• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and Politics

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
Swiss club denies Egyptian soccer player request to skip Israel match

A4779_zpscd493523.jpg

FC Basel's Mohamed Salah had asked not to travel to Israel for Champions League qualifying match against Maccabi Tel Aviv.

The management team that runs the FC Basel soccer club has informed their Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah that he will be required to make the trip to Israel for the second leg of his squad's Champions League qualifying round against Maccabi Tel Aviv, according to Israel Radio.

Salah asked his Swiss bosses for permission to skip the match, but was refused.

During the first leg, which Basel won by a 1-0 score, Salah refused to shake hands with his Israeli opponents. After the final whistle blew to end the match, the Egyptian midfielder demonstrably left the pitch so as to avoid interacting with his Tel Aviv rivals, according to Israel Radio.

The second leg of the qualifying round is scheduled to take place in Tel Aviv on Tuesday evening.

http://www.jpost.com/Sports/Swiss-c...er-player-request-to-skip-Israel-match-321928

Re: Racist Egyptian Must Play in Tel Aviv

:ross:

Still carrying on with this nonsense eh THFC6061?

:ross:

Still carrying on with this nonsense eh THFC6061?

If it was a white player refusing to play against blacks, we quite literally wouldn't hear the end of it.

So why should an Islamic fascist get a free pass?

If it was a white player refusing to play against blacks, we quite literally wouldn't hear the end of it.

So why should an Islamic fascist get a free pass?

Interesting that you bring this up (and brought up the UAE visa thing multiple times despite being wrong multiple times) and yet have failed to bring up the racism of Beitar Jerusalem. How strange. Must have just slipped your mind right?

Also, again, as with your previous post, you've gotten your comparisons rather mixed up. Salah didn't refuse to play against Jews (or Israelis, seeing as I remember you failed to make the distinction last time), he has already played against Maccabi Tel Aviv. He didn't want to play within Israel itself. Or the country that's been on the Palestinians for the past 40 years.

Nice try though.

Strange also that you go from race to religion, callng him an 'Islamic fascist' despite there being absolutely no indication in that article or elsewhere that his reasoning is shaped by religion. Perhaps you have your own prejudices you'd like to air?

I think I'll leave it there, this conversation will inevitably bring politics in and that is a topic we are supposed to avoid in SNV.

Interesting that you bring this up (and brought up the UAE visa thing multiple times despite being wrong multiple times) and yet have failed to bring up the racism of Beitar Jerusalem. How strange. Must have just slipped your mind right?

Also, again, as with your previous post, you've gotten your comparisons rather mixed up. Salah didn't refuse to play against Jews (or Israelis, seeing as I remember you failed to make the distinction last time), he has already played against Maccabi Tel Aviv. He didn't want to play within Israel itself. Or the country that's been on the Palestinians for the past 40 years.

Nice try though.

Strange also that you go from race to religion, callng him an 'Islamic fascist' despite there being absolutely no indication in that article or elsewhere that his reasoning is shaped by religion. Perhaps you have your own prejudices you'd like to air?

I think I'll leave it there, this conversation will inevitably bring politics in and that is a topic we are supposed to avoid in SNV.

Egypt and Israel have full Diplomatic relations and there has been an unbroken Peace Treaty between the two states ever since 1979 and the Camp David Agreements.

There are no secular restrictions which would prevent the player from visiting Israel.

And yes, he did play against Spurs last season and he scored in the 2-2 draw in Basel.

Egypt and Israel have full Diplomatic relations and there has been an unbroken Peace Treaty between the two states ever since 1979 and the Camp David Agreements.

There are no secular restrictions which would prevent the player from visiting Israel.

And yes, he did play against Spurs last season and he scored in the 2-2 draw in Basel.

Not usually one to delve into political debates on the old inter-web but "Islamic Fascist" (or "Islamo-Facsist as I believe is the 'proper' construction) has got to be the biggest, flimflam, misnomer term of the modern political era, the use of which was begun and pushed by a bunch of chicken hawk, neo cons I believe.

Judeo-Fascists anyone? Christian-Fascists maybe? Buddhists even....the world's a pretty small place and if you look far enough you can suffix the term 'fascist' onto any number of religions based on the actions of a comparatively small group of people. To do so however, is both illogical and unhelpful. Even more so when lazily applying the term to anyone of Muslim descent who happens to adopt a critical stance or opinion towards Israel in regards to its ongoing conflict with Palestine. What about non-muslims who are critical of Israel's position? Anti-Semites I suppose. How about Jews who are so critical? Ah, self-hating Jews of course.

Not usually one to delve into political debates on the old inter-web but "Islamic Fascist" (or "Islamo-Facsist as I believe is the 'proper' construction) has got to be the biggest, flimflam, misnomer term of the modern political era, the use of which was begun and pushed by a bunch of chicken hawk, neo cons I believe.

Judeo-Fascists anyone? Christian-Fascists maybe? Buddhists even....the world's a pretty small place and if you look far enough you can suffix the term 'fascist' onto any number of religions based on the actions of a comparatively small group of people. To do so however, is both illogical and unhelpful. Even more so when lazily applying the term to anyone of Muslim descent who happens to adopt a critical stance or opinion towards Israel in regards to its ongoing conflict with Palestine. What about non-muslims who are critical of Israel's position? Anti-Semites I suppose. How about Jews who are so critical? Ah, self-hating Jews of course.

Nothing to do with racism.
Lock this or change the title mods.

Yes there are, a ton of them. All starting with the Israeli treatment of the Palestinians for the past 45 years.

The Egyptian and Arab leftists/ Seculars/ Atheists I know dislike Israel more than the Islamists do. It is complete nonsense to suggest that any opposition to Israel and what it does to the Palestinians has to come from being an 'Islamo-fascist'. Its a shame when you delve into this topic because your own prejudices and borderline racism it seems towards Arabs comes out.

You know what Sadat said in the Knesset when he spoke? He said we may have just signed a peace agreement but there will never be a true peace between the Arabs and Israel until there is peace with the Palestinians. Until then and until Israel stop treating them like brick (or having Israel's minister of industry for example come out and say he's killed lots of Arabs, which is perfectly normal), there won't be a real peace between citizens.

As I said earlier though, I'm sure it just slipped your mind and you'll be starting a topic on the 'Judeo-fascism' of Beitar any day now. Something about their fans beating up an Arab in a shopping centre, chanting 'death to Arabs' in matches and trying to burn part of the club when they signed 2 Muslim (not even Arab) players.

Edit: And politically, I know Salah is against political Islam in Egypt actually.

Nothing to do with racism.
Lock this or change the title mods.

Title fits the content fine as far as I can see. Might shift this over to Random but there's a very strict no football rule over there.

Title fits the content fine as far as I can see. Might shift this over to Random but there's a very strict no football rule over there.

You must be reading it wrong then. ;)

Bit of a problem where to put this, you're not really supposed to have football in random or non football in SNV.

What's this about the UAE visa thing? I live in the UAE so I'm intrigued.

Back