• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fourth - who are we going to beat to it?

these are the remaining fixtures for those involved in the hunt for what should be the final CL place - obviously ourselves, Everton and Liverpool are not too far behind the front runners to be ruled out of finishing higher but for now im interested in looking at what we're up against in the run for 4th.

XUxI8E7.png

Ive tried to break it down to a basic enough level whereby we can see if anyone has a particularly hard or easy run in.

first impressions are that both ourselves and United have a relatively 'easy' end to the season (on paper) with both sides having to face a direct rival for 4th away once in the last 8 games but leaving 7 games against sides currently 8th or below. looking at the run ins of Everton and Liverpool you'd have to be fairly confident that should we find ourselves in 4th at the start of this run we should have enough going for us to see it through till the end.

Our March is a bit of a b!tch though, having said that look at Everton's finish, Liverpools doesn't look too good either :) If we can get to the Chav's in a strong position I think top 4 is a real possibility... COYS!

By the end of February we could see Everton a little behind the rest, but their March is a lot easier than the others'.

month by month for us ...

feb - 9 (Everton and 2 away wins)
march - 7 (Cardiff Southampton and a draw in one of the other 3, tad pessimistic maybe)
april - 10 (two home wins plus away win and an away draw)
May - 6

32 points there and reasonably achievable i feel, which would leave us with 75. no idea how that stacks up with previous seasons though

75 is incredibly optimistic I think.

3rd place in the PL over the last few seasons:-
2012-13 Chelsea 75
2011-12 Arsenal 70
2010-11 Emirates Marketing Project 71 (Chelsea also 71 in 2nd)
2009-10 Arsenal 75
2008-09 Chelsea 83
2007-08 Arsenal 83 (this is the last time that 75 wasn't enough to finish in the top 4)

75 as a total or do you not agree with my break down of results?

we got 72 last season (finishing 5th) so i think that 75, purely as a total, isn't that optimistic for a 4th place finish

I really think it doesn't matter with us. We seem to crumble who ever we play when the pressure builds up. I remember when we lost 0-1 to Fulham at home. That was the game where i lost all hope. I knew it would be costly.

I just hope we are made from sterner stuff this year.

Liking this idea. The idea of narratives has really bugged me this season. Journos will make subtle/not so subtle references in their articles to who are the title contenders, who is under pressure, who is having a great season, and it bugs me because these assertions take on a life of their own.

Apparently Everton, Liverpool and Southampton are fantastic, while Saudi Sportswashing Machine are a laughing stock, Moyes is clueless and Spurs are just bang average and not in with a chance of anything this year. It's all nonsense. We are bang in with a chance of 4th and always have been, and just because it looks like Arsenal and City are impregnable I don't think it means they will perform like it all year. I think Chelsea can perform consistently enough to win the league and may pull ahead, but I look at Arsenal's squad and I just do not believe they are that far ahead of us. We can catch them. As for 'Title contenders' Liverpool and 'outside bets' Everton, we already have caught them. It's a friggin joke!

It's going to be tough, but we have a great squad and a manager that seems to know how to get the best out of them in a variety of situations.

thanks Bol thought i was going loopy!!!

75 as a total or do you not agree with my break down of results?

we got 72 last season (finishing 5th) so i think that 75, purely as a total, isn't that optimistic for a 4th place finish

75pts would've been good enough to get us a spot in the Top 4 in each of the past 5 seasons... Your predictions look reasonable but this is Spurs we're talking about and we do have the habit of dropping a clanger (Fulham at WHL last season, Norwich at WHL the season before...) when we're the favourites and the spotlight is on our players.

So the winner of the Europa League gets Champions league qualification next season. What happens if both teams in the final have already qualified through the league what happens? Is there a play off between the 2 losing semi finalist? ( Not sure what thread to put it in)

So the winner of the Europa League gets Champions league qualification next season. What happens if both teams in the final have already qualified through the league what happens? Is there a play off between the 2 losing semi finalist? ( Not sure what thread to put it in)

It starts in 2015 season

From 2015 the EL winners have an automatic place in the following season's CL. If they qualify anyway through their league position the place doesn't go to the losing finalists or one of the semi-finalists. The spare CL place will be filled by advancing a team that would otherwise have entered in an earlier qualifying round. This is the same as currently happens with the CL winners.

ituk.jpg

How this season would end up if everyone matched last season's results for their remaining fixtures:

utlu.jpg

I really think it doesn't matter with us. We seem to crumble who ever we play when the pressure builds up. I remember when we lost 0-1 to Fulham at home. That was the game where i lost all hope. I knew it would be costly.

I just hope we are made from sterner stuff this year.

Tbh IIRC correctly that was the game after we had played extra time in Milan on the previous Thursday night. I still believe we would probably have lost to anyone on that afternoon.
Just a shame we didnt play Fulham at home after the 1st leg and Liverpool away after the 2nd, we would have still lost at Anfield, but I'm convinced after the impressive 3-0 win v Milan we would have taken that form into the weekend and beaten Fulham.
Just think we lost to them the following weekend because we were kn#ckered after the trip tgo Italy

Tbh IIRC correctly that was the game after we had played extra time in Milan on the previous Thursday night. I still believe we would probably have lost to anyone on that afternoon.
Just a shame we didnt play Fulham at home after the 1st leg and Liverpool away after the 2nd, we would have still lost at Anfield, but I'm convinced after the impressive 3-0 win v Milan we would have taken that form into the weekend and beaten Fulham.
Just think we lost to them the following weekend because we were kn#ckered after the trip tgo Italy

One of the reasons why I am sick and tired of the Europa League. Would absolutely love it beyond many words if we won it this year but how it has stagnated us is no real surprise. I've become sick and tired of it over the past few weeks and realised that maybe Harry was right all along

Harry Redknapp: Europa League 'a killer' for Tottenham

Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp has said doing well in the Europa League would be "a killer" to the club's hopes of challenging for the Premier League title this season or even a Champions League spot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...app-Europa-League-a-killer-for-Tottenham.html

something I felt he wasn't during AVB's tenure and that such an approach lacked ambition with us needing to try to win every trophy we go for to create a winning mentality.

This season has been season where I've somewhat started to find myself as a fan (again), before it kicked off I doubted the 'Tottenham way', was 100% behind AVB, felt Baldini could help turn us into League champions over time, that we had to win trophies to become something, we could win the EL and qualify for the CL in the same season etc etc. I've reversed my opinion on all of those, happy to be wrong just as long as it means we improve as a club, but this EL is so bad somtimes that I'd take finishing 8h over 5th, seriously, anything to avoid being in that competition again.

I know many will repeat the famous words of the wise Bill Nich - "It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe.... we're nothing. We're nothing." - but for me times have changed I think we need to be in the CL more than ever. UEFA has sold its second rate competition down the road sadly to wh0re up its cash cow even more. It's a shame tbh, when I was a kid (and I'm only 25) back in the 90s all three of UEFA's competitions were as exciting as each other. Pitty.

Last edited:
Back