• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Fair Play

Re: O/T Financial Fair Play

Yeah.

Was mentioned on a podcast I listened to the other day (either football weekly or second captains, can't remember) that one of PSG's sponsorship deals will grow in the next couple of years to where that one deal will be worth more than Manchester United's entire current sponsorship revenue. And that one deal doesn't even get that company on PSG's shirts. And the deal even included back payment for a previous season before the company actually sponsored PSG.

There isn't a more clear cut test of UEFA's market value fairness whatever clause. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

It was Football Weekly, they had Philippe Auclair on.

How many of the £299 season tickets are there? The price is often mentioned, but the number never seems to be for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use this to justify the large sponsorship in someway, "we work with our partners to improve the match day experience for our fans, as they are the most important part of the club" etc etc which the press and fan groups will lap up, despite it being pretty obvious that the fans who actually turn up at the ground have never been less important to PL clubs

Does anybody actually believe anything about FFP now?

It's obvious the spending at Barca/Real/City/Cheat$ki/PSG/etc has not gone down, will not go down.

No doubt they will make an example of some mid table struggler at some point who overspends, but the money doping clubs have already had their conversations with UEFA and know they are going to get away with it.

The idea that anyone at UEFA or FIFA was going to stop people with large amounts of money to throw at football was always far-fetched.

They will find a few suitable targets to show their "seriousness". Which was the Spanish team fined for not paying debts or players ... Malaga? Or possibly Anzhi now they seem to have lost their benefactor. They can punish them.

It's obvious the spending at Barca/Real/City/Cheat$ki/PSG/etc has not gone down, will not go down.

No doubt they will make an example of some mid table struggler at some point who overspends, but the money doping clubs have already had their conversations with UEFA and know they are going to get away with it.

I don't think that Chelsea would have sold Mata this week if it wasn't for FFP. It is being phased in over a number of seasons and it is also judged over a period of time rather than on one set of results. I think that it is still too early to judge how it will be enforced and whether it is effective.

I will continue to believe that FFP was put in place primarily to stop clubs from going into debt they cannot handle putting their future at serious risk and that UEFA isn't motivated to stop rich people who want to inject large sums of money into football.

I don't think that Chelsea would have sold Mata this week if it wasn't for FFP. It is being phased in over a number of seasons and it is also judged over a period of time rather than on one set of results. I think that it is still too early to judge how it will be enforced and whether it is effective.

I think all of this is true.

I just can't ever see them following through and banning a club like Emirates Marketing Project or Real Madrid from the Champions League. UEFA won't get as much revenue if the big boys are not in the competition.

I just can't ever see them following through and banning a club like Emirates Marketing Project or Real Madrid from the Champions League. UEFA won't get as much revenue if the big boys are not in the competition.

Banning a club from European competition is the ultimate sanction though, there are lots of smaller penalties.

Emirates Marketing Project aren't a big boy in terms of global following. I doubt UEFA or the broadcasters give two hoots whether they are in the CL or not.

I will continue to believe that FFP was put in place primarily to stop clubs from going into debt they cannot handle putting their future at serious risk and that UEFA isn't motivated to stop rich people who want to inject large sums of money into football.

The stated motivation (e.g. from Platini) was to stop unfair injection of money as at Chelsea and now City, PSG, etc. The rules seemed designed to maintain the status quo and prevent such spending (if enforced strictly).

At the same time the rules do nothing to stop the likes of the Glazers or Hicks-Gillett making a leveraged takeover and putting the club in heavily debt. While you can argue United can afford it, Liverpool couldn't and had to be saved with a takeover aided by a friendly judge.

The stated motivation (e.g. from Platini) was to stop unfair injection of money as at Chelsea and now City, PSG, etc. The rules seemed designed to maintain the status quo and prevent such spending (if enforced strictly).

At the same time the rules do nothing to stop the likes of the Glazers or Hicks-Gillett making a leveraged takeover and putting the club in heavily debt. While you can argue United can afford it, Liverpool couldn't and had to be saved with a takeover aided by a friendly judge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Financial_Fair_Play_Regulations

On announcing the new legislation, UEFA President Michel Platini said,

Fifty per cent of clubs are losing money and this is an increasing trend. We needed to stop this downward spiral. They have spent more than they have earned in the past and haven't paid their debts. We don't want to kill or hurt the clubs; on the contrary, we want to help them in the market. The teams who play in our tournaments have unanimously agreed to our principles…living within your means is the basis of accounting but it hasn't been the basis of football for years now. The owners are asking for rules because they can't implement them themselves - many of them have had it with shovelling money into clubs and the more money you put into clubs, the harder it is to sell at a profit.[1]

Although he talks about money being shoveled into clubs he mentions that in the context of owners not wanting to do that any more, owners being prevented from selling the clubs and making a profit by the previous system. This is essentially the opposite of Chelsea/City/PSG. He specifically talks about clubs losing money, spending more than they earn, not paying their debt and living within your means. Possibly the behaviour of clubs like Chelsea was mentioned elsewhere, but statements like these indicate quite strongly that the target at the very least included the poorly run clubs. Possibly in addition to stopping unfair injections of money like at Chelsea, although I don't personally remember that.

There were reports of 60+ clubs in large and medium sized European leagues with debt that could potentially cripple them and force them out of business, I think the vast majority of these examples weren't from debt being piled on clubs like the Glazers did when buying United, but debt accumulated over time from transfers and wages - essentially clubs spending more than they earned.

Edit: Feel free to post any contradicting quotes from Platini or UEFA where they say what you claimed.

Most of the clubs in debt and in trouble are not in European competition.

Platini has regularly made is position clear on clubs with an unfair advantage. To him unacceptable debt was clubs like Chelsea.

E.g. from 2008 ...

Uefa is to launch an investigation into the major financial challenges facing European football, including club debts and the inequality between rich and poor teams. A panel of legal and financial experts will carry out the inquiry, announced in Monaco yesterday, and make recommendations on how to create what Michel Platini, Uefa's president, described as "a level playing field" between clubs.

Platini said his major concern is the high level of debt carried by some clubs, reiterating his opinion that clubs are "cheating" when they buy players they cannot afford. He insisted he was not referring to English clubs alone - Manchester United and Chelsea owe a combined total of £1.5bn according to their most recent accounts - pointing to clubs elsewhere in Europe, including Celta Vigo in Spain, which have over-reached themselves financially and collapsed, as Leeds United did five years ago. "European football must be clean and transparent and we do not want clubs buying success on credit," Platini said.

More: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/aug/29/europeanfootball

United's debt has nothing to do with unfair playing field (quite the opposite) so possibly this reveals his main agenda.

Last edited:

JTS:

Many of the clubs in debt and in trouble got into that by aiming for European football and (sooner or later) failing. Like Leeds, budgeting for CL football every season. But putting a potential glass ceiling for how far clubs can get by overspending at only domestic success UEFA limit the motivation for that overspending significantly. It becomes much less appealing for a chairman or owner to gamble with the club's future by taking big loans because even if they succeed they won't break that glass ceiling. Thus the kind of gamble that Leeds made has less of a reward and is at least theoretically less likely to happen.

Once again in your quote he's talking about debt, the potential for a collapse, buying success on credit. Not straight up cash injections.

Besides that, talk is relatively cheap from Platini and the associations. We will see what they end up doing with clubs like PSG when the time comes, but personally I don't think the FFP regulations are set up to stop teams like Chelsea and City at least. (PSG are a different beast at the moment, like I said - we'll see.) On the other hand the regulations are set up to prevent Leeds style overspending if UEFA want to enforce it.

Which agenda is it you're hinting to about Manchester United? Did any of Platini's quotes include anything about United? Seems to me that the United part was added for information by the journalist...

Sorry, was a little misled on my 'facts' yesterday. Instead of just ticket revenue, its match day income which has nearly doubled. Not quite as impressive considering how low it is in proportion to our league position, but still.

I don't think UEFA would have any worries expelling us from European football. We aren't a massive club at all, we have only just qualified past the group stages for the first time. I would say the same for PSG, but Platini won't kick them out because of the familial ties which have been curiously overlooked whenever a UEFA executive has spoken out...

Sorry, was a little misled on my 'facts' yesterday. Instead of just ticket revenue, its match day income which has nearly doubled. Not quite as impressive considering how low it is in proportion to our league position, but still.

How did it happen if attendances stayed similar? Did they increase the price of hot dogs or beer, or increase the cost of certain corporate boxes for Middle Eastern gentlemen, or just because you got further in the cups, or Europe?

How did it happen if attendances stayed similar? Did they increase the price of hot dogs or beer, or increase the cost of certain corporate boxes for Middle Eastern gentlemen, or just because you got further in the cups, or Europe?

A lot of it has been because of increased participation in competitions, but even in a lot of these games we sold more tickets. It was well publicised among a few posters on here that we weren't selling out (for want of a better phrase ;)) for Champions League games, and rightly so. We weren't even getting close, even against teams like Dortmund and Madrid. But I believe we sold out for the first time, against Bayern this season. This combined with higher prices in more desirable places, and a better experience here (things like padded seats are in these seats for regular season ticket holders).

In terms of food and drink, it's a hot dog and a beer for £4.50. I don't get to many away games so I don't know how that compares, but it's always been too high for me anyway.

Comparing the year on year figures in Deloitte's reports shows:

Revenue
Matchday
Broadcasting
Commercial
TOTAL
£m
£m
Most of the £40m increase has come from greater commercial income; although the exact nature of this additional income seems rather mysterious. Matchday income only accounts for £8.8m of the increase. I suspect that when Emirates Marketing Project eventually release their annual report we will see that most of the extra matchday income has come from hospitality, catering, etc. and very little from gate receipts.

its funny isn't it, for clubs like city gate receipts are less and less important each season, its almost at the point where they could play in an empty stadium every other week without impacting on the bottom line

In terms of food and drink, it's a hot dog and a beer for £4.50. I don't get to many away games so I don't know how that compares, but it's always been too high for me anyway.

very favourably, in my experience its nearly double that at most places

Back