• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gambling

spursman17

Stephen Kelly
Anyone else becoming concerned about where this country is heading in aspect to the gambling culture the government are trying to push for?

Channel 5 after a certain time... roulette, same for other channels.

Now I have had a relative with a gambling addiction and let me tell you it was not nice for him or the family. He would spend his weeks wages with ease and accumalted debts on credit cards of excess of ?ú20k.

People are going to say that it is his fault and he shouldn't gamble if he can't control himself and to some extent I agree but until you see how a person can become so dependant on it I doubt you will truly understand.

He started off with ?ú1 bets on greyhounds or horseracing tricasts and ever since they brought those roulette machines into bookmakers (btw which are now their biggest earners) people become vunerable to losing far more money than they ever wished to risk.

It's a dirty game in my opinon and one that brings nothing but negativity to a persons life. These machines inparticular attract so many fresh faced 18 year olds who take their first step onto the ladder of a life of gambling.

Every time I pass a bookmakers 9 out of 10 times you can bet someone is playing one of these machines.

fudge the government for allowing it and also to the bookmakers for bringing in such devices on our high streets.

it was all very "conspiracy theory esqu" when labour took away the tax on winnings - but seems maybe it was just a push to create a new economic sector and maybe ultimately, retaxation, once you have a few generations that consider it part of everyday life rather than the old iamge of tobacco stained william hill's

The only winners are the bookies, can't see the attraction of it myself 8-[

Lost ?ú270 in said roulette machines today. Up ?ú365 on the week still though. Very dangerous. Too many ppl are reckless on them whereas I have a system. Doesn't work all the time obviously but I do very well from the machines.

I agree with the OP though too much advertising time is given to gamblng companies. So much for promoting responsible gambling huh??

I know a cab driver who is in debt to the tune of ?ú90k due to the roulette machines.

All UK gambling revenue will now be taxed as a result of the budget today.

Please expand danny boy i have missed most of it today due to family commitments.

I think the should be a tax on gambling and im a guy who does a bit on betfair, i would like to see this country go back to a more family focused society same reason im against the new sunday opening hours for shops.

Truely sick of the amount of coverage betting gets.
fudge Ray Winstone, That old Itailian c*nt and the brick 'a bit patchy' song for William Hill.

if you add all the numbers on a standard roulette wheel, 1+2+3+4 and so on till the final 36, the number you will attain is 666

:-k

Anyone else becoming concerned about where this country is heading in aspect to the gambling culture the government are trying to push for?

Channel 5 after a certain time... roulette, same for other channels.

Now I have had a relative with a gambling addiction and let me tell you it was not nice for him or the family. He would spend his weeks wages with ease and accumalted debts on credit cards of excess of ?ú20k.

People are going to say that it is his fault and he shouldn't gamble if he can't control himself and to some extent I agree but until you see how a person can become so dependant on it I doubt you will truly understand.

He started off with ?ú1 bets on greyhounds or horseracing tricasts and ever since they brought those roulette machines into bookmakers (btw which are now their biggest earners) people become vunerable to losing far more money than they ever wished to risk.

It's a dirty game in my opinon and one that brings nothing but negativity to a persons life. These machines inparticular attract so many fresh faced 18 year olds who take their first step onto the ladder of a life of gambling.

Every time I pass a bookmakers 9 out of 10 times you can bet someone is playing one of these machines.

fudge the government for allowing it and also to the bookmakers for bringing in such devices on our high streets.

Typical: blame the government for everything - anything to exonerate personal responsibility.

In life, you're always going to have extremes: people who think betting is some sort of sin, and then those who cannot control themselves so end up with thousands of pounds worth of debt from it. They're two ends of a spectrum. Personally, I don't really buy into the whole use of extremes to win any argument.

As for "brings nothing but negativity to a persons life" - I beg to differ. I've made a small fortune from gambling over the years, and it gave me the financial capability to invest in expensive training which has benefitted me and got me to where I am career-wise today. The difference, is that I have self-control and discipline - something which some who gamble lack. But that's a problem with the person - not the game.

End of the day, I'm not sure who you are to judge what people decide to do with their money? You say that "9 out of 10 times you can bet someone is playing one of these machines" - right, so what? Maybe those people are enjoying themselves, and have accepted that they have to pay for that pleasure? Who are you to judge that they shouldn't be allowed to do that?

It's easy to present the facade that gambling is a guaranteed route to debt and failure. It isn't. Over the years, I've come into contact with characters who, through gambling, became self-made millionaires and are living a lifestyle they would so otherwise never have been able to achieve. And far from being thick or stupid, they're actually some of the sharpest, most intelligent people I've met - one having a degree in nuclear physics from Oxford university.

There's also great craic and banter around those who gamble. Some of the funniest stories I've ever heard and drinking sessions I've ever had, are with those characters whom I refer to. Probably the rogue or eccentric element, but just hilarious to listen to, and a lot more interesting than some of the other mind-numbingly boring straight-laced mugs who I've come across in my time.

I gamble, I love it, I only bet what I can afford to lose end of..

I dont have to bet everyday, I bet when I want...

Exactly - that's the spirit!

If thick people end up in debt from gambling, you could bet (heh, heh) your bottom dollar that they'd of ended up in debt from something else - it's a personality trait. These people don't need appologists around them, they need honesty and a sense of self-responsiblity.

I'll never forget a legendary night I had a few summers back: mega leaving bonus from work so we all went out on the lash. Few boys from work to kick things off, then my betting pals showed up later on. We were licked off our faces and came up with the plan we'd all head on down to Laddies on the Strand and smash the evening BAGS. We did - walked out with ?ú10k cash between us, then trotted off down to Spearmints and Secrets and spunked the lot. Fell asleep in the toilet and had Brutus the Impaler scrape me up off the floor next morning and took me for a breakfast at a greasy spoon around the corner. fudging mental night.

Yes I despise it. Occasionally succumb to it. A very sad state of affairs. Especially consider where we are financially and socially. There should be far greater regualtion. It is just an industry of misery that has ruined most of the sports in the world through creating a market for corruption. It could be argued that it will always exist and by banning elements of it you destroy a massive tax funding industry and drive it underground but we are better off without. It prays on greed and sells false hope. People commit crime to fuel it in a variety of ways. It really should not be on our televisions fullstop.

ultimately it's up to the individual but i do have a problem with the way it is being advertised - personally i think there should be restrictions in place as with tobacco adverts

Me too. I also work in the industry.

Staff who work in a bookies are trained to stop signs of problem gambling and compaines contribute to Gamcare which helps with problem gambling

Exactly - that's the spirit!

If thick people end up in debt from gambling, you could bet (heh, heh) your bottom dollar that they'd of ended up in debt from something else - it's a personality trait. These people don't need appologists around them, they need honesty and a sense of self-responsiblity.

I'll never forget a legendary night I had a few summers back: mega leaving bonus from work so we all went out on the lash. Few boys from work to kick things off, then my betting pals showed up later on. We were licked off our faces and came up with the plan we'd all head on down to Laddies on the Strand and smash the evening BAGS. We did - walked out with ?ú10k cash between us, then trotted off down to Spearmints and Secrets and spunked the lot. Fell asleep in the toilet and had Brutus the Impaler scrape me up off the floor next morning and took me for a breakfast at a greasy spoon around the corner. fudging mental night.

Didn't you lose a very large tennis bet a while back and fail to pay up ?? 8-[

Its the responsibility of the individual to only go so far, its the same with booze, fags,drugs etc; There needs to be some personal responsibility for their addictions, to blame the government, media is passing the buck.

That's one of the problems with society today, no one wants to tale some responsibility for their actions, always someone else's fault.

Its the responsibility of the individual to only go so far, its the same with booze, fags,drugs etc; There needs to be some personal responsibility for their addictions, to blame the government, media is passing the buck.

That's one of the problems with society today, no one wants to tale some responsibility for their actions, always someone else's fault.

Totally agree with the last part about people not being able to take responsibility anymore. The other day i was cycling at 5pm it was daylight the were no street lights on perfectly clear day and a car with french plates pulled up aside me and the guy puts his head out and tells me im almost invisible, he was wearing glasses. People are so scared of making mistakes they are always on the look out for someone else to blame if they do fudge up.

I caught up with the guy at the next traffic light and his wing mirror is a little fudged. French prick.

Totally agree with the last part about people not being able to take responsibility anymore. The other day i was cycling at 5pm it was daylight the were no street lights on perfectly clear day and a car with french plates pulled up aside me and the guy puts his head out and tells me i'm almost invisible, he was wearing glasses. People are so scared of making mistakes they are always on the look out for someone else to blame if they do fudge up.

I caught up with the guy at the next traffic light and his wing mirror is a little fudged. French prick.

Its seems to be the norm nowadays to blame somebody or something for things that go wrong, lets face it we as football fans when we lose always blame bad luck or the Refs :ross:

Back