• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

It's true that Paulinho and Soldado were signed after Baldini came to the club. If they were players he wanted or players primarily AVB wanted is impossible to know from the outside - although they seem much more like AVB targets than Lamela was for example to me.

Paulinho was signed less than two weeks after Baldini joined the club. Under those circumstances, I think that it is very unlikely that he was identified by him.

On the other hand if it's not on his no.1 wishlist targets why buy ? Instead of 7 new players maybe we should've gone for just two big names...I can certainly see that's AVB's approach, did you really think he wanted 7 new players to replace 1 of bale?

Good point. We could have put some of the money towards a new stadium.

That for 4 years Redknapp was principally interested in signing players who had played for him before (Parker, Crouch, Defoe, Krancjar, Kaboul), or who were mates with Frank Lampard (Gudjohnsen, Gallas). That doesn't require much of a scouting network or scientific selection processes like 'the black box'.

Comolli was saying last week how the scouting network he and Arnesen had created had just dissipated since 2008. Baldini is obviously trying to put something back together again, as shown by the recruitment of Broomfield and now this guy.

The one thing no one can credit Redknapp with was a long term approach. Not investing in the future especially around 2010-12 is the reason we are having to rebuild largely from scratch now.

You mean like Remy, Hazard, Cahill, Tevez, Adebayor, Walker, Naughton, Friedel, Gallas and Vertonghen?

What is our current wage cap anyway? Is Ade not meant to be on £170,000 per week?
He's on something between £80 - 100k pw. The rest was paid by City and stopped when his contract with them would have expired which was last summer.

Out highest earner so far has been Bale who I believe was on £120k pw towards the end of his time with us.

What is our current wage cap anyway? Is Ade not meant to be on £170,000 per week?

65% of turnover

2012/3 turnover was £147.4m

So wage limit is £95.8m, or £1.84m per week.

That's an average of £74k per player (if they all earnt the same, which they don't)

One thing in the DoF role that frustrates me how often people overlook what is one of the key responsibilities of the role. Scouting is important for sure - but people in the industry are very well informed about players. Just because some of you hadn't heard of Luka Modric before we signed him doesn't mean that those involved in the game hadn't already noticed that this little Croatian kid playing for the biggest team in the country and for his national side had impeccable ball control and was running games from central midfield. It's not like Comolli "discovered" him and all of Europe's biggest clubs with their vast scouting networks had somehow managed to overlook him.

No - the REALLY key thing about a DoF is the ability to convince players to join your club. The best players will usually have multiple offers on the table. Even when one has been accepted, their agent will 9 times out of 10 be whoring them out to competitors, trying to see if he can get a better deal. The key thing for a DoF, is closing the deal. Remember that story of how Man Utd tried to hijack the Berbatov deal at the last minute but Comolli saw it through? That was good work from him. Failing to go near a defensive midfielder or to sign a Keane replacement, was very poor, and was the reason he ultimately lost his job.

Look at Baldini's work. Most of the signings haven't worked out for a number of reasons. That to me suggests poor scouting and/or poor recommendations from a manager as much as poor work from the DoF. But he has convinced some quite high profile players to join us - Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho and Eriksen were all well known and well respected players that would have almost certainly have had other offers on the table too (maybe nobody else would have paid £26m for Soldado). To join a club that wasn't in the Champions League. And whilst we missed out on transfer targets this summer, that was mostly down to Levy not making funds available to get the deals over the line - Schneiderlin for example was quite vocal about wanting to join us but Southampton refused the deal. If Levy loosens the purse strings a little and we get this Paul Mitchell bloke in to help steer him in the right direction and make sure he's closing deals for better players - I think things could work out quite nicely.

And the simple fact of the matter is - despite Southampton starting the season better than we have, we are still a club who published revenue of £147.4m in the last set of financial results (before the Bale windfall), whereas Southampton brought in £71.8m (less than half as much) over the same period. They're punching massively above their weight right now, and even if they do go the distance this year they won't be able to hold onto players like Tadic, Schneiderlin and Clyne for more than a couple of seasons if they keep playing this way. You can sell your best player for £25m and bring in a better replacement for half the price if you're very lucky, but it's very rare in football. Mitchell probably realises this and thinks it's probably best to take a bigger opportunity while his stock is high. Levy has been tight on player recruitment before but with the likes of Ramos and Redknapp he's paid big money to make management changes, as well as giving out big pay-offs to sack people. So even if it does go all tits up, AND Baldini doesn't become the fall-guy, Mitchell can expect to be financially well rewarded regardless of how things turn out.

One thing in the DoF role that frustrates me how often people overlook what is one of the key responsibilities of the role. Scouting is important for sure - but people in the industry are very well informed about players. Just because some of you hadn't heard of Luka Modric before we signed him doesn't mean that those involved in the game hadn't already noticed that this little Croatian kid playing for the biggest team in the country and for his national side had impeccable ball control and was running games from central midfield. It's not like Comolli "discovered" him and all of Europe's biggest clubs with their vast scouting networks had somehow managed to overlook him.

No - the REALLY key thing about a DoF is the ability to convince players to join your club. The best players will usually have multiple offers on the table. Even when one has been accepted, their agent will 9 times out of 10 be whoring them out to competitors, trying to see if he can get a better deal. The key thing for a DoF, is closing the deal. Remember that story of how Man Utd tried to hijack the Berbatov deal at the last minute but Comolli saw it through? That was good work from him. Failing to go near a defensive midfielder or to sign a Keane replacement, was very poor, and was the reason he ultimately lost his job.

Look at Baldini's work. Most of the signings haven't worked out for a number of reasons. That to me suggests poor scouting and/or poor recommendations from a manager as much as poor work from the DoF. But he has convinced some quite high profile players to join us - Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho and Eriksen were all well known and well respected players that would have almost certainly have had other offers on the table too (maybe nobody else would have paid £26m for Soldado). To join a club that wasn't in the Champions League. And whilst we missed out on transfer targets this summer, that was mostly down to Levy not making funds available to get the deals over the line - Schneiderlin for example was quite vocal about wanting to join us but Southampton refused the deal. If Levy loosens the purse strings a little and we get this Paul Mitchell bloke in to help steer him in the right direction and make sure he's closing deals for better players - I think things could work out quite nicely.

And the simple fact of the matter is - despite Southampton starting the season better than we have, we are still a club who published revenue of £147.4m in the last set of financial results (before the Bale windfall), whereas Southampton brought in £71.8m (less than half as much) over the same period. They're punching massively above their weight right now, and even if they do go the distance this year they won't be able to hold onto players like Tadic, Schneiderlin and Clyne for more than a couple of seasons if they keep playing this way. You can sell your best player for £25m and bring in a better replacement for half the price if you're very lucky, but it's very rare in football. Mitchell probably realises this and thinks it's probably best to take a bigger opportunity while his stock is high. Levy has been tight on player recruitment before but with the likes of Ramos and Redknapp he's paid big money to make management changes, as well as giving out big pay-offs to sack people. So even if it does go all tits up, AND Baldini doesn't become the fall-guy, Mitchell can expect to be financially well rewarded regardless of how things turn out.

Not just recruitment and scouting either. Medical, academy and club secretarial come under his authority too. Therefore is Baldini due credit for us having virtually no injuries this season etc?

I thought Lea Reed was the main guy at Southampton? Who's this pretender?

Might be the main guy. Reportedly an executive director now. Not sure if it would make sense to bring him in to supplement Baldini. I don't think Mitchell is being brought in to be the main guy going by what has been written so far...

Paulinho was signed less than two weeks after Baldini joined the club. Under those circumstances, I think that it is very unlikely that he was identified by him.

Especially as we had already pursued him for some time at that point. But he was probably someone Baldini had good knowledge on. He might still have been all "oh yeah, Paulinho, he's ****ing awesome and will be great for us in the Premier League". Then again he might have been just "ok, that's what AVB wants that's what he'll get. Seems like a decent player". We can't know what went on. Giving Baldini **** for any of those signings seems harsh for me.

Might be the main guy. Reportedly an executive director now. Not sure if it would make sense to bring him in to supplement Baldini. I don't think Mitchell is being brought in to be the main guy going by what has been written so far...

Havnt been reading tbh. What's he being brought in to do? I mean what I HAVE read, his track record is about as good as Baldinis.

Obviously if Poch wants him in and feels this is a good way to revamp our scouting, then of course I am all for it.

Havnt been reading tbh. What's he being brought in to do? I mean what I HAVE read, his track record is about as good as Baldinis.

Obviously if Poch wants him in and feels this is a good way to revamp our scouting, then of course I am all for it.

Reports are saying that he's not being brought in to replace Baldini.

Evaluating players, our own and potential targets, youngsters and first team players. That seems to be his thing.

Reports are saying that he's not being brought in to replace Baldini.

Evaluating players, our own and potential targets, youngsters and first team players. That seems to be his thing.

Fair enough. Isn't that what Baldini is supposed to be doing though?

Well you're not wrong there.

Like I said, not heard the best things about Mitchell but if this is the future and it helps push us on, then I'm all for it

For me the best thing about it would be that Poch obviously knows him and knows how to work with him.

For me the best thing about it would be that Poch obviously knows him and knows how to work with him.

Agreed. I'm glad he's allowed signings like this, shows Levy backs him. Let's just hope from now on he's backed when it comes to the players he wants to push his vision on.

Back