• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Finance on TVs

One shouldnt be spending above their means and on any luxuries which cannot be afforded or paid of at any given date, should the debt be called in. This is what gets people into trouble and i have little sympathy or those who wish to keep up with the jones's but have no back up.

As I said earlier in the thread, I can afford it just not in one large lump. Dont see why theres stigma about finance? I understand yours and P D's points but I am not one of these people with maxed credit cards (never owned one altho may need to get one to build up credit score) or in debt with loans and catalogues or whatever else... Ive always spent what Ive got. Due to my poor credit raiting my dad got a loan for me to get a car 4yrs ago as my one died and decided it was time to get one that would last. I pay him 300 a month through a standing order so sadly this doesnt contribute towards my credit score. The payments finish in April so I will be 300pcm better off which in my eyes means I can comfortably afford a decent TV

Ive got 500 from the Insurance company to replace my stolen tv (in the form of an Amazon voucher) any recommendations ? Would like something around 40" ish - will mainly be used for PS3 and Blu ray

Edit : totally misread the thread title, sorry to hijack Edgy

Not at all mate feel free lol. Maybe worth editing the title to include TV advice too as I wanted to ask what the main differences in features from the Samsung 3D LED 6300 50" Smart TV and the Samsung 3D LED 8000 55" Smart TV. theres a difference over about 500 quid in price and looks wise they are pretty different (the screen on the 8000 literally goes to the edge of the TV, hardly any frame).

Try LG models as they are decent TVs and pretty sure you can get LED for around 400-500. Dont get Plasma as after time you get a ghosting effect... Which when gaming you'll find your HUD burns into the display with prolonged use. My dads had Sky Sports News ticker tape perminantley burned into his. Colours may be better but with LED you get deeper blacks which make for better definition

Last edited:
Yeah you have to inform the SLC otherwise you will keep paying it until they get notified in September. This means you will get a repayment but as we all know HMRC will take an eternity to send you the repayment.
I didn't inform them and it just stopped going out one month (I knew it was close-ish but nothing precise). Does seem a pretty amateurish setup to do it all from the yearly returns though.

Got my overpayment back just before Christmas, was my money of course but still nice to get 500 notes that I didn't think I had \o/

One shouldnt be spending above their means and on any luxuries which cannot be afforded or paid of at any given date, should the debt be called in. This is what gets people into trouble and i have little sympathy or those who wish to keep up with the jones's but have no back up.

Well said

Unfortunately millions of Britons were encouraged to do just that during the last Labour government

Credit limits of £70K across half a dozen credit cards and loans

Huge mortgages with little or no equity (or negative equity in the case of Northern Rock)

Increase the interest rates to 15% tomorrow and see what happens to this country!!!

I would tinkle myself laughing as 50% of landlords hand back the keys to their second, third and fourth homes

Everybody is living on the never never, including the government

It's a fudging disgrace, as Didier would say

Spitshiney - is that aimed at Edgey? Not sure that's what he was looking for :-k (although undoubtedly well meant and something i 100% agree with)

Southie -Totally agree on the runaway train that the last 20years credit boom was and i would say the final 5 years of extra 'boom' (looked to be stalling around 2002) has put us in the big dark hole we are in at the moment, a hole with no painless way out.
The govt thought that if the majority felt good, felt flush, they would be happy about the way the country was being run. Politically makes sense but the lack of understanding of what was actually going on beggars belief. I suppose it suited them so why rock the boat.
There is no silver bullet and i would say low interest rates is just dragging this whole issue into decades not years. BUT as you say high interest rates (and we could be talking about 6%, not 15%) will see not just the amateur landlords but a whole raft of people going underwater. Politically it is much safer to keep people in their homes, as losing your home and a homelessness problem escalating would be suicide for any govt. Not that they have any reasonable alternative options.
Of course much of the loan liabilities of the banks are still secured on (overvalued) private and commercial property (and continuous lending to big failing companies) and any crash brought on by repo's and forced selling could create another balance sheet crisis so all the time people are on rock bottom interest rates and just about sevicing their loans and the housing market is nothing more than stagnant keeps things just about spluttering along. All the time the govt provide a lending facility of 0.5% the banks are still making a nice margin lending at 4-5%, prblem is all the sensible people like savers and pensioners are getting screwed because of this.

Like you say a good sharp shock of a shake out is what is required, we can then reach the bottom and start heading up again.

Should've expected the "people like you caused the crash" replies... I was only looking for advice tho guys if I wanted a telling off I woulda asked ;)

Anyway got the answers I need except for the major differences between the 6300 and 8000 TVs... Anyone?

Would the honourable member please update the forum regarding his anticipated purchase
of a luxury TV and how he intends to manage his cash flow in light of this?

Regards

Due to my credit score Im gonna go the old fashioned route of saving. Loans or finance are not options for me unfortunately so gonna have to wait till the end of the year for this TV by looks of it. Worth it tho

Well the next big thing is the 4k TVs and OLED which are ridiculously expensive. A 4k TV retails around 8000 quid and bout 12000 for a 4k OLED (large size btw... 60-70"). But they are not really pushing them for release due to there being no 4k content available.

But I'd be well happy with the one Im after, and yes it will be cheaper by then. I got a cheap 40" LCD TV from Tesco for bout 400 quid and its lasted over 2yrs and would probably last a fair few more too

As long as you don't get any ideas above your station(excuse the pun). When your credit is repaired, then you can look at the OLED tv's.

As long as you don't get any ideas above your station(excuse the pun). When your credit is repaired, then you can look at the OLED tv's.

Yeah I feel I may need to get a credit card and use it sparingly but pay it off regularly just to get my credit score up... Never know when I will need it, rent a house, buy a car, etc.

Back