• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Anything you can do I can do too... how Bale turned into the new Ronaldo with the full range of free kicks, speed and danger
By SIMON CASS

Much more of this and Jose Mourinho will surely be next to heap praise on Spurs superstar Gareth Bale.

After all, Harry Redknapp, Alan Pardew and now Andre-Villas Boas have all waxed lyrical about the Welsh wizard and his claims to be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi.

Irrespective of whether ‘The Special One’ stays at Real Madrid, the powers that be at the Bernabeu will surely be making a play for 23-year-old Bale come the summer as with each match winning performance the similarities with Ronaldo, 28, become more difficult to ignore.

In the dying moments of Real’s Champions League encounter with Manchester United, Ronaldo, having already get his side back on terms with a superb header, lined up a 40-yard free-kick.

Most would have stuck in the mixer, but not Ronaldo. The now customary top-spin effort was dispatched with venomous power, the ball narrowly whizzing over the bar and scraping the top netting to leave Real fans agonising over how close their hero had come to once again single-handedly earning them a vital win.

Fast forward 24-hours and there was no such agony at White Hart Lane – just ask Steffen Freund who sparked ugly clashes between the benches of Spurs and Lyon with his ecstatic celebration of Bale’s wonderful late winner.

The similarities in style between Ronaldo and Bale when it comes to dead-ball striking are there for all to see. From the look of intense concentration etched up their faces to the carefully measured retreat and purposeful run-up, the similarities are remarkable.

The same applies to the duo’s ability to lash the ball with such force and yet generate such dip to leave goalkeepers with no chance – an ability which would leave physicist Brian Cox struggling to come up with a formula to explain it.

Bale’s Europa League brace bordered on a case of anything you can do I can do better with regard to Ronaldo.
And there is little argument that his contribution to the Tottenham case is every bit as vital, if not more so, than that of Ronaldo to Real.

Bale has now scored all six of Tottenham’s goals in their last their last four games, for Ronaldo it seven of Real’s 10 goals in their previous four outings.

And while Bale is lagging well behind Ronaldo when it comes to total goals for club and country so far this season, 21 compared to 34, there is certainly an argument to be made that his contribution to Spurs is just as vital as that of his illustrious counterpart to Real.

Tottenham manager Villas-Boas was somewhat cryptic when ask to compare Bale with Ronaldo.
‘He is going through a great individual moment,’ said the Spurs boss. "I think you have to recognise that. He is scoring lots of goals for the team and I think this is his best goalscoring season for Tottenham.

‘You can see the player is enjoying his football and getting a buzz out of it. Once things like this happen, individual players keep their motivation high and they are able to help the team reach their objectives.’

Unfortunately for Spurs, Bale’s ultimate objective may well be to play for a side of the size of Real next season.

And while there seems every prospect of Bale and Ronaldo continuing their tit-for-tat brilliance for the remainder of the campaign, the chance to draw a real comparison between the pair when they are playing in the same side may not be too far away.

brilliant

Wonder where Utd or Liverpool would be without goals from RVP and Suarez!

Or where Barca would be without the goals of Messi. Stats like the Bale one posted are hugely deceiving, they don't necessarily demonstrate a one man team but in most cases point to the fact that teams play to their strengths.

There really shouldn't even need to be any dicussion as you how pointless a statistic such as Spurs would be mid table without Bale etc etc really is. It is an unbelievably stupid way of looking at it in pretty much every possible aspect, and if people were to think it was a valid argument in any shape or form then it scares the brick out of me how stupid people can be. And I think the same thing when people say the same thing about RVP and other such players, it's laughable.

There really shouldn't even need to be any dicussion as you how pointless a statistic such as Spurs would be mid table without Bale etc etc really is. It is an unbelievably stupid way of looking at it in pretty much every possible aspect, and if people were to think it was a valid argument in any shape or form then it scares the brick out of me how stupid people can be. And I think the same thing when people say the same thing about RVP and other such players, it's laughable.

Let's take out all the other players instead and let Bale play on his own. If we really were a one-man team we'd still win.

Bale seems to be having his breakout season, the one he has promised to have for since the Inter games.

Think people should stop bitching/speculating/comparing/etc. and enjoy watching him play for us, whatever happens in the future is just that. Right now, what is probably the best left sided player in the world is playing for Tottenham Hotspur!

And Spurs fans in general need to stop and appreciate the quality we have had in the last 5-7 years, Berbatov, Modric, VDV and Bale .... I remember the 90's and early 00's

Reading around a few forums...Redcafe/rawk etc..there are some seriously pathetic comments regarding Bale and you can tell it stems from pure jealousy. Cringe

this is a great pic of the last minute winner

article-2279265-17968B4C000005DC-383_636x374.jpg

it just shows how difficult it was for the keeper. Look how high the wall jumps and yet Bale manages to get the ball over it, whilst at the same time the keeper would have seen the ball very late and with the swerve and dip he on the ball he had a very difficult job in trying to save the shot

I love all the comments on the BBC thread about Wenger saying about Walcott and Bale...

The gooners genuinely think they have the better player, brilliant

The comparison I prefer is this. Top teams have the top players, but it's only those with prodigious talents that raise the overall performance of the team to another level.

Barcelona have Messi, Real Madrid Ronaldo, Man Utd Van Pirie and Tottenham Bale.

To be honest, I don't think all Gooners think Walcott is better, actually the opposite, all the Arsenal fans I know, start off jokingly say Walcott is better, but in the end agree Bale is better, due to his overall game and his ability to score something from nothing. I think the Arsenal fans do it on purpose for spurs fans to bite back, just don't, everyone knows we have the better player... That being said, Walcott isn't at all a bad player, Bale's just ahead at the moment

Let's think about this. When did Bale suddenly start turning it on? What changed?

Lewis Holtby came on as a sub.

Bale + Lewis = Jizz time for Spurs fans

To be honest, I don't think all Gooners think Walcott is better, actually the opposite, all the Arsenal fans I know, start off jokingly say Walcott is better, but in the end agree Bale is better, due to his overall game and his ability to score something from nothing. I think the Arsenal fans do it on purpose for spurs fans to bite back, just don't, everyone knows we have the better player... That being said, Walcott isn't at all a bad player, Bale's just ahead at the moment

Mate, Walcott is never going to be what people making him out to be, he has good games when the Scum have good games (they are a bit better than us with spanking opponents), and his pace will let him be the option they use to counter.

Bale has everything Walcott has, plus the ability to win the game when the rest of the team is brick, do you hear people say the Scum are a one man team when Walcott scores?

The last couple of games shows Bale closer to RVP, team has distinctly mediocre or brick game, but Bale steps up and gets the 3 points.

Let's think about this. When did Bale suddenly start turning it on? What changed?

Lewis seems to be the first one to run over to Bale to celebrate. It almost looked like he was going to take Bale into the stands after the winner yesterday. Gotta love that enthusiasm.

Since he missed that sitter with his right against Saudi Sportswashing Machine I've heard and read people saying he has everything except for a right foot ... but his first five goals this season were with his right!

And when did he become so good at free kicks all of a sudden? He's scored about 5 this season already.

To answer your question, I'd say since he returned from his injury after the Fulham game. He destroyed Villa, played great at Sunderland and that form has continued into the new year and actually improved!

Mate, Walcott is never going to be what people making him out to be, he has good games when the Scum have good games (they are a bit better than us with spanking opponents), and his pace will let him be the option they use to counter.

Bale has everything Walcott has, plus the ability to win the game when the rest of the team is brick, do you hear people say the Scum are a one man team when Walcott scores?

The last couple of games shows Bale closer to RVP, team has distinctly mediocre or brick game, but Bale steps up and gets the 3 points.

Also, is Walcott a threat from set pieces?

Is he anywhere near as good in the air as Bale?

Can he score from long range like Bale can?

Have Real Madrid or Barca ever been linked with him?

There is no doubt Walcott is a great finisher though. I don't rate his overall play, but there's no doubt the guy can finish.

Damn, and all of those beauties in the course of two weeks' time. A real visible turning point for me was when he didn't go down under the tackle before the Norwich goal and instead kept his feet and kept going to goal. I noticed it immediately and it really seemed to indicate a more confident and stronger player, both mentally and physically.

Back