the outside. The most interesting development this summer has been the Utd signings which have demonstrated that you don't even need to have European football to sign anybody, just PL football and the profile.

I've travelled a lot and know that our profile is not good abroad, we are only known as the club that had Klinsmann, Davids, Berbs, Bale and VdV. We need to take positive steps to improve our international profile thus yielding more fans, tv fans and therefore players into the medium term.

1. Attacking and entertaining football.
2. One world class attacking player at all times. This player will define us internationally.
3. Greater access to the club through TV and media. The more open and natural we are the more fans we will find.

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

All of that is all well and good but it all comes down to success on the field;
Plus remember that we have built a state of the art training ground and set of facilities.

Our support in the Far East in 2011/11 went up tenfold during our CL run, and especially Bale's amazing hat-trick vs Inter.
Success and being involved in exciting games in the latter stages of the EL will probably have a similar (though granted not the same) effect.

Failing going down the other route (i.e. financial doping a la Chelski and Emirates Marketing Project) the other way we can grow our profile is steady and consistent success on the field (a EL win in exciting circumstances would be a good start...)

So as we were then...

Agree with most of this. However the new stadium is too small to make any notable change. All the growth is abroad.

My view is that we need to stop thinking like the rest of the league and differentiate ourselves from the tag that we are a more than an above average PL club. We cannot compete on salaries and transfer fees so we need to offer something else to attract and retain top players and staff.

This starts with changing the perspective of everybody that views the club from the outside. The most interesting development this summer has been the Utd signings which have demonstrated that you don't even need to have European football to sign anybody, just PL football and the profile.

I've travelled a lot and know that our profile is not good abroad, we are only known as the club that had Klinsmann, Davids, Berbs, Bale and VdV. We need to take positive steps to improve our international profile thus yielding more fans, tv fans and therefore players into the medium term.

1. Attacking and entertaining football.
2. One world class attacking player at all times. This player will define us internationally.
3. Greater access to the club through TV and media. The more open and natural we are the more fans we will find.

And a gigantic pile of money.

And the promise of a return to CL football within a year no doubt. UTD are just doing what Emirates Marketing Project did, buying top players on massive wage packets with the players knowing that they are one of a number of quality players. Remember even average players like Cleverly were on more per week than most of our players

I think Poch will reassess in January based on how well we are doing and how well we could potentially do for the remaining 4 months.

I do think we will go for Moreno in January as well as Rodriguez.

All of that is all well and good but it all comes down to success on the field;
Plus remember that we have built a state of the art training ground and set of facilities.

Our support in the Far East in 2011/11 went up tenfold during our CL run, and especially Bale's amazing hat-trick vs Inter.
Success and being involved in exciting games in the latter stages of the EL will probably have a similar (though granted not the same) effect.

Failing going down the other route (i.e. financial doping a la Chelski and Emirates Marketing Project) the other way we can grow our profile is steady and consistent success on the field (a EL win in exciting circumstances would be a good start...)

So as we were then...

I am suggesting things which will improve our profile and thus draw toward top players is stronger success on the pitch is important but not the only factor. The training facilities are good but are still not considered the best - which they need to be.

It is a myth that the champions league is the most viewed live matches in many countries, particularly in the Far East.

It's all about kick off times, in Asia the champions league kicks off at 2-4 am. Nobody is going to stay up and watch that (I've tried but it kills you for work), whereas the PL is an evening kick off on Saturday.

In the US, the champions league is an afternoon kick off on a Tuesday/Wednesday. A morning kick off for the PL on the weekend.

I believe that a major success of the EPL abroad over the other club competitions has been down to this.

Back