• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fryers > Rose

Zeki Fryers had a good game for Spurs against Dnipro the other night.

But I would still place Danny Rose ahead of him in the pecking order as things stand at the moment.

Ok then, so last night was only about the 2nd or 3rd full match I've seen of the Biblical Chippy, but I must say I really enjoyed watching the first game in ages where I've not been anxious that Rose is going to do something stupid at any moment.

I thought he looked mature, held his position well and was accomplished on the ball. I think he definitely did enough to earn the starting spot against Cardiff.

Also credit to Dawson, who I noticed was very active in talking him through the match.

Any thoughts on Fryers then and his position relative to Rose?

Great to hear. I assume that you are crediting Sherwood with his signing as he was signed for the development squad ;)

I have waited a long time for Rose to iron out the defensive inconsistencies/lack of discipline in his game, and he repeatedly fails to do it for me. Sadly I tab him for several very important goals this season, and for me he repeatedly makes the same mistakes, which either means he's uncontrolled,thick or not being coached properly. I'm not sure which it its. Fryers, at least, will do his primary job first, although I'd like to see if he could show signs of improvement with a run of games. Would absolutely love to be proven wrong by Rose BTW but personally, I think time is running out. Still, we'll see I suppose...

i want us to fix our defensive frailties first on the left. fryers to start please.
rose can come on when we are winning.

I think Rose gets a lot of unfair stick, it's his first season as a starting top level LB (Sunderland expectations are far reduced) and he's playing in a unit with a lot of PL rookies.

I'm happy with him being first choice, he reminds me a lot of walker a couple of years ago and he's now one of the best full backs in the league.

There is obviously a lot of promise to Fryers, hopefully he'll get opportunity to progress with us but he's a ways behind Rose still
IMO.

I think Rose gets a lot of unfair stick, it's his first season as a starting top level LB (Sunderland expectations are far reduced) and he's playing in a unit with a lot of PL rookies.

I'm happy with him being first choice, he reminds me a lot of walker a couple of years ago and he's now one of the best full backs in the league.

There is obviously a lot of promise to Fryers, hopefully he'll get opportunity to progress with us but he's a ways behind Rose still
IMO.

Agree totally. I really don't see why there's the negativity towards Rose but on this forum I guess its par for the course....

Agree totally. I really don't see why there's the negativity towards Rose but on this forum I guess its par for the course....

Because, everyone bitches about one player or the other (JD, Dawson, Soldado, Paulinho, Lennon, etc. come to mind), but in fact, despite our personal biases, we all know they are very good footballers, and certainly if not top 4 squad, certainly top 6.

Rose/Naughton are continuously the weak link in the side every time they play, and the mistakes, quality of their play in general makes me (and obviously a few others) question their ability to be a PL footballer, certainly don't see top 10 side.

I can see your point, and I certainly don't like having negative feelings towards a player, but he's really made one too many mistakes for me this season, I forgave him the Villa sending off a couple of years ago on the basis he'd learn from it, I was not convinced that he had despite a good show at Sunderland reportedly (I didn't watch them enough) and he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He's easy on the eye going forward but not productive enough to justify his defensive woes for me personally. if we're happy being top 5-8 then we can live with him, but if we want more we have to replace him IMO. My caveat, as always, is that I hope I am proven wrong, but as mentioned earlier, time is running out.

I can see your point, and I certainly don't like having negative feelings towards a player, but he's really made one too many mistakes for me this season, I forgave him the Villa sending off a couple of years ago on the basis he'd learn from it, I was not convinced that he had despite a good show at Sunderland reportedly (I didn't watch them enough) and he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He's easy on the eye going forward but not productive enough to justify his defensive woes for me personally. if we're happy being top 5-8 then we can live with him, but if we want more we have to replace him IMO. My caveat, as always, is that I hope I am proven wrong, but as mentioned earlier, time is running out.

Agreed. Not rating a player doesn't make anyone a bad supporter, pretending all of our players are quality is not the answer. I still fail to see why Rose got the gig just because he did well at Sunderland, I wasn't convinced then and I'm not convinced now. What exactly is he good at?

Going forward - Not consistent enough

Crossing - Nope

Positional sense - No

Temperament - Questionable and hot headed

Overall defensive game - Needs massively improving

I'm not trying to be difficult, but someone who rates please tell me where I'm wrong or what he excels at.

Haven't seen enough of fryers, but he's looked solid every game I have. For that, I'd play him ahead of Rose who I think is really really weak. Unkown-but-probably-cack is better than known cack! (Same reason I'd start Lamela).

I have no more a problem with Rose than I have with the majority of this team, I guess he's just an easier target than the others.

Who ever plays there is gonna struggle over 90 minutes until we have a midfielder playing on the left....

The amount of room we leave on that side to attack but also defend means that the left back for us will always get caught out a few times a game in the attacking position (as they have to do 2 jobs)

For what it's worth I think fryers has played really well in the last couple of games he has played in but Rose is far better than some of you give him credit for. He is not the best in the league but he hasn't let us don't that much and he has had to deal with injuries a lot too

I just think a lot of this forum have expectations of our players to be on a level that if they actually were would be at Barca et al. Rose isn't perfect, but its like the criticism Walker was getting a couple of years back I really do wonder what some expect of these players. He's quick, threatening going forward, haven't seen him be skinned by a winger much, I agree he has made a few mistakes but I would eat my hat if he's still doing that in a couple of years....

Fryers has potential but isn't good enough to be first choice, yet.

Rose is good enough as a back-up, but not as first choice and I don't think he'll ever be

Naughton is championship standard

Back