• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football Trivia Question of the Day

I think there are two different lists somehow. Due to for some years, the title of Champion of Poland were given to the winners of the Polish Cup. Something similar in Malaysia, the overall winner is the Malaysia Cup winner and not the league winner.

I think there are two different lists somehow. Due to for some years, the title of Champion of Poland were given to the winners of the Polish Cup. Something similar in Malaysia, the overall winner is the Malaysia Cup winner and not the league winner.

I don't know when the Polish league started but it could be similar to Germany where the national league didn't start until relatively late (early 60s). Before then there were regional leagues. So the title of national champions might be better determined by a cup competition. I think the Germans had a play-off style national championship involving regional league winners for at least some of the time before the Bundesliga.

Wisla have won the Polish League 12 times but the two teams I'm after have 14 titles each.

My Polish Brother-in-law reckons Wisla has won it 14 times and hold that title with Gornik Zabrze. And a team called Ruch Chorzow has 13. I know nothing of polish football but luckily he is visiting.

My Polish Brother-in-law reckons Wisla has won it 14 times and hold that title with Gornik Zabrze. And a team called Ruch Chorzow has 13. I know nothing of polish football but luckily he is visiting.

Seems he is right that they have finished first in the league 14 times, but were only Polish champions 13 times. Conversely, Ruch Chorzów have been Polish Champions 14 times, but only won the league 13 times.

Wikipedia said:
In 1951, the Polish Football Association decided to give the Champion of Poland title to the winner of the Polish Cup, in order to increase the importance of the re-activated cup competition. Ruch Chorzów was 6th in the league, but won the cup, beating 2-0 Wisła Kraków in the final game. However, in the League, Wisła Kraków was first, Górnik Radlin second and Legia Warszawa third.

Last edited:
Yes, there does seem to be some degree of confusion over who were the Polish League Winners and who were the National Champions.

I suppose it's a bit like declaring the winner of the Charity Shield English Champions for the season.

Saturday 29th December 2012:

Q: Who was the first England player in a FIFA World Cup Finals squad to be affiliated with a foreign club?

Sunday 30th December 2012:

How many Olympic Games Mens Football Gold Medals have teams from the Americas won?

Monday 31st December 2012:

Which of the 23 Premier League clubs during 2012 had the worst points per game average?

Tuesday 1st January 2013:

Which of the 23 Premier League clubs conceded the highest number of goals during 2012?

Back