• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: ARTICLE: Bale, AVB, Formation... Why he should stay

Agree - great article. On the comments section there was an interesting view about the transition from the way we were playing under Harry in the Champions League run, i.e. a 442 on the counterattack with a deep defensive line, compared to the current formation and high pressing line. Bale was of course hugely effective that season in that role, where we broke so rapidly against teams that were themselves playing with a high line, like Inter in those two games. Part of that was the element of surprise. But as teams have worked out that they can negate that by handing us possession where it's far more difficult to break down opposition, the evolution under the AVB has taken time, but is now bearing fruits as this Guardian article describes. I guess the ultimate would be for the team to effectively transition between the two depending on the opposition, the situation, or even during a game, and I imagine that's what AVB is working towards...

He was working on this early doors, but there was an inherent lack of patience and fear in some of our supporters. The key was always whether the players would buy into it and he took care of that with some ease. I wonder now if those who cried for VdV can accept that this side has no room for a player who only ever plays 60 minutes maximum...

He was working on this early doors, but there was an inherent lack of patience and fear in some of our supporters. The key was always whether the players would buy into it and he took care of that with some ease. I wonder now if those who cried for VdV can accept that this side has no room for a player who only ever plays 60 minutes maximum...

Plus with VdV Bale could not be THE MAN. Also, probably with Modders too. Without them he is the focal point for our attacks and he's done very well so far...

Plus with VdV Bale could not be THE MAN. Also, probably with Modders too. Without them he is the focal point for our attacks and he's done very well so far...

Well Modders would've seen Dembele marginalized, and it's arguable now that Sandro and Dembele is the best central partnership we could have! Incredible.
AVB has done a masterful job managing this squad, here's hoping he gets who he wants in the summer...

Re: Gareth Bale

If Levy doesn't get his chequebook out in the summer and buy at least one striker who is better than we have got already, then I really wouldn't blame Bale for wanting to leave. If the club don't show ambition this summer, why should Bale stay?

I think that Bale's form and effectiveness away from the left touchline last season needs to be looked at in two halves. In the first half of the season when we played

Adebayor

Bale VdV Lennon

Modric Parker

he played some excellent football and was effective whilst drifting. The interplay between that front four was as good as I have seen from a Spurs team. In the second half of the season his form dropped and went to pieces when Lennon was out. We lacked balance during this period and Bale drifting to the centre made the pitch congested and us easy to mark out of the game.

That said, he is playing at a level above what he has ever managed before and has definitely improved this season (as has Lennon).

I think that Bale's form and effectiveness away from the left touchline last season needs to be looked at in two halves. In the first half of the season when we played

Adebayor

Bale VdV Lennon

Modric Parker

he played some excellent football and was effective whilst drifting. The interplay between that front four was as good as I have seen from a Spurs team. In the second half of the season his form dropped and went to pieces when Lennon was out. We lacked balance during this period and Bale drifting to the centre made the pitch congested and us easy to mark out of the game.

That said, he is playing at a level above what he has ever managed before and has definitely improved this season (as has Lennon).

Fair point, but this (dare I say it? Oh go on then!) is the difference between having a fully-focussed, let alone tactically-astute, manager versus...I'll stop...needless to say, all IMO and certainly no more than that.

If Levy doesn't get his chequebook out in the summer and buy at least one striker who is better than we have got already, then I really wouldn't blame Bale for wanting to leave. If the club don't show ambition this summer, why should Bale stay?

We've got a £50M striker.

tumblr_misrxzGrNM1rcssfvo1_500.png

I don't see what the fuss is about. Doesn't everyone hug their boss like this?

Here we go. More of this guff:

Who's who of European football on the trail of in-demand Gareth Bale

David Conn
The Guardian, Tuesday 26 February 2013 20.37 GMT

One of the few certain points in the swirl of speculation about where Gareth Bale's once-in-a-generation form will take him when his extraordinary playing feats have concluded for this season is that Tottenham Hotspur will hope to keep the 23-year-old Welshman. With Bale expressing himself only through thrilling bursts of speed and last-minute thunderbolts, and his management company, Stellar, not commenting either, the surrounding consensus from scraps of clues is that Real Madrid will try to sign Bale this summer – and he will seize the opportunity.

Always anchoring that prediction are the comments Bale made to the Spanish newspaper AS just before Spurs played the Champions League quarter-final against Real Madrid at the Bernabéu in April 2011, saying of a move abroad: "You never know, but I'm not afraid to leave the country. If a great opportunity arises, you need to seriously consider it. I left home at 15 [to join the Southampton academy]. If I leave the Premier League I'll learn another language, I'll know other people, another country. I will grow as a person."

That has been taken by many since as a signal from Bale that he would relish a move to Real. His then manager, Harry Redknapp, mused that Spurs would have to be paid "an amazing figure" to reluctantly sell their star asset.

Besides the glamour and heritage drawing players to Madrid, Real are also one of the few European clubs who could afford to pay the amazing figure Daniel Levy, Spurs' chairman, would demand, and the wages Bale would command. Real are Europe's richest club, their income of €514m (£443.5m) in 2011‑12 exceeding Barcelona's by €19m, and that of Manchester United, the Premier League's relentless earning machine, by a full €118m.

Redknapp suggested it would take a fee such as the £80m Real Madrid paid for Cristiano Ronaldo to unlock Levy's determination, and Real are still thought the club likeliest to indulge in galactic spending with Uefa's financial fair play rules coming into force. Barcelona made a record €49m profit last year but still had substantial debts, €334m, almost triple those of Real, who owed €125m.

The Bundesliga club Bayern Munich, a burgeoning European force, recorded an €11m profit in 2011-12 on a booming €373m turnover, and are expected to support their new coach, Pep Guardiola, seriously in the transfer market, but extravagance on a Bale scale is not generally expected.

The Premier League clubs with significantly higher income than Spurs – United, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and even Arsenal – may fancy grasping Bale for themselves, and all could conceivably juggle their resources to balance the books presentably.

Spurs' Levy, though, would balk more at ceding a player to a Premier League rival than to a choice club overseas. It is part of his determined building of Spurs, while they still lack the new stadium planned to make more cash from fans and bridge the financial gap, that he insists adamantly his is not a selling club.

Spurs point to particular circumstances for the headline players who have moved in recent years: that Michael Carrick wanted to move north and declined a new contract, Dimitar Berbatov was approaching a legal right to buy himself out of his contract, Luka Modric was persuaded to stay another year but ultimately wanted to go.

In each case Levy was a grudging seller, wanting to establish Spurs as a club who keep their top players, and he wrought huge fees, £18.6m for Carrick in 2006, £31m for Berbatov in 2008 from Manchester United, and around £30m for Modric from Real Madrid last summer, having refused to sell the Croat to Chelsea a year earlier.

Bale and his advisers, who will have the likely luxury of grand options in the summer, will point to uncertainties now, including over who will be managing Real Madrid, and say no decisions are being made yet.

In this form and with the Premier League's likely £5.5bn 2013-2016 television deals beginning in August, Levy is expected to offer Bale improved terms, even though the player's current contract already runs to 2016.

Whether Bale decides to accept that option, and stay where he is settled and flourishing, partly depends on whether, with his extravagant gifts, Spurs qualify for the Champions League next season. Their manager, André Villas-Boas, acknowledged that earlier this month, when he said of keeping the Welshman: "If we reach our objectives [of qualifying for the Champions League] we can hopefully continue to have Gareth in our club."

That is one settled aspect of the Bale discussion. When playing as well as any footballer in Europe, he does not want to be excluded from the greatest European club competition. If Spurs do qualify the betting, still, is that he will push to leave.

For now, though, not much is certain about the player's future, other than a football soaring at improbable speed from Bale's left boot into the corner of West Ham's net on Monday evening, and Europe's top clubs watching covetously.

Possible destinations

Manchester United Sir Alex Ferguson made an offer to Southampton but Gareth Bale joined Spurs. He could follow compatriot Ryan Giggs at Old Trafford

Emirates Marketing Project City are one of a few clubs in danger of failing to comply with financial fair play. They are likely to focus their targets elsewhere this summer

Arsenal The Gunners' half-year accounts show there is significant money to spend but a move for their fierce rivals' best player is unlikely

Real Madrid Favourites to sign Bale to join Cristiano Ronaldo, the player he has been compared with, or as his replacement. Set to be their No1 summer target

Barcelona Dani Alves has spoken of his wish to see Bale in a Barcelona shirt. Possible last-16 defeat to Milan may prompt a shake-up in squad

PSG Another club set to defy FFP, they have spent more than £200m in transfer fees in the past two years and would not balk at Spurs' demands for Bale

Bayern Munich There have been reports in Germany claiming Bale will be Pep Guardiola's first signing. Bayern have the finances in place for the deal

Internazionale Long linked with a move for Bale, Massimo Moratti's club may now lack the financial clout and on-field success to attract the Welshman

Here we go. More of this guff:

Might as well just get used to it. It's a cheap article to write, or a cheap radio/tv segment to make. Get some hits, get some comments from angry Spurs fans and hopeful scum fans to drive some more traffic. Make a penny. No actual journalism required.

It will keep happening. Take it as a compliment to Bale. It won't affect him, the club, Levy, buying clubs or the results of the eurovision...

you expect better from David Conn, funny that he didn't point out which club of those mentioned is on the soundest footing regarding FFP

I think the difference between his roaming this season and last is that he's been more direct when moving centrally this season, and thats been enabled by us being more compact. In recent games he's been picking up the ball in positions where he really only needs 2, occasionally three, touches before he's in a position to shoot. Once he's there, his shooting has now reached a level where its not unreasonable to encourage him to keep doing so. Villas-Boas said after the West Ham game that one of the major differences is that he now considers him a striker, or that he's encouraging him to think of himself as a striker.

Has it effected Adebayor or Defoe's form?

This is where I think AVB's comments are more enlightening. I'm sure we've all noticed, and probably criticised, how many long shots we've been taking this season. Yes, VDV took alot of long shots, but I never felt as if the team or players were being encouraged to view this as a reliable way of trying to score goals last season; I think the opposite is true now. Bale is currently doing what Defoe had been doing up until his injury: collect the ball, drive to the position just in front of the defence and let off a shot. The difference is that Bale's shooting from range is more varied than Defoe's, more accurate and more threatening. I wondered whether this is actually an AVB thing...didnt Hulk do a similar job for him at Porto? So in terms of it affecting Defoes form - we'll see what happens when/if theyre back in the team together. Adebayor is slightly more strange, because while it can seem that Bale is making up for his poor form, it almost feels "deliberate"...he's involved [just] enough to justify selecting him, but he's arbritray enough for the Bale-shoot-on-site thing to work without putting anyone out. A comparison I'd use is the way Madrid played United recently; Benzema barely touched the ball, because Di Maria and Ronaldo were constantly getting the ball, taking a couple of touches and smashing it...no one was lambasting Benzema for his performance, they were talking about how dangerous Ronaldo was. Sure, you want to know that Ade is going to put away crosses in from the fullbacks or lennon, but our build-up play through the middle is now completely geared towards creating situations for Bale to prosper in; last season Modric and VDV provided more variety in the centre, but perhaps thats why Bale's drifting wasnt as effective.
Could this also be the reason for Dembele's driving runs being absent recently? Look at his goal against Lyon...it was a similar move to those that Bale has been doing lately, so perhaps AVB has considered that if Bale does that its more likely to result in a goal, so dembele is playing deeper/more conservatively to give him room to do this.

I think rather than thinking about chance creation in terms of quantity we should think about what kind of chances we want to create, and what a "chance" is defined as. As a whole this season we've created less "pure" chances [in the arsenal, or even liverpool, sense]. And i dont think that in the past 6 or 7 games we've created more "chances" than we were at the beginning of the season, when there was criticism....but Bale being 20 yards from goal with a couple of yards of space around him is essentially a good chance now, so the more we can create those situations the more goals both he and the team will score. It may not be particularly fluid, but if its getting the job done than we may as well maximise its potential until we can improve our "pure" chance creation. There's a far more pragmatic sense about us this season, and I think that can only be a good thing...its what keeps Man Utd in the top two even when theyre lacking in some departments.

Last edited:

you expect better from David Conn, funny that he didn't point out which club of those mentioned is on the soundest footing regarding FFP

The Guardian is really going downhill...the excellent Richard Williams and Kevin McCarra are no longer there, and the whole thing seems to have gone down a few notches...I agree. Conn was always a great investigator...now he's doing puff pieces like this.

WORLD exclusive in the Daily Star today

Bale to Madrid for £40m hahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Love it its a world exclusinve, seriously made me chuckle love the way they are passing themselves as serious journo's

I don't think we will be singing "he plays on the left...."'anymore...

If we have 10 players vs 10 players in the center and right areas of the pitch and no one at all on the left, we should be singing "one of you guys, go play on the left"...

The reason Bale not being on the left was sometimes a problem last season was a mixture of reasons, but it wasn't a case of no one believing he could do anything in the middle or on the right.

The problem was usually down to there simply not being anyone for us on the left, it was insane. We made the pitch smaller for the defending team, that was madness. Dempsey, Holtby, Siggy and other players generally make sure someone is on the left when Bale roams. Last season if Ade or BAE didn't go over there we would sometimes be doing the opposition's job for them and even BAE and Ade shouldn't be faced with having a wing for the majority of the match. BAE has to be a fullback first and Ade is a striker. Neither of those two are suited to covering for Bale as well as people that have been playing there this season.

Secondly, if Bale didn't get a touch of the ball, he'd still stand there in the middle of a crowd and not come over to the left and into space. This season, he does pick the ball up all over the pitch rather than just standing in a crowded area.

Thirdly, VDV played there, the gain in moving Bale to VDV's position wasn't as big as the loss from moving VDV to the left, so Bale wouldn't have been first choice in that position anyway... But even that doesn't fully describe the reason VDV had the team shaped around him. VDV's importance to us meant he had to play just off the striker to get the most effective performances from him. Modric on the left was a disaster at the end too. For a passer to influence games, taking out almost all options to his left wasn't great but add to that the way Modric was removed from the middle of the pitch where a ball to the right wouldn't have needed to be a beautiful cross field pass (which takes a while to get there)... Everything about that drove me crazy. Anyway, for our style of play to work, we needed Modric and VDV in the middle of the pitch. Bale roaming there meant that he brought way more defenders into the area (if the left is free, no need for defenders to cover it and Bale was a huge threat, so instead of 2 people being over there and a few extra being close enough to cover, everyone packed the area our playmakers were expected to pass through). We generally saw Bale in other people's space and our wing play was reduced to passing to whoever was on the right.

Our team set up in the previous few seasons can be oversimplified down to: Bale and Lennon are going to destroy teams on the wings or Modric and VDV are going to destroy them down the middle. If teams throw tons of men at our wingers, we'll just use Modric and VDV to pass through them... If they want to pack the middle of the pitch, we'll give the ball to Lennon and Bale to beat them on the wings.

I can totally understand experimentation if players are injured or whatever, but it takes time to convert a team to playing a different way, add to that Modric being our best player last season and the team being focused on him as well as Bale and it just wasn't going to work this well. That said, Bale did well last season, until he hit the point that he stopped scoring.

-------

TLDR: As long as someone is there, it's ok. (From both an offensive and defensive point of view.)

----------------

While we're on AVB and tactics:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ndre-Villas-Boass-footballing-philosophy.html

That is an old (as the title hints) article, but a very good article. I love the "many players can't understand the game" quote. Every football fan should be able to relate to that.

---------------

I wonder now if those who cried for VdV can accept that this side has no room for a player who only ever plays 60 minutes maximum...

Ozil. :p

I can totally accept that point. But VDV is a better passer than any of our current players, VDV scores a ton of goals, VDV was very good at knowing when we needed him deep and when he should effectively be a second striker. We're not the possession team we were, so the last point is not as important this season as last season... We don't need midfield dominance, we can just counter attack. (That said, VDV's passing would have been nice to help spring those counter attacks.) But his passing to unlock defences and his goals to make up for our lack of goals from number 9s at the moment would have been handy.

I don't think I quite come under "those that cried for VDV", but he was one of my favourite players, and I still wish we had someone with his particular set of skills. But you're not saying he wasn't good enough technically, I'm not saying he was the energizer bunny.

------------

Could this also be the reason for Dembele's driving runs being absent recently? Look at his goal against Lyon...it was a similar move to those that Bale has been doing lately, so perhaps AVB has considered that if Bale does that its more likely to result in a goal, so dembele is playing deeper/more conservatively to give him room to do this.

No, that is what is probably unfairly going to be called the "Scott Parker effect". If you watch Parker against West Ham he generally passed the ball and sprinted forward. That in itself is something I'd love to see from a bunch of players, however the problem with Parker doing that is that Dembele no longer has a DM behind him. When a player makes the conscious decision to move forward and engage an opposition player with the intention of dribbling past him, he must always be aware of what he is risking. If Dembele attempts to dribble past someone, loses the ball and sees a player running straight at our CBs, that situation would entirely be Dembele's fault.

Solid article and it does raise some good points about why he should stay, points that might not be raised all that often in the media between now and the close of the summer transfer window.

It's worth noting that his run to AVB and man-hug after the West Ham goal wasn't the first thing like that to happen.

After one of his right footed goals earlier in the season he went straight to one of the coaches when he was later subbed (iirc), pointing at his right foot and smiling. Made it to me look like that was something they had worked on specifically in training.

At his age I don't think there's any rush in going to a club like Madrid or Barca. He seems happy here, he's still learning and developing, seemingly improving month by month. He rightly gets most of the credit for that of course, but I think our coaches and management team deserves their praise as well.

Back