• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FAVORITE SPUR AS A KID AND FAVORITE SPUR NOW

thfcsteff

Terry Dyson
I was sitting here thinking about this as time certainly changes what we look for and value the most...as a youth it was Glenn Hoddle, followed by Chris Hughton and Ricky Villa. All were dashing on their day, one was a GHod-like talent of prodigious talent who delivered more consistently than FedEx, and none were especially what you'd remember as 'tough' though I think Glenn was tougher than he appeared and I will never forget his cruncher on Waddock in 82 which set-up Roberts for the penalty run.

But right now, despite the sublime skills of Kane and sometime-sorcery of Eriksen, my favorite Spur hands down is Nabil Bentaleb. Since he got his run last season I've been a huge fan of what he brings to the side in so many ways, and his presence PLUS his fierce fealty to Tottenham Hotspur, just make him my favorite player of this era. To be fair, I feel an admiration for more members of this current Spurs side than I have for many years (I love the home-grown/youthfulness of us right now) but Nabil is just the business.

Any further thoughts?

Klinsmann as a kid - even if it was only for a season (and then later for a few months) his debut(?) goal and swan dive celebration and the Walking Along... song - great memories :D being at Selhurst Park when he scored 4 to ensure our safety against Wimbledon as well

nowadays i like an underdog and i have a big soft spot for Rose

As a kid? We are talking 1950s here! That would be George Robb down the wing. What impressed me most was his incredible energy and fight, when the rest of the team were playing utter s**** he would go on the rampage like a bloody raging bull, facking took it to them non-stop, would never give up.

Right now it has to be Harry Kane, carries that same fighting spirit as Robbo. no question we would have been deep in the brown stuff without him this season. Closely followed by Eriksen because of his intelligence, his sublime touches and invention as well as those magnificent FKs.

My earliest memory was getting Anderton and Ginola on the back of my tops so i would say, if i had to pick . . . Ginola, Unfortunately i was too young to witness the likes of Gazza and co and was only a year old when Hoddle left.

Now it would have to be Bentaleb as i do love the technical players who play football the right way and with a touch of class.

As a youth ....Ossie Ardiles , cos my own game was similar to his :rolleyes:

Presently , like Spur of the Moment , it has to be Harry Kane. At the final whistle of the NLD, I were so proud of him, I got a little teary eyed !...lol

I started supporting Spurs around the time of Chris Armstrong, so great players were few and far between for a few seasons. Ginola was the first name I had on the back of a shirt (and last actually) and I always liked Judas Campbell. Until he did what he did.

Last week I entered a competition to win a Spurs shirt, all you had to do was say who your favourite player was. It took me awhile to think about it, because it never crosses my mind, but I went for Bentaleb.

My timeline over the years - Hoddle, Clive Allen, Gazza, Ginolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Berbatov, Bale, Bentaleb/Kane/Mason

As a kid Teddy Sheringham.

Now - I don't have any connection maybe it's because it doesn't mean as much to me these days.

Gascoigne and Lineker as a kid. Although I had a soft spot for Spurs before, after Italia 90 Gazza and Lineker made me love Spurs and football even more. Was also a fan of Mabbutt and Howells.

Today I'd say Bentaleb. The guy is class and I have no doubts he will push on and be a top quality player.

Hoddle and Ossie as a kid, probably Bentaleb now, if he carries on developing at the current rate he is going to be one hell of a player.

As a kid, I'd have to say a mix of Lineker, Gascoigne, Mabbutt & Thorstvedt. Gascoigne's stay was brief, I only started supporting Spurs in 1990. So really, between Lineker, Mabbutt & Thorstvedt.

As for now my favourite player is Lloris.

Perryman as a kid; later Hoddle, Ardiles, Hazard, Gazza, Sheringham, King... Nowadays? Dunno. Probably Gary Mabbutt.

Probably unusual to go for a keeper, but Jennings was my hero as a kid. Followed by the one and only Hoddle!

Now Kane and Eriksen.

Almost the entire starting 11 from 1981/2 and now Bentaleb. If he were a Gooner he'd be covered in so much media jizzz right now. But he's ours!!!

Back