• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

A 1yr extension is more of a hands off than anything, it cuts the gossip off for the summer. He can keep signing contract extensions every season for all I care, great news.

this

well done Gareth =D>, now go and get 20 goals and 20 assists next season

he wont get 20 goals if he stays out wide on the left and he wont get 20 assists if we dont ave a front man good enough to move and convert

right now the great thing we've done is secure a supremely talented player. our left side or whereever he will play under the new regime is sorted

Great news. I like his comments too - remember he doesn't have to say those things. Essentially just securing him for at least one more season, but if we can get back into the CL then anything is possible...

he wont get 20 goals if he stays out wide on the left and he wont get 20 assists if we dont ave a front man good enough to move and convert

right now the great thing we've done is secure a supremely talented player. our left side or whereever he will play under the new regime is sorted

im guessing but i do think Bale has been told AVB will be the new boss and AVB himself has probably contacted Bale and outlined where he intends to play him and the plans are music to Bale's big ears. IMO Bale will play a Hulk type free role in the front 3 of a 4-3-3, exactly what Bale wants

cant wait to see anyway

What a great display of loyalty, well timed and well received.....you'll do for us Mr Bale, it'll be tough to replace the style and contribution of Modric if he goes but not impossible, we are not far away, let's get the business done with Vertonghen to cap a better week and secure the strikers, another creative midfielder and future keeper we need................a manager might be a nice addition too

What a great display of loyalty, well timed and well received.....you'll do for us Mr Bale, it'll be tough to replace the style and contribution of Modric if he goes but not impossible, we are not far away, let's get the business done with Vertonghen to cap a better week and secure the strikers, another creative midfielder and future keeper we need................a manager might be a nice addition too

Blimey, don't want much do you?? How about a cheeky bid for Messi while we're at it!!

would just like to mention that a significant amount of people crucified harry for playing bale on the right and at left back...would be interesting to see the reaction if AVB does it or whoevere we get

I would be livid.

Bale doesn't have a right foot and would cut inside EVERY time.

I don't mind him swapping sides or playing as a false forward occasionally but he is best on that left touchline beating his man and knocking balls in.

I would be livid.

Bale doesn't have a right foot and would cut inside EVERY time.

I don't mind him swapping sides or playing as a false forward occasionally but he is best on that left touchline beating his man and knocking balls in.

If Your first choice plan isn't working, then go onto a plan B. Makes sense. What we appeared to be doing was starting on plan B and never actually trying plan A.

So with AVB coming on board and Bale set for atleast one more year for certain, will we see Bale played as a LB in a 4-3-3 or will he simply move forward a bit to the left wide player in the front 3? Heck he could even move to the right side of the front 3 too. He seemed to play well in this role for Wales for a few games if i remember correctly.

whats the consensus on this?

I think he could be our Hulk. I think he has every attribute for it. Playing on the right at the top of the 4-3-3. Cutting in, skinning his man, rifling shots home. It's a lot different from being on the right of a 4-4-1-1 because he will be the outlet rather than trying to provide for one.

That said he could also be the guy maintaining the width on the left of the 4-3-3 too. I wouldn't drop him back to left back now.

I think he could be our Hulk. I think he has every attribute for it. Playing on the right at the top of the 4-3-3. Cutting in, skinning his man, rifling shots home. It's a lot different from being on the right of a 4-4-1-1 because he will be the outlet rather than trying to provide for one.

That said he could also be the guy maintaining the width on the left of the 4-3-3 too. I wouldn't drop him back to left back now.

thing is, with the right players (and the right tactics/system) he might actually get MORE room to roar from a deep position than an advanced one! the chances of teams detailing two men on him at left-back is highly improbably, and if others in the side are doing their jobs/moving properly, he gets to carry the ball from deep far more often. the unfortunate player here would be benny, who i love and who is IMHO a fine left-back, but we shall see, because there is no doubt that bale coming from deep would be quite something to deal with...

im guessing but i do think Bale has been told AVB will be the new boss and AVB himself has probably contacted Bale and outlined where he intends to play him and the plans are music to Bale's big ears. IMO Bale will play a Hulk type free role in the front 3 of a 4-3-3, exactly what Bale wants

cant wait to see anyway

what drifting in field like everyone was criticising him for in our dodgy spell last season?

thing is, with the right players (and the right tactics/system) he might actually get MORE room to roar from a deep position than an advanced one! the chances of teams detailing two men on him at left-back is highly improbably, and if others in the side are doing their jobs/moving properly, he gets to carry the ball from deep far more often. the unfortunate player here would be benny, who i love and who is IMHO a fine left-back, but we shall see, because there is no doubt that bale coming from deep would be quite something to deal with...

I agree

While I dont disagree (made the same argument many times before in the face of "it would be madness to put him LB") I also think in a slightly different shaped and more structured attack he could flourish.

If he played in an AVB style 433 the wing forwards are probably the most important and influential players.

They start in wider positions and its the midfields role to find them with the ball in space as much as possible - suits Bale

They are free to cut in and go at goal (safe in the knowledge the full back will overlap maintaining the essential width) - suits Bale

They have a responsibility to score - suits Bale

IMO, if in the final 3rd he is consistently found in space and given support he could have a Ronaldo like season with goals every other game...

what drifting in field like everyone was criticising him for in our dodgy spell last season?

IMO drifting infield is perfectly acceptable when the team and tactics are set up to accomodate the action.

Its not when the player drifts in and all it achieves is condensing play into a 20 yard area and effectively stops any cohesive attacking play...

IMO drifting infield is perfectly acceptable when the team and tactics are set up to accomodate the action.

Its not when the player drifts in and all it achieves is condensing play into a 20 yard area and effectively stops any cohesive attacking play...

Agreed.

If he's on the right of a 4-4-1-1, or even just wandering after starting on the left, he's basically just roaming into Modric or Parker's position, and isn't actually adding much else. I suppose the idea was maybe to get a bit if tiki-taka going with our players all close to each other and playing in tight spaces, but it totally wasn't what Bale is good at. It was completely un-Redknapp, playing a player out of position and not playing to his strengths.

I agree that he would be dangerous coming from left back, although I would argue it's also hard to get the ball to a left back more often than not, and considering Bale will be one of our most dangerous players, we'd want him on the ball as much as possible. On the left of a 4-4-1-1 he can stick to his wing but it's easier to man mark him out of the game because everyone knows what he is going to do.

In one of the wing forward positions, he could be absolutely devastating. If he cuts inside from the right, or even starts on the left, he won't be congesting the play like he was last season. It would actually be his job to cut inside and provide a goal threat. It's harder to double mark him because the opposition would just be leaving massive gaps for Walker bursting forward, Siggy or Rafa coming from midfield or Ade in the box. He's a great finisher, I can see him roasting his full back either from the left or the right, either getting to the byline or cutting in to score. He's good in the air, and he will be the outlet. He will have so much space to exploit because he is higher up the pitch, but if they choose to crowd Bale out, the rest of our team will have a similar amount of space.

He really could be scary, and this new contract could be the most important signing of the summer.

would just like to mention that a significant amount of people crucified harry for playing bale on the right and at left back...would be interesting to see the reaction if AVB does it or whoevere we get

If AVB plays Bale at left back I will crucify him! I thought that bs was over!

The crazy thing is some of our fans don't think it's a bad idea!!!!

It really is mental isn't it! So much evidence from early in his career that he is not a natural defender and lacks the defensive ability to be a full back, and so much evidence that he is so incredibly effective as a left winger and yet some crazy fools still think about putting him at fullback, despite all the evidence to the contrary! It's like successive England managers who despite seeming to have footballing knowledge and nous galore persisted with trying to fit lampard abd Gerard in central midfield...never gonna work! STFU you Bale left back mentalists!!!

To be fair playing bale at left back makes about as much sense as saying hey our Gomes has a similar name to germaby's star striker Gomez ! And Gomes also started out as a striker! fudge it it's fate, let's sack off our striker crisis and play Gomes up front, problem solved!

Back