• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

If you think changing the meat-shield above Poch in the command structure will help in any non-corporeal way, then sure, bringing Cortese in would probably be a decent idea. If you expect anything substantial to change as a result of him being brought in....no, nothing will change.

There's no point in changing him at the moment. Cortese wouldn't add anything, one of his main roles at Southampton was simply selling "the project" to the players they were trying to sign. We need to slug it out for the remainder of the season and see what happens in the next two transfer windows at least.

The club need more backbone than the supporters basically and to also stick with and then back the manager with regards to who he wants for the first team, whilst continuing to sign players with the potential to step up to the WC bracket. It's the combination of both those elements which got us to where we were in 11/12 and it's also the dissolving of both those elements which have us in the situation we are currently in.

No DoF during Redknapps period = lack of emerging talent in the years after

Not backing AVB with first team signings = a team which lacked the players required for the managers prefered approach.

Sort those two issues out and we will be ok

Surprised no one has mentioned Comolli today having a go

http://talksport.com/football/exclu...joke-around-world-claims-comolli-141110123688

Exclusive – Tottenham’s scouting network is a joke around the world, claims Comolli

Tottenham Hotspur’s scouting network is a joke, according to former sporting director Damien Comolli.

Spurs are sitting 12th in the Premier League after 11 games and their transfer business is under heavy scrutiny, with the majority of their signings over the last two years struggling to adapt to the demands of the Premier League.

Expensive buys like Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Vlad Chiriches and Federico Fazio have failed to live up to their price tags, while £10million left-back Ben Davies is being kept out of the team by Danny Rose.

Their technical director Franco Baldini is currently in charge of their affairs in this area but Comolli has brutally laid bare the club’s failings by revealing their understaffed recruitment team is a laughing stock amongst the world’s biggest clubs.

He told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “If the board or the chairman feel the club is not functioning properly it’s up to them to sit down and review the situation.

“From the outside, what I can tell you is that among the top 20 clubs in the world, in terms of wealth, Spurs are the only ones who haven’t got a scouting network.

“They are clearly understaffed in this aspect. It has become a kind of joke in the scouting community. They say, ‘have you seen a Spurs scout?’ You don’t see them. I don’t think they’ve got any.

“[When I was at Tottenham] we had 12 full-time scouts. We had a great scouting staff. The scout we had in Italy at the time is now the sporting director at Sampdoria after being sporting director at Monaco. The one we had in Spain is now head of recruitment for a big club in Spain. The one we had in Argentina is now head of recruitment for a club in Italy, so we had a strong scouting network which allowed us to sign all those players. Now it doesn’t seem to be the case."

And their problems don't end there, according to Comolli: “They have this fantastic [training] facility that Daniel Levy and I fought very hard to build but they need some brain power in there.

“If you look at the top clubs in the Premier League, all of them have got five fitness coaches and five physiotherapists just for the first-team but I don’t think Spurs have got anywhere near that at the moment.

“There is a lot to be done to address this situation.”

One question though. What players did these scouts in Spain and Italy come up with? Nobody.

Someone, probably GB, made the excellent point that much of what DOF's do is for the future. Fine. But what about the balance of the team NOW? Where are the players who are seasoned premier league professionals? We seem to have gone from one extreme under Rednapp, who bought in lots of players who were long in the tooth, to an extreme blend of English youth players and foreigners who may or may not adapt to the speed and physicality of the English game. Rednapp knew that a successful team needs "characters" who would not allow others to shirk. I suspect that AVB and Poch prefer young players who they can mould, hence Sandro being let go. The result is that we have no leaders on the pitch. Presumably Fazio is thought of as a leader...but he will take a season to adjust to the pace of this league.

It wouldn't hurt to sell at least two or three in January and make another go for Scheiderlin.

Someone, probably GB, made the excellent point that much of what DOF's do is for the future. Fine. But what about the balance of the team NOW? Where are the players who are seasoned premier league professionals? We seem to have gone from one extreme under Rednapp, who bought in lots of players who were long in the tooth, to an extreme blend of English youth players and foreigners who may or may not adapt to the speed and physicality of the English game. Rednapp knew that a successful team needs "characters" who would not allow others to shirk. I suspect that AVB and Poch prefer young players who they can mould, hence Sandro being let go. The result is that we have no leaders on the pitch. Presumably Fazio is thought of as a leader...but he will take a season to adjust to the pace of this league.

As i said in a previous post (#608) - the two things which set us up well for the 'success' of the Redknapp era was the approach we had beforehand with buying up players with potential and then when Refknapp was in charge making sure we signed the players he wanted for the first team - if we back Pochettino with the players he wants whilst also keeping one eye on the future then we will soon be doing well once again (provided Pochettino is as good as we hope he can be) we CAN do this with a DoF - in fact it's probably in everyones best interest that we employ one, but we need to look to the past and at what went right and what went wrong and learn from it.

Poch spends 10-12 hours a day at the training ground. What he and the players get up to, I don't know.

The club need more backbone than the supporters basically and to also stick with and then back the manager with regards to who he wants for the first team, whilst continuing to sign players with the potential to step up to the WC bracket. It's the combination of both those elements which got us to where we were in 11/12 and it's also the dissolving of both those elements which have us in the situation we are currently in.

No DoF during Redknapps period = lack of emerging talent in the years after

Not backing AVB with first team signings = a team which lacked the players required for the managers prefered approach.

Sort those two issues out and we will be ok

Redknapp wanted to sign Hazard, Vertonghen was basically a done deal, Remy was a target for years but we never pulled the trigger and he also wanted Cahill. I can take the point that he went mainly for experience, but the results on the pitch backed up his signings. We also signed Palacios, Walker, Naughton and Pienaar, a good mix of potential and experience.

I have no doubt we would have continued to sign young players as well as players in their prime.

Back