• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

"Under the new structure envisioned by chairman Daniel Levy, Mitchell will take up a new position in which he focusses on identifying the best talent"

"Spurs, though, had offered Mitchell a vastly improved salary and it is understood that he will not be answerable to Baldini in his new role."

These parts sound better. So he'll be in charge of player recruitment and identifying targets.....if it gets Baldini away from that then:eek:k:

Redknapp's non "scientific recruitment" got us playing the best brand of football and got us our best league finishes so it may not be the recruitment you like but it's got us the most success.

Badini's 'scientic recruitment' has so far got us:

1) A 26m pound striker that has managed to score 2 open play goals in nearly 1 and a half seasons.
2) A defender that can't defend
3) A Brazilian CM that can't even make the bench and is nothing short of turbo ****.
4) A Defensive midfielder that can't hold his position.
5) A 30m pound attacking midfielder that still hasn't scored a single goal in the league.

All the above has cost us in the region of 90m. That's what 'scientific approach' has got us.

soldado and paulinho were here before baldini were they not?

can you name any defender any club has bought in the last year who can defend?

Redknapp's non "scientific recruitment" got us playing the best brand of football and got us our best league finishes so it may not be the recruitment you like but it's got us the most success.

Badini's 'scientic recruitment' has so far got us:

1) A 26m pound striker that has managed to score 2 open play goals in nearly 1 and a half seasons.
2) A defender that can't defend
3) A Brazilian CM that can't even make the bench and is nothing short of turbo ****.
4) A Defensive midfielder that can't hold his position.
5) A 30m pound attacking midfielder that still hasn't scored a single goal in the league.

All the above has cost us in the region of 90m. That's what 'scientific approach' has got us.

It's just archaic bad practice though.

At your company, whatever sector it may be. Would you want the director appointing all his mates and people from his last company? Or would you want an open, transparent, objective selection process, with a scientific element (e.g. psychometrics), giving due diligence that you get the best candidate for every job?

Player recruitment is just HR. And there are business (not just moral) reasons why you don't behave like it’s the 1950s still.

It's unfair to judge Baldini on the signings made in his first 2 months in post. His role is by definition a long term one, with a focus 2-3 years into the future. Whether his kids - signings like Yahaya, Azzaoui and Lazar - turn into future Modrics and Bales is more what he should be judged on.

Here's a video about him (from about 6.20 for 4 mins):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShdaWbMUFfE&feature=player_embedded

And an article: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11582234.display/

It looks like he has quite a technical/analytical role, so I guess he'd come in beneath/supporting Baldini and Broomfield, rather than a replacement for either.

It also seems his science is applied to internal talent as well, so presumably there'd be overlap with McDermott and the academy too.

Very interesting. Science and Analytics!!!!!

As always excited, but deep down in my Spurs heart I worry he will go to Chelsea.

"Under the new structure envisioned by chairman Daniel Levy, Mitchell will take up a new position in which he focusses on identifying the best talent"

"Spurs, though, had offered Mitchell a vastly improved salary and it is understood that he will not be answerable to Baldini in his new role."

These parts sound better. So he'll be in charge of player recruitment and identifying targets.....if it gets Baldini away from that then:eek:k:

So you don't want the man who discovered Cristiano Zanetti, Walter Samuel, Cassano, De Rossi, Higuain, Marquinho, Pjanic or Krkic as teenagers working in that area anymore?

At your company, whatever sector it may be. Would you want the director appointing all his mates and people from his last company? Or would you want an open, transparent, objective selection process, with a scientific element (e.g. psychometrics), giving due diligence that you get the best candidate for every job?

Player recruitment is just HR. And there are business (not just moral) reasons why you don't behave like it’s the 1950s still.

It's unfair to judge Baldini on the signings made in his first 2 months in post. His role is by definition a long term one, with a focus 2-3 years into the future. Whether his kids - signings like Yahaya, Azzaoui and Lazar - turn into future Modrics and Bales is more what he should be judged on.

I disagree completely.

I would want the director identifying and recruiting the best possible candidates and if they turn out to be not good enough, then i'd expect the director to stand down or be sacked tbh. I don't care what sort of "scientific recruitment process" he implements tbh...as long as the players recruited are good. The current batch for the most part are really bad so i'd kindly ask Baldini to focus on other areas or leave.

Looks like Mitchell will now be in charge of player recruitment so it's all good now.

So you don't want the man who discovered Cristiano Zanetti, Walter Samuel, Cassano, De Rossi, Higuain, Marquinho, Pjanic or Krkic as teenagers working in that area anymore?

you don't get it do you?

Whilst you apparently cream yourself over what he has done in previous clubs, i simply don't care. I cared when we were looking to bring him in...that's when you care. You look at our apparent DOF target (which was Baldini at the time) and you do your own research as to what he's done and what he's credentials are. I did indeed do that and i was excited and wanted us to bring him in.

Now i look at what he's done for US. When you're still referring to his successes in previous clubs then you know there's a problem.

I disagree completely.

I would want the director identifying and recruiting the best possible candidates and if they turn out to be not good enough, then i'd expect the director to stand down or be sacked tbh. I don't care what sort of "scientific recruitment process" he implements tbh...as long as the players recruited are good. The current batch for the most part are really bad so i'd kindly ask Baldini to focus on other areas or leave.

Looks like Mitchell will now be in charge of player recruitment so it's all good now.

you don't get it do you?

Whilst you apparently cream yourself over what he has done in previous clubs, i simply don't care. I cared when we were looking to bring him in...that's when you care. You look at our apparent DOF target (which was Baldini at the time) and you do your own research as to what he's done and what he's credentials are. I did indeed do that and i was excited and wanted us to bring him in.

Now i look at what he's done for US. When you're still referring to his successes in previous clubs then you know there's a problem.

But Baldini hasn't had time. He had 6 years at Roma getting that production line established and baring fruits. He's had 17 months with us.

I'm not sure why you are so keen on this Mitchell guy if you don't like a scientific approach. He basically seems to have built his own advanced version of Football Manager. His recommendations will be based purely on algorithms.

Let's also not forget that's he'll now have to do 3 months of gardening leave, and Southampton will likely own the IP for his computer system.

Baldini was never 'in charge of player recruitment' at Spurs anyway. He was the man sent to close the deals identified by the committee. Clearly, he works wonders in this regard, as we have been much more successful in the last two summers at identifying our targets, going after them, closing the deals or moving on quickly to someone else if it didn't happen.

He was also someone to bring in to take the pressure of contract negotiations, renewals, new deals and youth development away from Levy and the board, so they could concentrate on the new stadium.

Part of Baldini's remit is also rebuilding the scouting structure that had been decimated by firstly Redknapp's arrival and Comolli's sacking and then Broomfield's departure.

Mitchell is just part of this.

Mitchell's job I would imagine is making sure there is a wider and more appropriate selection of players for the committee to debate and that where candidates are selected, they have been more thoroughly and effectively scouted and vetted.

On the other hand if it's not on his no.1 wishlist targets why buy ? Instead of 7 new players maybe we should've gone for just two big names...I can certainly see that's AVB's approach, did you really think he wanted 7 new players to replace 1 of bale?

No, but what appears to have happened was that Paulinho, Chadli and probably Soldado were signed primarily to play with Bale. I can see the logic of all them playing in AVB's system with Bale as a wide-right forward in a 4-3-3, Chadli left of Soldado and Paulinho contributing goals from midfield supported by two deep holding players.

Not that I loved AVB's tactics and style, but those signings above with Capoue and Sandro/Dembele in midfield would make us a very solid team, if a pretty functional one, with plenty of goals throughotu the side and a genuine monster in Bale to provide the quality and match-winning potential that is typical of AVB's successful systems.

I think Chiriches would probably have been brought in to replace Caulker in a like-for-like back up CB swap regardless of what happened. I can imagine that Capoue had been targeted to provide cover due to Parker's likely departure and Sandro's fitness issues as well. The fact that he went straight into AVB's team suggests that he was a target of his.

Bale then made it untenable for us to keep him by all accounts. By that stage, we'd probably already targeted/committed to the majority of the 7 signings, leaving 2 of the 7, but here is where i see the problems everyone's identified.

I think its clear that AVB wanted Willian and/or Hulk to replace Bale. Clearly we were done-over as far as Willian was concerned, whereas I think the wages Hulk was on, would be well in excess of anything we could realistically look to afford.

It's no good saying that in theory we could have afforded Hulk's fee with the Bale money. Don't believe the fee was the problem. But the Bale money was a one-off then we'd be stuck with whatever wage bill we would have been left with.

In theory, yes, you take £86m from Bale and you reinvest it with as similar a player as you can. The problem we faced as a club was that we'd already began a summer strategy based on Bale not being sold, then when he was sold, we were left with identifying a player that could not only fill the gap he left, but also fit with the existing targets we'd identified.

It's clear that Lamela and Eriksen were less than ideal fits to plug the gap and it all fell apart as a consequence. I'd suggest that, faced with the loss of Bale and hindered in pursuing the 'genuine proven quality repplacements' you talk about due to our wage ceiling, we've decided to invest in the best young prospects we could identify quickly and that were affordable and that could offer a realistic chance of contributing straight away as much as possible.

Clearly this didn't fit with the AVB vision of how the Bale replacement would have gone. However, I still believe he identified and was fully behind the majority of the 7 players we signed.

I think that is the key learning from the Bale situation that we need to remember if we ever end up in it again. Liverpool are feeling the same pain this season.

Lose an 80 million pound player, replace him with two 40 million pound established players rather than 7 un-proven youngsters.

Two 40 mill established players will want 120-150k a week each, out of our bracket at this time

I would want the director appointing the best people for the job.... If those people were people the director had previously worked for then I wouldn't care one iota!

Redknapp made a few 'average' signings I will admit. However I don't think any have been as inept and/or clearly not suited to the PL as most of Baldini's so far. I think you could only argue that Ericksen has been a (limited) success with Chadli perhaps also falling into the same category.

I think Lamela is still in the category of future investment however. There is clearly a lot of raw talent there and similarly to Bale when he first came he's pretty hit and miss in terms of his effectiveness and impact on games at this time. Given the age of some of these investments, the success or otherwise of the signings will be judged in a few years, not now. Also, I believe that only Lamela was someone truely identified by Baldini. I think the other targets were identified prior to his arrival and certainly with a lot of input from AVB. Even Eriksen was on Spurs radar for a considerable time prior to Baldini's arrival.

I would want the director appointing the best people for the job.... If those people were people the director had previously worked for then I wouldn't care one iota!

Redknapp made a few 'average' signings I will admit. However I don't think any have been as inept and/or clearly not suited to the PL as most of Baldini's so far. I think you could only argue that Ericksen has been a (limited) success with Chadli perhaps also falling into the same category.

Also I looked at that list of players you gave in terms of Redknapp signings Parker, Crouch, Defoe, Krancjar, Kaboul, Gudjohnsen, Gallas (and you forgot Sandro, Naughton, Palacios, Walker and VDV by the way - I wonder why?.... (of course I actually know why!)

I compare those to the signings we have made under Baldini... You know what I see?....

Palacios, Parker, Sandro > Capoue, Stambouli
Defoe, Gudjohnsen, Crouch > Soldado
Kaboul, Gallas > Chiriches, Fazio
Walker > Dier
VDV > Ericksen, Paulinho
Krancjar > Lamela, Chadli

Perhaps Levy should give Redknapp a call and ask him to be our DoF?.... We might start signing a few players that are actually what we need/suited to English football?

But Baldini hasn't had time. He had 6 years at Roma getting that production line established and baring fruits. He's had 17 months with us.

I'm not sure why you are so keen on this Mitchell guy if you don't like a scientific approach. He basically seems to have built his own advanced version of Football Manager. His recommendations will be based purely on algorithms.

Let's also not forget that's he'll now have to do 3 months of gardening leave, and Southampton will likely own the IP for his computer system.

You're missing the point...I don't care what approach the DOF takes as long as it brings suaccess to the club. I don't even know this Mitchell guy but he's alternative to someone that has failed so I'm all for it.

I think Lamela is still in the category of future investment however. There is clearly a lot of raw talent there and similarly to Bale when he first came he's pretty hit and miss in terms of his effectiveness and impact on games at this time. Given the age of some of these investments, the success or otherwise of the signings will be judged in a few years, not now. Also, I believe that only Lamela was someone truely identified by Baldini. I think the other targets were identified prior to his arrival and certainly with a lot of input from AVB. Even Eriksen was on Spurs radar for a considerable time prior to Baldini's arrival.

I'm not necessarily somebody who thinks we should bin Baldini (yet).... Like you say the summer he came in he could well have just been working on targets already identified. I was rather disappointed with our buys in the Summer however. A pretty uninspiring lot I'd say. My thoughts are that Baldini deserves this Winter and next Summer's transfer windows before we judge him. I just get incredibly annoyed at how GB likes to try to blame all of our woes on Redknapp when it's pretty clear that our woes in the transfer market started under AVB.

Also I looked at that list of players you gave in terms of Redknapp signings Parker, Crouch, Defoe, Krancjar, Kaboul, Gudjohnsen, Gallas (and you forgot Sandro, Naughton, Palacios, Walker and VDV by the way - I wonder why?.... (of course I actually know why!)

I compare those to the signings we have made under Baldini... You know what I see?....

Palacios, Parker, Sandro > Capoue, Stambouli
Defoe, Gudjohnsen, Crouch > Soldado
Kaboul, Gallas > Chiriches, Fazio
Walker > Dier
VDV > Ericksen, Paulinho
Krancjar > Lamela, Chadli

Perhaps Levy should give Redknapp a call and ask him to be our DoF?.... We might start signing a few players that are actually what we need/suited to English football?

Redknapp's chief asset has always been his playing of the transfer market and he is a very canny operator in this regard. Unfortunately, Redknapp is also supposedly a quite difficult individual to deal with at times and he makes whatever club he is at, overly reliant on Redknapp himself, as he tends to insist on the club ditching any DOF/scouting structure in place in favour of Redknapp, his coaching staff and own network of scouting and other contacts.

The different direction Levy probably wanted to go in has little to do with the quality of signings or football under Redknapp and more to do with resting back control of the long-term strategy of the club from Redknapp, given his lack of loyalty shown during the England issue, his age and the fact that the up-coming academy and stadium project meant that the club wanted to concentrate on value/investment signings and younger players, rather than seasoned pro's the like Redknapp tend to favour.

That's not to say Redknapp's stategy was the wrong one, it was the right one for Spurs at the time in the short-term and its certainly the right strategy for Redknapp, winning football, winning the right way. The problem is that its all totally reliant on Redknapp and you can see the trail of devastation at clubs he has moved on from, to see how hard it is for the club to recover from the Redknapp/short term results focus. Many of the clubs ended up being relegated, even ones that enjoyed short-term successes under him such as West Ham (who finished 5th under him) and Portsmouth (who won the cup). Southampton have only just recovered from almost being destroyed.

Clearly we not only owe a lot of our recent success to Redknapp, but we also owe the huge rebuilding job we now have on our hands to him as well.

I'm not necessarily somebody who thinks we should bin Baldini (yet).... Like you say the summer he came in he could well have just been working on targets already identified. I was rather disappointed with our buys in the Summer however. A pretty uninspiring lot I'd say. My thoughts are that Baldini deserves this Winter and next Summer's transfer windows before we judge him. I just get incredibly annoyed at how GB likes to try to blame all of our woes on Redknapp when it's pretty clear that our woes in the transfer market started under AVB.

I think that's a fair comment. I'd also say that I would have expected Baldini to pipe up if he felt any of the existing targets were ill suited, or if he felt he had a better alternative. He clearly sanctioned and sealed the deal of a lot of the targets without question, although to an extent i'd say the DOF should listen to what the head coach wants and have an input, without dominating the discussions behind player recruitment. That's if the relationship is going to work long-term anyway.

No.

Your second question is weird and irrelevant tbh.

It's true that Paulinho and Soldado were signed after Baldini came to the club. If they were players he wanted or players primarily AVB wanted is impossible to know from the outside - although they seem much more like AVB targets than Lamela was for example to me.

What seems clear is that the people who do know what Baldini said and did are happy for him to remain at the club.

You're missing the point...I don't care what approach the DOF takes as long as it brings suaccess to the club. I don't even know this Mitchell guy but he's alternative to someone that has failed so I'm all for it.

Accepting your description so far for the sake of argument. Do you think it's likely that he will continue to fail or not?

Baldini is likely to catch the next bullet at the club

While some of his buys may still come good, almost none were bargains/value buys, and the team still seems to lack balance and leadership.

Back