• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Finance on TVs

edgey-the-yid

Gheorge Popescu
Anyone know where I can buy a Samsung 55" 3D LED 8000 series TV on finance? Its that or do it the boring old fashioned way and save up... Which means I wont get it till late in the yr. I dont own credit cards and cant get a loan from my bank coz i still go into my overdraft monthly.

If you go into your overdraft monthly then perhaps you shouldn't be getting a tv on finance? No offence but its luxuries that people carried on buying on credit that helped to cause this crash.

Plus they will probably update it soon, most manufacturers release a new set of models in April, I'd wait till then first.

If you go into your overdraft monthly then perhaps you shouldn't be getting a tv on finance? No offence but its luxuries that people carried on buying on credit that helped to cause this crash.

Plus they will probably update it soon, most manufacturers release a new set of models in April, I'd wait till then first.

Ive never had a credit card and only ever had 1 loan of 2k almost 10yrs ago so I hardly fit into the bracket of people who buy luxuries they cant afford. I live pretty modestly in comparrison to many. As for the overdraft, i got a 400 overdraft years ago and just by (bad) habit when my wage goes in I count the OD. I can afford the TV (otherwise I wouldnt wanna get it) just not in one lump.. Its about 1,600 cheapest i found (2,400 RRP) yeah theres new models and 4k on the horizon but tjose 4k tvs are 8k or more atm. I plan on keeping this TV for 5yrs or so hence why Im going for Samsungs flagship model.

So now all the finger pointing for the crash is done, can anyone actually help me with the OP?

Anyone know where I can buy a Samsung 55" 3D LED 8000 series TV on finance? Its that or do it the boring old fashioned way and save up... Which means I wont get it till late in the yr. I dont own credit cards and cant get a loan from my bank coz i still go into my overdraft monthly.

Really depends how much the tv is to buy outright. They come down alot when other models are brought onto the market

I buy stuff on finance but only if its interest free. I have the cash to buy something outright but for cash flow it kinda makes sense to spread it out - in case of those real emergencies. You are correct though in that it can go wrong with people getting carried away and before they know it they have all these direct debits coming out of their account on pay day that they got no money for the month. I suppose as long as you got the cash to pay for it outright then you shouldnt have too many problems in terms of running out so to speak.

Edgey - I dont use home catalogue shopping but Littlewoods etc do interest free finance for a year - so you can spread it out over a year i.e. 120 quid a month for example.

I buy stuff on finance but only if its interest free. I have the cash to buy something outright but for cash flow it kinda makes sense to spread it out - in case of those real emergencies. You are correct though in that it can go wrong with people getting carried away and before they know it they have all these direct debits coming out of their account on pay day that they got no money for the month. I suppose as long as you got the cash to pay for it outright then you shouldnt have too many problems in terms of running out so to speak.

Edgey - I dont use home catalogue shopping but Littlewoods etc do interest free finance for a year - so you can spread it out over a year i.e. 120 quid a month for example.

Yeah was thinking of going down the catalogue route if I cant get finance. Or just wait till April when my holidays paid for and see how much it is by then... After all its dropped from 2,400 to 1,700 in most places altho I have found it on eBay for 1,400.

Why don't u apply for a 0% on purchases credit card? I know U don't do credit cards but 0% isn't costing u anything extra

If you think you are ok for credit then

Apply for 0% credit card (for new spending) best halifax, tesco, m+s in that order (17 months 0% on halifax)

Check online for best possible deal on your TV of choice. (comparison or google)

Then either pop down to John Lewis, ask them to price match, get a free 5yr warranty thrown in and free delivery OR

purchase it through Quidco or topcashback for a nice little % rebate.

Littlewoods etc may have 0% interest but compare their prices to the cheapest elsewhere. (usually a big difference)

Do the CCard above and as long as you're sensible you can have your cake and eat it. (if you're worried about a card, destroy it as soon as you have made the purchase)

Well I think in the boom years peoples standard of living went up so every family owned 2 cars, 2/3 holidays a year, latest gadgets updated annually. It was a credit lust frenzy.

Evidently the original poster doesnt fall into this category so go for it but I try not to buy anything before I have saved up for it now and thats just because I am terrible with finances. After uni graduated and got a bank loan, extended it, credit cards etc and have now paid it all off apart from 6K luckily which is mostly just furniture for my new flat and will all be gone by the end of the year luckily.

Well I think in the boom years peoples standard of living went up so every family owned 2 cars, 2/3 holidays a year, latest gadgets updated annually. It was a credit lust frenzy.

Evidently the original poster doesnt fall into this category so go for it but I try not to buy anything before I have saved up for it now and thats just because I am terrible with finances. After uni graduated and got a bank loan, extended it, credit cards etc and have now paid it all off apart from 6K luckily which is mostly just furniture for my new flat and will all be gone by the end of the year luckily.

I recently paid off student loan - what an awesome feeling. I had a lot of student loan. Its like free money now cos I was so used to having the loan taken out - it was like a tax for me haha.

I just moved to my new flat spent a fortune on doing it up etc all thats left is the kitchen to do as its a brickhole but ill leave that for a couple of months as I dont wanna spend 3-5k on it now.

I agree though about the whole saving up before buying something BUT there is a case for interest free credit as it would just improve your cash position as long as there is recognition of the liability for the next year or two.

But thats the point though it seems good but then your cash flow is restricted, it might seem fine for a few months but committing for something longer than 12 months is a bit silly as you have no idea what your going to be doing after that imo.

And yeah nice feeling to have paid of my student loan as well though because the students loans company dont maintain an up to date balance as the info they have depends on when they get an update from HMRC turns out I still owe £200. Cant believe in this day and age that they cant provide a more automated data feed than once a year in May which is all they currently do.

Turns out my credit score is pretty pump due to a court dispute over 2,330 quid I was said to have owed to Stagecoach 2010.
The fee was settled in July 2012 yet is still a big red mark on my credit. Plus apparently being 29 is also a red mark.

My only options seem to be a catalogue (as they take on anyone) or have a chat with my bank managrr bout getting a loan whereby I can pay my overdraft off too... Convince them to take a risk on me. Altho I know its low risk I need to convince them

But thats the point though it seems good but then your cash flow is restricted, it might seem fine for a few months but committing for something longer than 12 months is a bit silly as you have no idea what your going to be doing after that imo.

And yeah nice feeling to have paid of my student loan as well though because the students loans company dont maintain an up to date balance as the info they have depends on when they get an update from HMRC turns out I still owe £200. Cant believe in this day and age that they cant provide a more automated data feed than once a year in May which is all they currently do.

Yeah you have to inform the SLC otherwise you will keep paying it until they get notified in September. This means you will get a repayment but as we all know HMRC will take an eternity to send you the repayment.

The only thing I can think of is just asking a mate to lend you money and then buy one but in all seriousness just save up - as your situation doesnt seem to be the best (im assuming of course)

Edgey dude - sort it out haha It will be a black mark against you for six to seven years. So will any searches so make sure you dont just apply to anywhere in the hope of getting something.

One shouldnt be spending above their means and on any luxuries which cannot be afforded or paid of at any given date, should the debt be called in. This is what gets people into trouble and i have little sympathy or those who wish to keep up with the jones's but have no back up.

Turns out my credit score is pretty pump due to a court dispute over 2,330 quid I was said to have owed to Stagecoach 2010.
The fee was settled in July 2012 yet is still a big red mark on my credit. Plus apparently being 29 is also a red mark.

My only options seem to be a catalogue (as they take on anyone) or have a chat with my bank managrr bout getting a loan whereby I can pay my overdraft off too... Convince them to take a risk on me. Altho I know its low risk I need to convince them

Loan rates have been coming down recently. Lots of cheap cash from the goverment to lend out. Not that they lend it to small businesses, lets get consumers spending (ie more debt) senseless:(.

Anyway, surprisingly banks used to be a bit reluctant to lend you smaller amounts and rather you commited to a larger sum. However what i notice at the moment is smaller amounts (upto £3k) are at ridiculous % rates (15-20%) and only once you borrow £5k or more do they drop to something sensible (7%)

Over 7.5k - Tesco will do 5.2% (that is cheap)

Your bank maybe more accomodating of your request as you want to roll up your overdraft debt into the loan.

Ive got 500 from the Insurance company to replace my stolen tv (in the form of an Amazon voucher) any recommendations ? Would like something around 40" ish - will mainly be used for PS3 and Blu ray

Edit : totally misread the thread title, sorry to hijack Edgy

One shouldnt be spending above their means and on any luxuries which cannot be afforded or paid of at any given date, should the debt be called in. This is what gets people into trouble and i have little sympathy or those who wish to keep up with the jones's but have no back up.

Well said

Unfortunately millions of Britons were encouraged to do just that during the last Labour government

Credit limits of £70K across half a dozen credit cards and loans

Huge mortgages with little or no equity (or negative equity in the case of Northern Rock)

Increase the interest rates to 15% tomorrow and see what happens to this country!!!

I would tinkle myself laughing as 50% of landlords hand back the keys to their second, third and fourth homes

Everybody is living on the never never, including the government

It's a fudging disgrace, as Didier would say

Back