• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Federico Fazio

3 Europa League wins in 9 years is pretty good.

It is.

But the post to which I was replying talked about "recent seasons", specifically in relation to Fazio. And he wasn't a part of the team that won back to back UEFA Cups in 2006 and 2007.

More recently, they have languished for a couple of seasons down in 9th.

BvzlMzHCYAAwQLL.jpg

:ross: ^^^^^ is that Faz boarding?? do Ryanair offer extra legroom seats???? bloody eck, at 6ft 5 he sure had problems if they dont :lol:

He could get better but why take the chance. We need players that we are 90% certain will be good not getting players on the cheap :(

Who is that 90% certain centre back that we can attract and afford?

Look at some of the fees being paid for centre backs this summer, David Luiz, Rojo and Lovren just to name three. I wouldn't call any of those 90% certain personally, and they've all gone for what I consider to be tons of money to clubs with more pulling power.

:ross: ^^^^^ is that Faz boarding?? do Ryanair offer extra legroom seats???? bloody eck, at 6ft 5 he sure had problems if they dont :lol:

I'm 6'6" and always take the seats at the overwing emergency exits. More space for your legs.
(It costs a bit more, so I'm not sure if Levy paid for it.)

Who is that 90% certain centre back that we can attract and afford?

Look at some of the fees being paid for centre backs this summer, David Luiz, Rojo and Lovren just to name three. I wouldn't call any of those 90% certain personally, and they've all gone for what I consider to be tons of money to clubs with more pulling power.

Well yeah thats my point we are getting him because he is cheap and might be good. I would rather pay more for some one who is more suited but Poch obviously knows more than me. But lacking pace is a big problem in this league.

And if we can't afford any more then maybe its more sensible not to risk the transfer and get another Chiriches who doesn't look like he is going to have a future here.

So we are signing a player who was below Demichelis in the Argentina pecking order for the world cup? :rolleyes:

But Dier is not 27, coming into his prime and playing in 1 of the top 3 leagues in the world.

Why not wait and see what he is like? He's been first choice at a more successful club than Spurs. His style of play seems better suited to Poch's preferred style of play than Dawson. And our signings so far this summer seem to have been pretty good so far. How many people thought that Lovren was a good signing a year ago?

Well yeah thats my point we are getting him because he is cheap and might be good. I would rather pay more for some one who is more suited but Poch obviously knows more than me. But lacking pace is a big problem in this league.

And if we can't afford any more then maybe its more sensible not to risk the transfer and get another Chiriches who doesn't look like he is going to have a future here.

It's hard to gauge how good Fazio is... sounds lanky and slow, like Mertesacker... turned into a bit of a legend at his club... won the Europa (we didn't).

His manager and other players are gutted to see him go and say they will struggle to find anyone that could possibly fill his shoes, e.g.

Sevilla manager Unai Emery has confirmed Federico Fazio has all but left the club. #THFC
Emery: "Fazio is gone. Well, is going to go." #THFC
Emery: "We won't find a footballer like Fazio." #THFC

Sevilla manager Unai Emery has admitted Federico Fazio has drastically improved in recent times. #THFC
Emery: "When I arrived he was a much criticised player and almost going to leave for a much lower sum to this one." #THFC
Emery: "He has improved a lot, his performance level has been so high that his clause has now become small." #THFC
Emery: "Fazio is worth more than that (€10M clause) but these are the rules of the game." #THFC

When Mertesacker first went to the goons, I thought he was sh1te. But as he settled in (and they have found the right centre-back partner for him), he's looked a class act imo.

Not really. They won the Europa League last year, which was obviously a great success, but they have otherwise been at a similar or lower level in La Liga over the past few years compared to us in the Premier League.
Yes really. In the past 5 years (reasonable definition of recent?), they have won the EL and Spanish Cup we have won NOTHING. In the past 10 years IF you want to go back that far, they have won 3 ELs and 2 Spanish cups compared to our one Lge Cup, the most minor of major trophies in England.

So I stand by and repeat what I said, and suggest you check Wikipedia :)

Why not wait and see what he is like? He's been first choice at a more successful club than Spurs. His style of play seems better suited to Poch's preferred style of play than Dawson. And our signings so far this summer seem to have been pretty good so far. How many people thought that Lovren was a good signing a year ago?

This, especially if we are shipping out Dawson, we need a little experience, and while he's 27, that's considerably younger than Dawson and good age for a defender.

Re the other poster and national team, as someone mentioned, Tevez didn't get on the bench, also we could all probably name a few players who don't make England's team yet are worth buying.

Yes really. In the past 5 years (reasonable definition of recent?), they have won the EL and Spanish Cup we have won NOTHING. In the past 10 years IF you want to go back that far, they have won 3 ELs and 2 Spanish cups compared to our one Lge Cup, the most minor of major trophies in England.

So I stand by and repeat what I said, and suggest you check Wikipedia :)

They have been more successful in terms of cups, certainly. And I definitely wouldn't knock that. I'd love it if we can start winning trophies more regularly again.

But I repeat, their league performance over the past few years has been slightly worse than ours. And league performance is how most wise judges really rate the quality of a team. Over the past five years, they have finished 4th once, 5th twice and 9th twice, with an average points tally of 56.8. Spurs have finished 4th twice, 5th twice and 6th once, with an average points tally of 68.4.

All of which you know already, of course...........having checked wikipedia. ;)

Going back ten years isn't recent in the context of this discussion (i.e. Fazio's time in the team). So, overall, I think it perfectly reasonable to reply "not really" to your claim that Sevilla have been "far more successful" than Spurs.

If we're getting him it's because our transfer team thinks he's good enough to improve us and that he's good enough value for money to make the move happen.

I would much rather see Poch get someone he thinks will work than to stick with someone who he doesn't think will work. Considering what he did with Lovren at Southampton last season I would much rather take the risk than take the risk of not signing someone Poch and Baldini thinks we should get.

Demichelis is very good.

Agreed.

They have been more successful in terms of cups, certainly. And I definitely wouldn't knock that. I'd love it if we can start winning trophies more regularly again.

But I repeat, their league performance over the past few years has been slightly worse than ours. And league performance is how most wise judges really rate the quality of a team. Over the past five years, they have finished 4th once, 5th twice and 9th twice, with an average points tally of 56.8. Spurs have finished 4th twice, 5th twice and 6th once, with an average points tally of 68.4.

All of which you know already, of course...........having checked wikipedia. ;)

Going back ten years isn't recent in the context of this discussion (i.e. Fazio's time in the team). So, overall, I think it perfectly reasonable to reply "not really" to your claim that Sevilla have been "far more successful" than Spurs.
Fair comments Jimmy, and I take your point. I'll go with Milo's slightly less ambitious 'more successful' then. By all means have the last word, but I don't want to argue this anymore, no point in derailing the thread :)

Last edited:
Back