• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

I’m trying to watch tonight’s Indy car race, it’s not something I normally watch, they haven’t run more than 6 laps at one time without a safety car.

And they have a truck that drives onto the track to tow cars out of the gravel and restart them

I hope F1 doesn’t end up like this

I’m trying to watch tonight’s Indy car race, it’s not something I normally watch, they haven’t run more than 6 laps at one time without a safety car.

And they have a truck that drives onto the track to tow cars out of the gravel and restart them

I hope F1 doesn’t end up like this
I suspect there are more laps without a safety car in Indy than in F1 when it's raining.

Indycar's don't race when it rains, which is where F1 seems to be heading

Edit: apparently it's only the Ovals they race on in the wet
They have been trailing "mud flaps" recently, to try to limit the amount of spray, but those test didn't prove useful. But it seems they are experimenting different solutions to be able to race with full wets. But as it is, full wets are not an option in reality.

They have been trailing "mud flaps" recently, to try to limit the amount of spray, but those test didn't prove useful. But it seems they are experimenting different solutions to be able to race with full wets. But as it is, full wets are not an option in reality.
The best solution would just be to race.

Is the Indycar mud flap thing a solution to the fact that they have windscreens on Indycars now, but no windscreen wipers?

skysports-mclaren-indycar-2020_5006406.jpg

Don't know about you, but most people would want more than 3 feet of visibility, especially at 300 kph.
I would, but it's surprising how many pro drivers don't care all that much.

Anyway, they don't have to drive flat out, just at the speed they deem safe. Might mix the pack up a bit.

I would, but it's surprising how many pro drivers don't care all that much.

Anyway, they don't have to drive flat out, just at the speed they deem safe. Might mix the pack up a bit.

Thats part of the skill I thought? Where the line is in differing conditions. Otherwise its just sterile crap.

Even as a fleeting viewer, some of the best races I have seen are when either someone is fighting from the back of the grid (hence a fan of your idea of a reverse grid) or when someones raced above the standard in the rain, when its a fine line between pace and spinning out. Not Hamiltons biggest fan but seen him out on some masterclasses in the rain

I've always been in favour of races starting in reverse championship order (or last year's results for the first race).
Trouble is, their race engineers would just say "Verstappen is coming up behind you, don't fight him, you're not in a race with the Red Bulls" etc etc so a lot of the overtakes would be very tame.
A better solution is to have weight added as per the driver's standings.

Trouble is, their race engineers would just say "Verstappen is coming up behind you, don't fight him, you're not in a race with the Red Bulls" etc etc so a lot of the overtakes would be very tame.
A better solution is to have weight added as per the driver's standings.
I've never understood that (seemingly recent) change.

It used to be that drivers always fought for position no matter what it meant for the race in the longer term - their pride would never have allowed them to just get out of another driver's way.

Nobody ever tries to fight Verstappen when he's out of position

Because tires are brick* now, the drop off on worn is massive. It’s just not worth it.

*By design. Not technically, the FIA just don’t want tires that last with minimal performance degradation.

Last edited:
I've never understood that (seemingly recent) change.

It used to be that drivers always fought for position no matter what it meant for the race in the longer term - their pride would never have allowed them to just get out of another driver's way.

Nobody ever tries to fight Verstappen when he's out of position

Begs the question of whats the point of anyone else other than filler?

Back