• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fryers > Rose

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
Ok then, so last night was only about the 2nd or 3rd full match I've seen of the Biblical Chippy, but I must say I really enjoyed watching the first game in ages where I've not been anxious that Rose is going to do something stupid at any moment.

I thought he looked mature, held his position well and was accomplished on the ball. I think he definitely did enough to earn the starting spot against Cardiff.

Also credit to Dawson, who I noticed was very active in talking him through the match.

Any thoughts on Fryers then and his position relative to Rose?

Last edited:
Hard to tell this early but to me it seems like Fryers still plays a bit tentative but hardly ever puts a foot wrong. Rose on his day can really give us a great option going forward but as you mentioned his mistakes have cost us so is it worth going with the safer option in Fryers? I think I need to see a bit more of Fryers to make that judgement but maybe it is time to give him a chance

Fryers is defensively better and he did single Vertonghen out for praise in his post match interview for helping him through the game. He did move into forward positions well and created an outlet. My only concern is that if we play the wonky 442 with Eriksen creeping infield then really the LB must be a more potent attacking outlet, something that I think Rose is better at. That said I would prefer our backline to be water tight so of Fryers continues to offer us a better option then he should keep his spot.

He looks assured defensively. With the prospect of an attacking RB in Walker and a wonky left mid in Erikson a defensive left back is no bad thing. Also he has the height to cover Verts if he goes forward or play in a back 3 if we have to really attack during a game. Prefer to see him get a run in the side over Rose personally.

Fryers is defensively better and he did single Vertonghen out for praise in his post match interview for helping him through the game. He did move into forward positions well and created an outlet. My only concern is that if we play the wonky 442 with Eriksen creeping infield then really the LB must be a more potent attacking outlet, something that I think Rose is better at. That said I would prefer our backline to be water tight so of Fryers continues to offer us a better option then he should keep his spot.

That is refreshing to hear. I have been critical of Vertoghen of late but I see acts like this as a welcome sign.

Just on Fryers I thought he did very well, except for a few fluffed crosses. I have him over Rose on that showing.

I think it is time to get a crossing coach in.

I am not one to write off a player but I think he looks pretty rubbish to me. He reacts to things there is no reading of the game.

Also both Rose and Friers make me appreciate Walker more, look when the ball is lost when they are upfield (with the ball or not) as soonas there is a break they are jogging back, walker sprints back to position every time, its really telling.

Deserves to keep his place in the team imo,
however we do need to sign someone else as first choice for next season.
Neither Rose nor Fryers are good enough (at the moment?) to be in our strongest line up.

I am stunned to think that a team who harboured serious ambitions for the top 4 had Naughton in the squad, and Rose as a starter. It's one of life's mysteries

Ok then, so last night was only about the 2nd or 3rd full match I've seen of the Biblical Chippy, but I must say I really enjoyed watching the first game in ages where I've not been anxious that Rose is going to do something stupid at any moment.

I thought he looked mature, held his position well and was accomplished on the ball. I think he definitely did enough to earn the starting spot against Cardiff.

Also credit to Dawson, who I noticed was very active in talking him through the match.

Any thoughts on Fryers then and his position relative to Rose?

I'd play him ahead of Rose as often as possible, simply because he will hold position more and not believe he is Danny Alves.

I am not one to write off a player but I think he looks pretty rubbish to me. He reacts to things there is no reading of the game.

Also both Rose and Friers make me appreciate Walker more, look when the ball is lost when they are upfield (with the ball or not) as soonas there is a break they are jogging back, walker sprints back to position every time, its really telling.

I see your point, but given what we need to do most (prevent goals) Fryers is worth a punt as he's more solid…yeah, I love Walker TBF...

I see your point, but given what we need to do most (prevent goals) Fryers is worth a punt as he's more solid…yeah, I love Walker TBF...

I don't think fryers will do that, I will be surprised if he continues in a top league, I think what he is missing can't be taught. He just reacts and a second too slow.

I honestly give our youngsters a chance but I think he is out of his depth

I don't think fryers will do that, I will be surprised if he continues in a top league, I think what he is missing can't be taught. He just reacts and a second too slow.

I honestly give our youngsters a chance but I think he is out of his depth

I have a sneaking doubt that you're right to be fair, can't explain it but yes, his pysch might not be there long-term, and I do think its pysch to be fair, we might yet see him develop a surge of confidence…I suppose I am so desperate not to see Rose galloping upfield/getting his coverage wrong/simply being out of position due to stupidity that I'd take the short-term gamble on Fryers to remain tight and within the handle of Vertonghen through the end of the season. I suspect that Sherwood will go with Rose, but truth be told, both should be looking for new employment this summer as we need to sincerely upgrade that position.

Don't rate either of them tbh. Rose is no more than a back up and Fryers won't make it here long term I don't think.

Quite happy with fryers and Naughton last night, Naughton especially did well against that potential Lpool signing.

Still hopeful Sunderland are right about rose. To be fair most full backs in the league are **** so he only needs to be good at one thing and he will do..... Miss bae

Back