• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Many athletes in different sports start their careers modeling their style, type of play, etc. on a current or recent World Class player.

Cristiano Ronaldo is a brilliant player that gets a lot less credit that he should because people have personal issues with him (Maradona was a c%nt, doesn't stop me from admitting he was one of the greats), along with the Barca/Messi love/tossfest that never seems to end.

Bale is a different player than Ronaldo, but if he improves his game by modeling some of it off CR, and has a season or two with us of Ronaldo type performances, why let it bother you?

I was actually referring to Messi (in jest)!

I said that is where I thought he would play if he joined Barca (when there was speculation linking him with them). You can't argue with his form in a free role, something that I remember you being against him playing.

Spot on I was. When it clearly wasn't working a few months back. However, at the risk of being pedantic, Barcelona may have been mentioned in another thread but I remember you saying you'd like to see him at LB behind another pacey left winger.

All irrelevant now though and I think AVB has it spot on as we speak.

Spot on I was. When it clearly wasn't working a few months back. However, at the risk of being pedantic, Barcelona may have been mentioned in another thread but I remember you saying you'd like to see him at LB behind another pacey left winger.

All irrelevant now though and I think AVB has it spot on as we speak.

I'd like to see Cristiano played at left back

Is it just me who get's a bitter sweet feeling everytime Bale scores?

Sweet because he's just amazing and really helping us out this season, really stepped up ever since Defoe got injured.

But bitter because with his form like this there's not one single team in the world right now who he wouldn't walk in too.... it's got me so concerned that he's going to leave. Especially with the media really cumming all over him at the moment. Just like with Carrick. Just like with Berbatov. Just like with Modric. When ever one of our players starts putting in performances like this the media always come out trying to turn their heads.

If he does leave I just hope we don't accept anything less than £70m. If he's this good at 23 one can only imagine how great he'll be at 29.

Sweet because he's just amazing and really helping us out this season, really stepped up ever since Defoe got injured.

But bitter because with his form like this there's not one single team in the world right now who he wouldn't walk in too.... it's got me so concerned that he's going to leave. Especially with the media really cumming all over him at the moment. Just like with Carrick. Just like with Berbatov. Just like with Modric. When ever one of our players starts putting in performances like this the media always come out trying to turn their heads.

If he does leave I just hope we don't accept anything less than £70m. If he's this good at 23 one can only imagine how great he'll be at 29.
Just watch him celebrate. Enjoy it man. We know it won't last forever, we are very lucky to see him week in week out

Just watch him celebrate. Enjoy it man. We know it won't last forever, we are very lucky to see him week in week out

True and indeed I should do. But it's kind of seeing a sexy girlfriend being eyed up by everyone and then taken away from you!

I am really enjoying watching him play though. I'm 19 and remember when we were finishing 10th-12th every season watching players like Sean Davis, Simon Davies and of course the all mighty ginger pele that is Gary Doherty and dreaming of having just one world class player and now we've got ourselves one. :lol:

I know what you mean Craig. I wouldn't sell him for any money because I know we would not use that money to go and buy a top striker because we won't pay the wages. Not moaning, that's just the way we run our club.

There's possibly 4 or 5 clubs in world football that can keep hold of their best players, but even United sold Ronaldo. I still don't believe Fergie would have sold him if Ronaldo had wanted to stay.

If we do make CL Levy has to strengthen the team, no excuses. If we strengthen our team with quality Bale would actually believe he has a serious chance of winning stuff with us. Maybe 2 quality strikers would help, or at the very least one outstanding striker and another who looks like he has a lot of potential

If any player can score I'd usually want it to be Lennon, I don't really have a reason for it, I just do. But now I actually want Bale to just score every goal.

If we do make CL Levy has to strengthen the team, no excuses. If we strengthen our team with quality Bale would actually believe he has a serious chance of winning stuff with us. Maybe 2 quality strikers would help, or at the very least one outstanding striker and another who looks like he has a lot of potential

Yup, this could prove to be very instrumental in Levy actually loosening his wallet! We should have signed a top striker before but now, with Bale's future at stake, hopefully Levy realises that with the right investment we can push to challenge for a place in the top 2 and so does all that he can to give us the best chance to reach the next level for our sake, Bale's sake and the two combined.

Yup, this could prove to be very instrumental in Levy actually loosening his wallet! We should have signed a top striker before but now, with Bale's future at stake, hopefully Levy realises that with the right investment we can push to challenge for a place in the top 2 and so does all that he can to give us the best chance to reach the next level for our sake, Bale's sake and the two combined.

never gonna happen. If we havent got the money, he wont spend.

If anything, the way Bale is scoring and threatening id say we already have a world class forward.;)

Who the fudge is Tello?
Admittedly I don't watch Barca in the league, just their odd CL game and I don't think I've even heard of him?

He's a good, young player. Very fast, one of the fastest in the Barca team, he came through the Barca academy so he has their touch. Capable of beating a player, can shoot reasonably well. As far as young talent with potential goes, he's great.

But he's more like a younger Lennon with Barca ball control and passing, decent shooting from range and like Lennon when he was younger, he's happy to beat his man. He's more than capable of playing where he plays for Barca and knowing what he's doing tactically.

There is a very strong argument for him starting over Villa a lot of the time... Out of Pedro, Cuenca and Tello, Tello is the biggest game changer, but he's very young and it's the Barca academy that makes him unique in a world of young, fast, raw wingers... This guy is capable and if I had to pick 1 winger to play for us for 25 games next season out of Tello, Zaha, The Ox, etc, Tello would give consistent performances and probably fit the current way we play better than Lennon does.

But you can't compare him to Bale, just like you can't compare Tom Carroll to Modric.

You can compare Hazard to Bale because they've both shown what they're capable of. Tello is only 21, but to his credit he fits the Barca team well, doesn't look out of place and has dug them out of games.

Silly comparison though, Mata vs Hazard vs Silva vs Cazorla would be fair... Mata edges that this season... Bale in this form blows Hazard away, even though Hazard has done well in his first PL season.

Those fan views are insane though. If there seriously is a Sunderland fan that thinks Tello would be better for them than Bale, they deserve to be relegated. Maybe he's just a dumbass that confused Tello with Messi?

I know what you mean, I remember when I first started supporting Spurs we sold Waddle to Marseilles then a couple of seasons later Gazza almost single handedly took us to the FA Cup final only to be sold to Lazio that summer and so the cycle has continued... you kind of get used to it after a while!

Just have to hope that Bale will (like Gazza) win some silverware with Spurs and that Levy gets maximum value from the inevitable sale so that we can afford to purchase a couple more upcoming talents to enjoy whilst they are Lilywhites.

I might be allowing my optimism to spill over, but I firmly believe that if we get CL, keep Bale and give AVB the couple of signings he wants/needs, that we can challenge for the title next season.
I don't think that's over-cooking the omelette. I genuinely believe that with a top class striker to add to Defoe and Ade, plus one top class creative playmaker, we can challenge strongly.
I am allowing myself to hold out hope that Bale might yet help us to win our first ever Premiership title...

I might be allowing my optimism to spill over, but I firmly believe that if we get CL, keep Bale and give AVB the couple of signings he wants/needs, that we can challenge for the title next season.
I don't think that's over-cooking the omelette. I genuinely believe that with a top class striker to add to Defoe and Ade, plus one top class creative playmaker, we can challenge strongly.
I am allowing myself to hold out hope that Bale might yet help us to win our first ever Premiership title...

I pretty much agree with all of that.

Taking four points out of six off Manchester United this season has convinced me that we're not that far away from mounting a genuine title challenge next season.

It is a real privilege to have Bale playing for Spurs now. He has been in magnificent form this season. It is a joy watching him score and celebrate his goals. Hope we can keep him for a very long time like Hoddle.

With all big clubs being linked with him, it is important to put a right value on him. Surely, Bale should have had a similiar value as Modric last season. Since we asked for 40m for Modric and eventually settled for 32m, it is only right we valued Bale at 40m before the start of this season. Since then, Bale has been having his best ever season for us. So, his value now should be 30-40m more than his value was before the season. Levy is not a good businessman if he doesn't value Bale at 70-80m now. Hopefully, that will scare off most clubs !

Last edited:

The really important thing to remember, especially with Emirates Marketing Project around, is to see what other clubs do in the summer too.

If every other club had their transfers frozen, then I'd totally be with you, but City having a disaster by their standards might mean they go out and get Mourinho then give him 200m to build a team and give him any money he makes from player sales too. Mourinho is very very very capable of building a title winning team like that, even though his 2nd seasons are usually the dangerous ones.

The thing that might count against us would be our squad size compared to other club squad sizes. With the CL games and league games, it might be hard to rotate players as much as the rest... United tend to get weak CL groups too, so they can even rest players for 2+ games in Europe if that's the case.

That said, with injuries, you never know what can happen. If United miss key players due to injury, they might have their title hopes dented, if Bale gets injured for us, our title hopes would be destroyed.

But it'd be awesome to challenge. We were in the mix last year for so long that it doesn't seem like challenging is a dream. (But last year we didn't have all our best players playing in the EL every game.)

-------

Getting back to Bale, the huge thing for me is that both the club and the player take advantage of his current form to get the best deals possible. Not transfer fees, his sponsorship deals and everything else and for us, shirt sponsorship and the like.

As long as Bale is in the PL, his agents should be selling the opportunity to advertise products on arguably the best PL player. Messi and Ronaldo get fudging insane sponsorship deals, if Bale stays with us and accepts we can't pay ridiculous wages, I hope for his sake that he gets paid very well by other sources.

For us, seeing Sunderland's deal with Invest in Africa is crazy.... If we can use Bale as a hook for commercial deals, if we can use CL football as a hook for commercial deals and if we can point to the exposure Bale is giving his and the club's current sponsors, we should be able to get a monster deal.

Plus, if we get into the top 4 and Arsenal don't, sponsors should look around. United - you have to pay them fudging tons to sponsor them, they get amazing deals all the time... City - Arab sponsorship means they can get huge sums in commercial deals if they want. Chelsea - I think they've signed a huge deal with a Russian company recently. Spurs - This one has to look appealing. Plus, Bale is putting us all over the media in a good way. We're not a crazy toxic club that has players that kick ballboys, other players that get headlines for all the wrong reasons.... We're not the established high demanding club Man United are when it comes to sponsors...

Bale can carry us on the pitch and off the pitch.

Apparently Bale is only the 5th player in PL history to have scored in 4 consecutive games. That seems a rather low amount.

Back