• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FAVORITE SPUR AS A KID AND FAVORITE SPUR NOW

I can see a lot of comments that echo my feelings. I don't usually have favourites and only occasionally will a player become one. Being good like Hoddle wasn't enough. There has to be something extra.

As a kid it would be Pat Jennings and Cyril Knowles. Perhaps my favourite ever is Ossie. More recently I was especially sad to see Modric leave as he could have grown into one of my all time favourites. Eriksen could too, if he stays long enough, which perhaps reveals something about the type of player I like.

Hoddle for me since i became aware of football in the very early 1980's.

I literally worshiped the man in a way thats just not possible anymore. Back then it never ever occurred to me that he could be transferred. He was the best player in the world so of course he was at Tottenham who were the best team in the world. Each point reinforced the other. Looking back i call this "Catch 10" after Hoddles number and Catch 22
clear.png

Two things always stood out the most to me About Glenn.

1. In my mind,, Maradonna, supposedly the best player in the world at the time (??! huh?) came to play in Ossies testimonial, but equally to wear the Spurs shirt and play next to Hoddle, i was convinced.

2. The tale end of the 87-88 season, there seemed to be some kind of thing going on between Pleat and Hoddle and Hoddle wasn't in the team. This was inconceivable to me and caused me all kinds of anguish (i was completely unaware he had announced he was leaving at the end of the season) Anyway, finally back in the team against Oxford United.

The elegance, the defenders reaction/non-reaction, the non-dummy dummy, the casual roll of the ball into the net, the salute to the fans, our bench reaction, the kid like look on his face. I almost burst from it. Things were going to be ok again...

Edit: Forgot to say my favourite current player, as strange as it is i have a soft spot for Danny Rose. Its his childlike aggression, will to win and the look of outrage on his face when he's fouled or gets a decision against him. He seems quite a serious lad, just makes me laugh more.

Hoddle for me since i became aware of football in the very early 1980's.

I literally worshiped the man in a way thats just not possible anymore. Back then it never ever occurred to me that he could be transferred. He was the best player in the world so of course he was at Tottenham who were the best team in the world. Each point reinforced the other. Looking back i call this "Catch 10" after Hoddles number and Catch 22
clear.png

Two things always stood out the most to me About Glenn.

1. In my mind,, Maradonna, supposedly the best player in the world at the time (??! huh?) came to play in Ossies testimonial, but equally to wear the Spurs shirt and play next to Hoddle, i was convinced.

2. The tale end of the 87-88 season, there seemed to be some kind of thing going on between Pleat and Hoddle and Hoddle wasn't in the team. This was inconceivable to me and caused me all kinds of anguish (i was completely unaware he had announced he was leaving at the end of the season) Anyway, finally back in the team against Oxford United.

The elegance, the defenders reaction/non-reaction, the non-dummy dummy, the casual roll of the ball into the net, the salute to the fans, our bench reaction, the kid like look on his face. I almost burst from it. Things were going to be ok again...

Edit: Forgot to say my favourite current player, as strange as it is i have a soft spot for Danny Rose. Its his childlike aggression, will to win and the look of outrage on his face when he's fouled or gets a decision against him. He seems quite a serious lad, just makes me laugh more.

One of the greatest goals ever.

Gascoigne was my first hero, absolutely loved him. Kind of strange one was that I also really liked Paul Stewart as well, especially when he got played in midfield, Barrel chest and put himself about. I had a funny mix really, I loved the flair players but also loved people who really got stuck in as well.

Going forward, players like Ginola, Klinsmann, Berbatov, Keane and Bale have been favourites but unsung heroes like Stewart and Dawson to use a recent example are always remembered fondly.

Gascoigne was my first hero, absolutely loved him. Kind of strange one was that I also really liked Paul Stewart as well, especially when he got played in midfield, Barrel chest and put himself about. I had a funny mix really, I loved the flair players but also loved people who really got stuck in as well.

Going forward, players like Ginola, Klinsmann, Berbatov, Keane and Bale have been favourites but unsung heroes like Stewart and Dawson to use a recent example are always remembered fondly.

Haha! I thought I was the only one that appreciated Paul Stewart! Tight fro man haha.

Haha! I thought I was the only one that appreciated Paul Stewart! Tight fro man haha.

I really think he is underrated by our support. He was expensive for the time in which he was bought, wasn't it £2.7m? Missing that penalty on his début probably didn't help and the crossbar is still shaking I think lol!

Scored some important goals for us and seemed to genuinely love the club while he was here.

Great thread and some really happy memories of some of the fantastic players we have had over the years. Loved Greaves and Gilzean (saw him score a trademark glancing header on my first Spurs game at the lane) then big Chiv, Lineker, Klinsmann, Sherringham, Keane, and Berba. As you can see, I love a goalscorer.

Today, following that theme, Kane has done brilliantly and if he continues in that vein we will have another legend. Eriksen has all the attributes to go on to be star at the highest level and if Benaleb continues to progress then we can have another in the Spurs hall of fame. Happy days.

As a kid there was only one player, and that was Ginola, just absolute magic day in, day out. I remember being told during a school trip to the south of France that Ginola had signed for Villa, I was absolutely gutted.

As for now, Pfft where do I begin Lloris, Eriksen and Kane, such fantastic players and also big fan of Mason and Bentaleb, if they can progress the way I think they can then long may their partnership continue! If I had choose it'd be Kane with Eriksen an incredibly close second.

Hoddle... yet to bond with any of the kids now, last one was Bale, rooting for him through his trials and tribulations and watching him mature into footballer and a man, feel like i have a special bond to him. still watch him and support him, and hope he returns one day!

Great thread and some really happy memories of some of the fantastic players we have had over the years. Loved Greaves and Gilzean (saw him score a trademark glancing header on my first Spurs game at the lane) then big Chiv, Lineker, Klinsmann, Sherringham, Kanoute , Keane and Berba. As you can see, I love a goalscorer.

Today, following that theme, Kane has done brilliantly and if he continues in that vein we will have another legend. Eriksen has all the attributes to go on to be star at the highest level and if Benaleb continues to progress then we can have another in the Spurs hall of fame. Happy days.

And of course , Bale! Don't know how I managed to forget him!,,

Gazza's brilliance probably got me hooked on football and confirmed Spurs as the only choice. Mabbs and Howells (glad to see him mentioned already) were proper club men through the nineties, was a sad day when they bowed out together (along with Jurgs, another favourite for obvious reasons).

Nowadays don't really have favourites, too old and cynical I think, although Hugo is brilliant, and it's good to see the youth teamers making their mark, hopefully a route more of them are able to take.

Back