• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Favourite/Least Favourite Grounds

Libero

Jose Dominguez
After a little bit of thinking about what grounds I have been to, especially watching Spurs, It made me think about what grounds I liked best and disliked the most. Im sure quite a few on here have been right across the country and world watching Spurs so it would be interesting to see what grounds crop up the most aside from White Hart Lane.

Favourite Ground(s) in UK:

Craven Cottage - Proper old school stadium which has a lovely feel, especially on a warm day by the Thames.

Villa Park - Again, a proper old school ground with a massive capacity for its age. Full of history and a great atmosphere when it gets going.

Etihad - New age stadium that sounds great when everyone is at it. Was up there for the Carling Cup game when we won 0-2 in Dec 2007 and the atmosphere was amazing. Lovely flowing design and good views all round.

Worst Ground(s) in UK:

Vicarage Road - Totally outdated stadium that needs to be demolished and rebuilt, barely fit for purpose.

Elland Road - Right out of the way, pain to get to from the city centre and awful fans.

Reebok Stadium - Identikit stadium that looks like it was put together elsewhere and just plonked there. Poor atmosphere and never seems at capacity.

Best Continental Ground:

San Siro - Have to say that at night, under the lights, it just about pips the Nou Camp. Whilst its quite dated in terms of decor and concourses it just oozes atmosphere. The 0-1 win against AC Milan was possibly one of my best nights watching Spurs. Atmosphere was great, both teams were very good and the torrential rain seemed like the final ingredient against the floodlights to make it feel a very dreamy place.

Favourites:

The Brittania- great atmosphere
The Bernabeu- the history of it, the trophy room my word!
Nou Camp

Least:
Turf Moor
Kenilworth Road

After a little bit of thinking about what grounds I have been to, especially watching Spurs, It made me think about what grounds I liked best and disliked the most. Im sure quite a few on here have been right across the country and world watching Spurs so it would be interesting to see what grounds crop up the most aside from White Hart Lane.

Favourite Ground(s) in UK:

Craven Cottage - Proper old school stadium which has a lovely feel, especially on a warm day by the Thames.

Villa Park - Again, a proper old school ground with a massive capacity for its age. Full of history and a great atmosphere when it gets going.

Etihad - New age stadium that sounds great when everyone is at it. Was up there for the Carling Cup game when we won 0-2 in Dec 2007 and the atmosphere was amazing. Lovely flowing design and good views all round.

Worst Ground(s) in UK:

Vicarage Road - Totally outdated stadium that needs to be demolished and rebuilt, barely fit for purpose.

Elland Road - Right out of the way, pain to get to from the city centre and awful fans.

Reebok Stadium - Identikit stadium that looks like it was put together elsewhere and just plonked there. Poor atmosphere and never seems at capacity.

Best Continental Ground:

San Siro - Have to say that at night, under the lights, it just about pips the Nou Camp. Whilst its quite dated in terms of decor and concourses it just oozes atmosphere. The 0-1 win against AC Milan was possibly one of my best nights watching Spurs. Atmosphere was great, both teams were very good and the torrential rain seemed like the final ingredient against the floodlights to make it feel a very dreamy place.

Have to disagree with you about the Reebok. It's not an identikit ground. In fact, it's one of the few new stadia built at that time that isn't identikit. It's actually a pretty good and individual design.

Have to disagree with you about the Etihad too. Always thought the atmosphere there was a bit brick. Roof too high above the stands so any noise just drifts away.

Agreed with you about Craven Cottage, though. Definitely one of the best away grounds. Also agree with you about Villa Park.

Worst English ground for me is Goodison. It's not charmingly old fashioned. It's just the worst view in football.

On the continent, my favourite has to be the Bernabeu. Huge but still somehow intimate. A proper football stadium. Oozes history. And right in the middle of the city - not stuck out in some godforsaken, soulless suburb.

It reeked of liquor, tobacco and testosterone. An opera house on steroids. The Bernabeu.

Pierre Litbarski flicked sweat on me over the hoardings at the '82 World Cup. Could barely see England-Germany from the upper deck because of cigarette smoke. Loved the fact they had vendors there lugging big wooden trays around the stands with various bottles of brandy and other spirits. When Spain played there, the place just seethed and heaved with emotion. The city rocked all night. I'll never enjoy a better stadium experience.

Scariest place - Nezahualcoytl, suburban Mexico City. Destitute area. Foreigners absolutely could not leave the stadium without being robbed. Clusters of bad-uns gathered outside, no security. I swear the cops were in on it.

Funniest stadium experience - The old Hampden Park. Went with Celtic supporting friends to see a Cup final with Rangers. Segregated approaches but some ferocious banter when the two sides got close. Celtic had the end with no roof. Sweltering hot day. Everybody with their shirts off and turning violently pink. Standing on cinder stone terraces reeking of tinkle, guys refilling cans of MacEwans as quickly as they drank them.

The Rangers end had a roof. The cinder terraces had become dry and dusty in the warm weather. Rangers won and with each goal, the fans jumping up and down raised huge clouds of grey coal dust that just hung in the air. They looked like miners after the match. Some Celtic fans were hoping they'd let in six, just to see Rangers fans choke on the dust. Got clear of both groups as quick as possible after the match. Davie Cooper was dazzling.

Least favorite - Elland Road. Got to hear the hissing and Auschwitz song first hand. And a lot more. Unforgiveable.

I actually loved trips to Highbury back in the day, but perhaps not for the greatest reasons (turf wars won with me not exactly wading in but happy to be on the North Bank for the victory lap as a teenager!)...
Always enjoyed Maine Road, and have to say, always enjoyed my day out at Eastlands.
Anfield is a great ground whatever anyone says.
Goodison too, really old school.
City Ground, Forest, good place.

Turf Moor was a brickhole for sure.
The old St.Andrews was brick too, and the new one isn't much better.
Vicarage Road is a dump.
Maracana was a massive, massive let-down.

Yes, the Bernabau is a special, special stadium indeed. I understand why players want to go there...

The worst ground i have ever been to is Oldhams, always tinkles down and is cold and a real dump.

other than the Lane my favourite is the Bernabeu, its absolutely amazing and the noise is unbelievable

the worst I have been to structurally is Gillingham, although i expect its improved since I was last there, there was fencing and uneven terracing back then, the jacks was a trench in the ground under a corrugated iron hood

the one i hate above all else though is the reebok, its always fudging cold even in the sun and it takes hours to get out of the car park

I thought the Bernabeu was like going to the opera? Never been there myself

My favourites are: WHL, Camp Nou, Millerntor.

I like: Fulham, West Ham, Birmingham, West Brom

I dislike: Old Trafford (most boring ground in the world - like the new Wembley), Liverpool (what a brick hole), Camp Nou (take your binoculars and a radio)

Grounds I refuse to go to: Deathstar (I will not enter this ground for as long as live)

It reeked of liquor, tobacco and testosterone. An opera house on steroids. The Bernabeu.

Pierre Litbarski flicked sweat on me over the hoardings at the '82 World Cup. Could barely see England-Germany from the upper deck because of cigarette smoke. Loved the fact they had vendors there lugging big wooden trays around the stands with various bottles of brandy and other spirits. When Spain played there, the place just seethed and heaved with emotion. The city rocked all night. I'll never enjoy a better stadium experience.

Scariest place - Nezahualcoytl, suburban Mexico City. Destitute area. Foreigners absolutely could not leave the stadium without being robbed. Clusters of bad-uns gathered outside, no security. I swear the cops were in on it.

Funniest stadium experience - The old Hampden Park. Went with Celtic supporting friends to see a Cup final with Rangers. Segregated approaches but some ferocious banter when the two sides got close. Celtic had the end with no roof. Sweltering hot day. Everybody with their shirts off and turning violently pink. Standing on cinder stone terraces reeking of tinkle, guys refilling cans of MacEwans as quickly as they drank them.

The Rangers end had a roof. The cinder terraces had become dry and dusty in the warm weather. Rangers won and with each goal, the fans jumping up and down raised huge clouds of grey coal dust that just hung in the air. They looked like miners after the match. Some Celtic fans were hoping they'd let in six, just to see Rangers fans choke on the dust. Got clear of both groups as quick as possible after the match. Davie Cooper was dazzling.

Least favorite - Elland Road. Got to hear the hissing and Auschwitz song first hand. And a lot more. Unforgiveable.

=D> wonderfully described.

One of the worst ive been to is Selhurst Park..

I remember paying £35 in the Arthur Waite stand last time they were in the PL, crap stand no facilities and we lost 3-0

My favourite, WHL nowhere else comes close

other than the Lane my favourite is the Bernabeu, its absolutely amazing and the noise is unbelievable

the worst I have been to structurally is Gillingham, although i expect its improved since I was last there, there was fencing and uneven terracing back then, the jacks was a trench in the ground under a corrugated iron hood

the one i hate above all else though is the reebok, its always fudging cold even in the sun and it takes hours to get out of the car park

I went to Priestfield a few times when they had the fencing in. I agree it was a horrible ground.

Selhurst Park is a dump. Been to Villa Park once and it only confirmed my impressions from watching on tv. Just like the club and the fans it's utterly dull, bland and boring. Looks okay from the outside though.

Quite like Griffin Park. Best one I've been to is Westfalen Stadion. Great atmosphere and you get to drink beer in the stands.

Don't know if anyone else here went to the Seville game out there a few years back but that was a brickhole. Cracks in the stadium, would no way pass a check over here! Leaks from the ceiling inside, brick toilets, and to compound it all getting the brick kicked out of us by the spanish police!

Don't know if anyone else here went to the Seville game out there a few years back but that was a brickhole. Cracks in the stadium, would no way pass a check over here! Leaks from the ceiling inside, brick toilets, and to compound it all getting the brick kicked out of us by the spanish police!

Yeh defo it was a health hazard

least favorite is the Madjeski - brick soulless ground in a brick soulless town.

I haven't been there since the '90s, but I was quite fond of the place. Mind you, I was in as a neutral for La Liga matches. I'm sure it wasn't meant to offer comfort to visting supporters. Tight, atmospheric, great sightlines from the upper deck. And a moat to make you wonder if all hell might break loose. The Mestalla in Valencia has similar qualities, just higher and steeper. Equally grungey. You'll miss these places when they're gone.

Selhurst Park is a dump. Been to Villa Park once and it only confirmed my impressions from watching on tv. Just like the club and the fans it's utterly dull, bland and boring. Looks okay from the outside though.

Quite like Griffin Park. Best one I've been to is Westfalen Stadion. Great atmosphere and you get to drink beer in the stands.

Yes, Selhurst is a dump. Appalling facilities.

And yet......I quite like it.

Always good for generating a fantastic atmosphere. Had some great times there - mostly against Wimbledon, among 16,000 + Spurs fans in the "away end" (which constituted the best part of three sides of the ground!). Steffen Iversen's scuffed winner in the League Cup semi final second leg victory in 99. Jurgen Klinsmann's four goals in a 6-2 victory to ensure our Premier League survival on the penultimate day of the season in 1998.

Yeah, Madjeski's brick...Old Trafford is really really boring, agree with Southy, promises so much but delivers nothing really...have to say, always a rare old crackle in the air at Upton Park, I mean, it's a bit of a brickhole but it's always a good laugh (unless we lose!)...Selhurst is very unmemorable for sure, and if anyone went to the former Plough Lane, well, I rest my case. Pompey = toilet (better since they put a roof on) and Brentford? Got to say I actually liked it for a grubby little place! Filbert Street was a bit brick (stuck in the corner) and Villa was much better when you stood behind that goal, these days it's (well) boring. 'Boro = brick and plastic, Geordies is a good laugh and if you want to see the pattern of a match it's excellent because from up there it's like watching dots on a magnetic board!!!!! Oh, always thought The Valley was good too...

asides from the obvious ones - i really like Craven Cottage - so unique, away fans get the whole end and it's a good area for a booze before/after the game. shame about the price though :eek:

went to the Azteca for a Club America game when i was in Mexico City - that was impressive, mainly for the sheer scale - obviously the facilities were a bit basic, although there is a lot to be said for being able to buy ice cold glass bottles of beer without having to leave your seat

Back