• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Fair Play

Re: O/T Financial Fair Play

We're 13th in the new Deloitte 'rich list'.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfo...s-deloitte-s-football-money-league-2013.aspx?

Interesting that Saudi Sportswashing Machine have broken in at 20th. I guess the power of the Prem deals and their big gates have swung it for them.

Presumably we will slip down the Deloitte table next year on the back of our revenue fall just reported.

I'd guess we'll still be 6th amongst the English clubs, can't see Toon overtaking us.

With regards to 'financial fair play' Spain is an embarrassment. Their big two head the list and that's it for the top 20.

City make more commercially than Barca or Real ? fudge off.

I don't blame you for defending your team, but it's the Emirates Marketing Project fans that just shrug off the fact that they have money and act like they would have got to where they are today regardless of the money.

I wouldn't even put your club in the top 7 biggest clubs in England, so there's no way you'd be attracting these kind of deals without Sheikh Mansour and his money.

Oh yeah, any fan that acts like that should be slapped. On the pitch, we were okay. Our academy was in a good place, and we were pushing for Europa League each season. But to say we'd be champions by now is delusional. Personally, I don't know any City fan. We still constantly expect the worst, and everyone who sits around me in the ground are the same doom-and-gloom pessimists as under Shinawatra.

Last season was a perfect storm for us, commercially. We won the league, and we were the first team to bring in massive sponsorship deals. After this season, where we probably won't win the league and other teams' deals are considered, we'll slide down the table again. Come on, keep up.

Oh yeah, any fan that acts like that should be slapped. On the pitch, we were okay. Our academy was in a good place, and we were pushing for Europa League each season. But to say we'd be champions by now is delusional. Personally, I don't know any City fan. We still constantly expect the worst, and everyone who sits around me in the ground are the same doom-and-gloom pessimists as under Shinawatra.

Last season was a perfect storm for us, commercially. We won the league, and we were the first team to bring in massive sponsorship deals. After this season, where we probably won't win the league and other teams' deals are considered, we'll slide down the table again. Come on, keep up.

Assuming commercial deals are offered on a year by year basis?

Teams don't get big commercial deals based on a single year of performing well. Unless of course the investor is linked to the owner of the club.

HI Wriggly, well 4-4-2 are presumably only quoting Deloitte. But the way I read it that's not true anyway. According to my tired old eyes the graphics showCity make less commercially than Real, Barca, oh and Man U for local interest :)

Last edited:

More evidence that Real Madrid are indeed the biggest club in the world, not Man United.

I know this is old news, but I still can't figure out how Emirates Marketing Project can pocket so much money from Etihad Airways for naming rights of Eastlands, and yet they are paying very little of that revenue back to the Emirates Marketing Project council, who actually own the stadium.

If Man Utd were allowed to negotiate their own TV deal - as Real and Barca do, I believe - then they would be up there with the Spanish duo.

English Premier League football club Manchester United are the world's first professional sports team to be valued at more than $3 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

A recent surge in the club's shares after a poor start when they were offered on the New York Stock Exchange last year has boosted Manchester United's value to $3.3 billion, a report on Forbes' website said on Monday.

The increase has United, English champions a record 19 times, comfortably ahead of the world's second-most valuable sports team, the National Football League's Dallas Cowboys, worth $2.1 billion.

Forbes put the surge in United shares down to brighter earnings prospects from new sponsorship deals and said the demand could continue given the team's potential for lucrative payouts in the EPL and Champions League.

United, who claim to have 659 million followers worldwide, are owned by the American Glazer family who retained a tight grip on the club after the flotation on the New York Stock Exchange.

United shares closed 41 cents lower at $16.48 in New York on Monday.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/118608/default.aspx

Premier League Fulham are now clear of debt after owner Mohamed Al Fayed converted loans totalling more than 200 million pounds into shares in the club.

Al Fayed, the former owner of the Harrods department store, bought Fulham in 1997 and has seen them establish themselves in the Premier League.

"Following the previous season's announcement of record profits, the most significant development is the Club ending the financial year with no debt, having repaid any external indebtedness and Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed converting his previous loans to the Club into equity," the club said on their website.

Fulham made an operating profit of 1.2 million pounds in the 2011/12 season, down from more than five million pounds the previous year.

fourfourtwo.com/news/england/118651/default.aspx

So, Fulham are just given a £200m injection, just like that? What a joke.

Two hundred million pounds.

Imagine how many good players that should buy.

In other news, from the Leeds thread in case you missed it - going out of the FA Cup could help us financially IF it enables us to get into the CL

Tottenham Hotspur’s FA Cup exit on Sunday brought renewed suggestions that Andre Villas-Boas doesn’t ‘get’ English football. Perhaps not. But he might just get Champions League football instead, especially now that his team have been spared between one and four weekends of domestic cup action. Losing to Leeds could be the best thing that’s happened to Spurs all season.

Chelsea are drifting towards the end of the season like a broken down canal boat on a family holiday gone horribly wrong. No-one can be sure if Arsenal are a good team who occasionally play badly, or a bad team who occasionally play well.

The Manchester clubs might be out of reach, but third place is wide open. Never mind Harry Redknapp’s fourth place finishes, Villas-Boas will never get a better chance to finish third and move directly to the Champions League group stages. That, I’m heartbroken to say, is far more important than a day out at Wembley.

I don’t want football to be like this, obviously. I want football to be about glory and magical moments and the steps up to Wembley and a big day out. But it isn’t about that anymore. It’s about money.

Don’t believe me? Then why did John W Henry insist that he would have sacked Kenny Dalglish whether he’d won the FA Cup last year or not? Why did Chelsea disentangle themselves from Jose Mourinho in 2007, just a few months after he’d won the FA Cup and the League Cup?

Why is it, that for all the glorious giant-killing of the last weekend, we can’t avoid noticing that all of the leading clubs fielded weakened sides? Because the FA Cup doesn’t really matter, that’s why. It’s quite possible that Villas-Boas ‘gets’ English football rather more than his critics.

If it was down to me, I’d have automatic Champions League places for the Premier League champions, the FA Cup winners and the League Cup winners. I’d toss a play-off place to the league runners-up and everyone else could scrap it out in the Europa League.

That’s what you do if you want a game where glory means more than balance sheets. Sadly, they don’t let people like me make these decisions. There’d be too much whining about the possible damage to our co-efficients, as if that should ever be a consideration when it comes to rewarding actual, tangible success.

Arsene Wenger has said numerous times that finishing third is essentially like winning a trophy. It hasn’t made up for the lack of real trophies, but it doesn’t stop him being right.

Roberto di Matteo said that the best thing about Chelsea winning the Champions League was that it enabled Chelsea to qualify for the Champions League. You may remember that, it was the day you glanced over at cricket and wondered if it might be more a rewarding use of your time.

It’s horrible, it’s rancid, it’s vomit-in-your-mouth-and-swallow-it-back-down-again-while-trying-not-to-cry awful, but it’s the truth. It’s modern football.

Tottenham earned £25.3m in TV and prize money from their last Champions League campaign. They’d pick up approximately £3.5m in prize money if they won the FA Cup.

With a Champions League run, you can buy better players, you can pay your good players better wages, you can convince your stars to stick around and you can lure new ones in. By pouring money all over it, UEFA have turned the Champions League from a competition into a way of life. Inside the velvet rope, clubs can grow fat and happy. Outside, they can only dream of what might be.

Now…tell me again that Villas-Boas doesn’t ‘get’ English football.

What a shame we don't have owners who will back us like City Chelsea and now it seems Fulham.

What a shame we don't have owners who will back us like City Chelsea and now it seems Fulham.

Now?

He's been bankrolling Fulham for longer than the combined years that Abramovich and Mansour have been at Chelsea and City.

Just not to quite the same eye catching extent.

The fact that he has only recently converted his loans into equity is a mere technicality. He was never going to call in those loans.

All Al Fayed has done is convert loans to equity. The money's already been accounted for. No new moneys coming in.

It's the money that got Fulham promoted and has kept them out of relegation trouble since. Not exactly fair on the other teams.

Maybe but in reality it changed nothing. Al Fayed would never have called upon that debt.

Maybe but in reality it changed nothing. Al Fayed would never have called upon that debt.

It didn't change anything NOW, but it has done over the years. This is just to comply with FFP. Fulham happen to be one of only a few clubs to oppose bringing that to the PL.

I'm not sure it makes much difference for FFP. The FFP rules do nothing to stop a club from keeping large debts or to stop a Glazer or H&G type takeover. Ironically it allows speculators to load debt on the club for no reason other than enriching themselves, but blocks an owner injecting money for players and other football related purposes.

In Fulham's case Al Fayed would be limited in what he could inject each year, but he could have kept the debt.

AFAK, Fayed has pumped a lot of his own money into Fulham. Much more than ENIC have pumped into us. May be wrong, of course.

Back